Worst photo I've ever taken...Help!

ken2323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Umm...yeah I don't know what happend. I know I'm new but can you help me with better techniques that would improve this photograph in the future? I was taking picture of the house with a 30d. Either way the color's aren't right, the house is too dark...and so on and so forth.

What can I do (if I'm shooting into the sun again) to improve the quality of the picture? Of course I know flash too..

but this looks like a picture from the 70's. Thanks!

House.jpg

First of all, in this situation, you should avoid taking pictures with sun high up like that. You get much better colors and such early morning or when sun is setting.

You are going to run into this type of problem again if you continue to shoot at that time of day.

The angle of the sun will cause the sides of the house to be in shade.
If you expose for that area you will have the rest too bright.

Shoot on an overcast day ... or at least shoot when the sun is at a different angle.

A lens hood probably would have helped a lot. If you don't have one, get one - and use your hand until then.

Its not ideal shooting into the sun. If the shy is mega bright u might help by using a grad ND filter

1. Lens hood
2. Polarizing filter (which will work well when the sun is directly over head like that)
3. Meter on the house prior to shooting

I would say focus more on the house and less on the sky.
Wait till the sun isn't so high and bright.

Get a lens hood if you don't already have one.

Great for the info that was so quick! Overcast sky definitely won't happen here in Phoenix, lol it's always clear skies all day long.

From the naked eye it looked like a great shot of the house to play around with. It just sucks that the camera couldn't capture it.

Great for the info that was so quick! Overcast sky definitely won't happen here in Phoenix, lol it's always clear skies all day long.

Then shoot at sunrise/sunset. That's typically the best time to shoot, anyway (as a115whatever said earlier).

And definitely set the exposure on the house & take the picture. And, lower your camera to eliminate the lens flare.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back