Would it be too much if I . . .

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Handed out business cards at our last Lamaze class to all the expecting parents for a free 1 hour photo shoot? All I would ask in return is to be able to use pics in my portfolio (IE model release ect.) In return I would be willing to give at least one framed/matted high res 8x10 of thier choice. There are about 6 other couples so I'm not talking about a whole lot of people here. It just seems a little too over the top to me, but then again I often think I am WAY to quiet and reserved to be in "people" photography to begin with so I could be WAY off on this :oops:

I tend to just let people know that I am a photographer if it comes up and have cards on hand if they ask for one. But, you could ask the instructor or even talk to the maternity staff at the hospital because they give away a lot of things to new parents at the hospital. I don't remember getting anything photography related in my folder, but there were lots of coupons, etc.

I got a Welcome Wagon baby visit (same type of thing Alison was referring to) and part of it was a free shoot and unframed unmatted 5x7 if I can rememver correctly. If you're not comfortable handing them out in person maybe check for something of the like in your area.

As for the Lamaze class I don't personally think it's over the top ... you're just making the offer, what could it hurt?

:D Good luck anyways

Definitely check with the hospital. The hospital where we had Molly has a photographer that is 'exclusive' to them and comes in for each new baby and does a photoshoot. Personally, I thought the guy's work was crap, especially at $80 for a single unframed 5x7, so I wouldn't let him in. :D But if you can get into that kind of gig with a hospital, it's gravy money.

$80 for an unframed 5x7? Ouch, talk about a rip. At least include an 8x10 or two, hehe.

Around here there is a welcome service that gives gifts to newly engaged couples, newborn's and another one, which I forget. I just found out about this today since my father and his fiancee just got it. This welcome wagon has something like 20 sponsors, each giving a gift and/or gift certificate. One of them is a local photographer that has a coupon for a free sitting and a free 8x10 print.

When I move to my new area im going to check into things to see if there is a service like this to get into. Could be a "cheap" way to advertise your business or make some money on the side.

I dont see any harm in offering this deal to them, but I wouldnt give it framed or matted, just an 8x10 and perhaps a contact sheet of the other pictures with it and a price list. This way they get a free picture and you get the practice/picture for your portfolio, and perhaps extra sales.

You could also do a similiar thing with the lamaze class for future classes. Work a deal out with the instructor? :0) Perhaps 10% of the sale from the initial portrait shoot that they refer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back