Would Love Your Feedback

jaimemiller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd love feedback about my photography that I have at jaimeshayemiller.com.
I'm an amateur and been at it for almost 1 year. I've sold a couple of prints.

Seems like I can't upload my photos to this section. ?

Are you attempting to hotlink, or upload directly from your computer? Check your file sizes, too.

I looked and I liked! I would have guessed you have been in it longer than 1 year. Great potential for such a short time.

As others have mentioned I very much liked the overall composition on most of them and in general think they are really good for the short time you have been at it. My only real criticism would be the unatual HDR look and what appears to be over sharpening on many of them.

The HDR look is not overdone in my opinion but to my eye seems apparent that you bracketed many of these shots and probably merged and tone mapped with some sort of HDR software. Its only my opinion but if you can pick up some more advanced manual blending methods using luminosity masks to blend your bracketed exposures it would really boost these images to the next level I think. Especially with the landscapes.

It could just be how the webpage is displaying your images but when I magnify they seem over sharpened to me. These are just my opinions please take them for what they are worth. :)

As others have mentioned I very much liked the overall composition on most of them and in general think they are really good for the short time you have been at it. My only real criticism would be the unatual HDR look and what appears to be over sharpening on many of them.

The HDR look is not overdone in my opinion but to my eye seems apparent that you bracketed many of these shots and probably merged and tone mapped with some sort of HDR software. Its only my opinion but if you can pick up some more advanced manual blending methods using luminosity masks to blend your bracketed exposures it would really boost these images to the next level I think. Especially with the landscapes.

It could just be how the webpage is displaying your images but when I magnify they seem over sharpened to me. These are just my opinions please take them for what they are worth. :)

I did not read any of the above comments until I had gone to your page, and whaddaya' know, I had the same feeling: too HDR-ish for my tastes. In a number of the desert southwest shots, the shadows are so open, and so light, that the shots scream HDR-tonemapped too much. To me, that looks wrong on this type of traditional, straightforward landscape shots that were made under normal, everyday lighting conditions.

I think "Serenity", your snowy landscape, is simply gorgeous!

Serenity by Jaime Miller

Are you comfortable with post photo processing techniques in Photoshop? Increasing contrast in some of the black and whites can really bring out more depth I think between fine layers in the natural structures in some. And cropping, have you tried cropping sides off of things? Just play around with copies. You can get right to the heart of the matter of interest in your subject if you take off a little here and there off on the sides or move the location of the subject around in space in the photo by doing so too.

Like your work. The composition is right on target for me. Most of them are darker than I would prefer but that's a personal opinion certainly.
Thank you. I will try to make them lighter in the future.

No, I haven't bracketed any of them. I shoot in RAW and edit using Photoshop. I do sharpen the images this way, and so maybe I've sharpened too much. I can try to cut back on the sharpening in the future. Thanks.

I did not read any of the above comments until I had gone to your page, and whaddaya' know, I had the same feeling: too HDR-ish for my tastes. In a number of the desert southwest shots, the shadows are so open, and so light, that the shots scream HDR-tonemapped too much. To me, that looks wrong on this type of traditional, straightforward landscape shots that were made under normal, everyday lighting conditions.

I think "Serenity", your snowy landscape, is simply gorgeous!

Serenity by Jaime Miller
Thank you for your compliment on "Serenity". I don't use any HDR software and have no idea what HDR Tonemapping is. When you say the desert shots have shadows that are "so open" what do you mean? Also, you think my shadows are too light? Would more contrast take care of that? Thank you.

Are you comfortable with post photo processing techniques in Photoshop? Increasing contrast in some of the black and whites can really bring out more depth I think between fine layers in the natural structures in some. And cropping, have you tried cropping sides off of things? Just play around with copies. You can get right to the heart of the matter of interest in your subject if you take off a little here and there off on the sides or move the location of the subject around in space in the photo by doing so too.
Thanks. Will keep this in mind.

Yes...shadows need to be darker to be "shadows"...and not middle toned areas.

Most reactions

Back