worst fauxtographer ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I don't mind of this thread turns towards ourselves.
It need not be a "who's the worst photographer here on TPF"-contest, though, since I don't like popcorn!

But we might try to find out if the "MWAC"-phenomenon is a worldwide one?
I'm asking this, in all honesty, because I don't see this trend in my country!

You are so lucky! I know it is extremely prevalent here in the US (seems like you can't go anywhere without tripping over one where I am!), and I have heard that it is becoming more popular in the UK... but I would have to let our UK members speak on that!

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."-- Henry Louis Mencken is widely credited with that quote, which goes wayyyyyyy back, approaching a century now.

"There's a sucker born every minute." P.T. Barnum.

BOTH of these men spoke the truth.

She was hurting someone.
She was hurting the clients by cheating them because, for the same money, she could have provided pictures in focus- reasonably colored and within some sort of normal OK-ness.
It wasn't her prices that I was quibbling about; it was her lack of interest or drive to do it at all well.
If a sidewalk vendor doesn't refrigerate his food because he's lazy and so his clients have a decent chance of getting sick - AND THE CLIENTS DON"T KNOW- I don't think it is wrong to criticize the vendor.

'What we won' is that someone actually got and responded to a message, maybe she'll actually hear it and try to learn something.

oh come on. She wasn't hurting anyone. That is like saying Express stores are hurting men for providing skinny jeans. If people like it, they buy it. They are not forced into it.

It makes NO DIFFERENCE if this person is a man or a woman--that's NOT the point. The point is that the work they are selling is sub par. Period.

exactly, it makes no difference. So why label them MWAC?
But you are taking as Mothers With a Camera, you can change it to Men With a Camera... then BAM! instant gender change lol.

Bitter is spot on with his assessment. I didn't see this persons work before it was taken down and maybe it was as bad as you guys say but there's a line between criticism and being an a-hole. I always see comments that buying an entry level DSLR and shooting on auto doesn't make you pro. That's true enough but I think most would agree that if you give an amateur a P&S and have them take some pics then give them a DSLR and shoot some pics they're much more likely to get some decent shots with the DSLR. If someone wants to sell their services and they can find a buyer what business is it of yours? No one is forcing her customers to buy from her. If you want to run off the people that cater to lower income customers then you might as well start campaigning against Sears, Picture People, JC Penney etc. for the generic stuff they sell. Not everyone can afford to go to an artsy boutique photo studio and drop $500 on a family portrait. I read a lot of posts on this forum before I ever made a single comment so I knew going in you have to have thick skin and realize some people try to help and some are just trolling. Apparently there wasn't enough material to troll in the forum so now we have to hunt down material from outside the forum. It's kind of sad.

Charlie, you're a sexist pig....just sayin.

It makes NO DIFFERENCE if this person is a man or a woman--that's NOT the point. The point is that the work they are selling is sub par. Period.

exactly, it makes no difference. So why label them MWAC?
But you are taking as Mother's With a Camera, you can change it to Men With a Camera... then BAM! instant gender change lol.

How about Moron with a Camera... that could easily be non-gender specific!

Charlie, you're a sexist pig....just sayin.

I don't know how that could be.. I know I have lesbian tastes! ;)

Or did you mean "Sexy Pig".. I could go with that! lol!

paigew said:
No I don't think one is worse. But MWAC is used far more than GWAC. My point is that we should stay away from judgmental sexist stereotypes

Again, you're sensitive to MWAC because you happen to be a mom who prefers to shoot in natural light. You see this term used more because 1) MWAC's are more visibly seen at parks, swimming pools and at the neighborhood coffee klatches 2) it's your circle of influence. An MWAC is harmless.

At a shoot I did this past weekend the model thanked me for not being a creepy GWC. She told her friends about me and now I have more contacts for future practice shoots, all because I was normal and fun. That's my photographic world I shoot in. Knowing that for everyone like me there's 10 dudes out there using a camera to get in a models pants.

So yeah, sensationalizing MWAC for pity is a little comedic to me.

I seriously don't understand how anyone could be offended by that term, unless it hits a little too close to home for them.

cgipson1 said:
How about Moron with a Camera... that could easily be non-gender specific!

That's what I thought it meant the first time I saw you use the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back