Would mirrorless will take over DSLR very soon?

Thank you, everyone.

Mirror less is not new, I have a decades old Olympus C740 with a video view finder. I has a then stated of the art 3.2 megapixel sensor and 10 x zoom. There is no detectable mirror movement, noise or vibration but the video view finder does go blank during the exposure. It does not have inter-changeable lenses.

If mirror less was such a great boon to the overall camera market, I would have thought the industry would have been marketing them years ago.

My personal opinion is, with the advent of phone cameras, the number of hobbyist camera users has dropped so the market is leaning towards the Pro and serious amateurs who are willing to spend a few more bucks, if they decide they need the advantages of mirror less. My choice is battery life but I do not need quiet or 100% image time.

Also considering the human eye blink is said to between 1/10 and 3/10 of a second and the eye blinks every 15 seconds. I doubt that in my photographic situations, I would even notice the difference. Other photographer's setting may need it.

To answer the OPs question, I believe that the majority of photographer will choose battery life. So until super batteries become available, DSLRs will the predominant choice.

To answer the OPs question, I believe that the majority of photographer will choose battery life. So until super batteries become available, DSLRs will the predominant choice.

Battery life has to be at least reasonable.
But reasonable depends on how the camera is used.

To back up your statement, my D7200 will easily go a full weekend on a single charge, continuous ON for 6+ hours each day, and shooting about 800+ shots.
But my mirrorless Olympus EM1-mk1 will only last 4 hours, continuous ON.
This 4 hour run time drops to 2-1/2 hours if I use the Sync-IS lens. :eek:

I have 1 primary and 1 spare battery for my D7200. But I have never used the spare battery, cuz I have never drained the primary battery.
On the other hand, I have used THREE batteries in a 12 hour day on the EM1-mk1. I now have FOUR batteries + 1 spare (total of FIVE), to safely get me though a hard day of shooting.

Last edited:
Considering that there are still film cameras and turntables for vinyl records, I would say no.

For me the lack of battery life and the shutter lag puts me off
I have tried and gave up and went back to Dslr

Nothing quite as satisfying as needing 5 batteries to make it through a single football game. I am of course referring to dPreview's article on shooting a single Seahawks football game with a Sony mirrorless

Nothing quite as satisfying as needing 5 batteries to make it through a single football game. I am of course referring to dPreview's article on shooting a single Seahawks football game with a Sony mirrorless

I shot a graduation with my EM1-mk1, and the battery died JUST before the tassel turn. Boy was I pissed.
That 2-1/2 hour run time goes by FAST.

I could not find that article.
I was interested in the details of that shoot, as 5 batteries for a single FB game does not sound right.

This article was written several years ago and they were using a Sony A7 something and shooting quite a bit. They exhausted four full batteries and before the end of the game they inserted the fifth and final battery. At the time the Sony A7 models were known as real battery Hogs. As I understand it this has somewhat been mitigated. We should probably keep in mind to that they were shooting a lot come up as in every play over about a three and a half hour NFL football game.

The article was probably written four years ago, if my memory serves me correctly.

This article was written several years ago and they were using a Sony A7 something and shooting quite a bit. They exhausted four full batteries and before the end of the game they inserted the fifth and final battery. At the time the Sony A7 models were known as real battery Hogs. As I understand it this has somewhat been mitigated. We should probably keep in mind to that they were shooting a lot come up as in every play over about a three and a half hour NFL football game.

The article was probably written four years ago, if my memory serves me correctly.

Ah OK. The camera itself was known to be a battery hog.
Performance over battery life. And they probably used a low capacity battery, because it was physically small, so that the camera could be made small.

The other is the lens. How much power does the lens draw from the camera.
That is the problem with the Olympus 12-100/4 lens. With the lens stabilizer on, that lens sucks battery power. It cuts my battery life by almost 40%.

The solution is in 3 parts, which has to be balanced.
  1. Reduce the power consumption of the camera.
  2. Reduce the power consumption of the lens.
  3. Use a LARGER capacity battery.
#1 - But adding more features to the camera, and a faster processor, both use more power.
#2 - Olympus' new EM5-mk3 has a similar size battery as my EM1-mk1. Even if they reduced the power consumption of the camera, IF I put the power sucking 12-100 lens on the EM5-mk3, the battery life would take about a 40% hit, just from extra power that the lens takes. Hopefully the next generation of that lens will use less power.
#3 - Olympus' solution on the EM1-mk2 was a battery with 40% more capacity.

Mirror less is not new, I have a decades old Olympus C740 with a video view finder. I has a then stated of the art 3.2 megapixel sensor and 10 x zoom. There is no detectable mirror movement, noise or vibration but the video view finder does go blank during the exposure. It does not have inter-changeable lenses.

The term mirrorless has come to mean a interchangeable lens camera with the sensor used for a viewfinder. So your C740 is not classed as mirrorless, any more than a simple box camera is. The first camera meeting this description was I believe the Panasonic G1 which was released about a decade ago. So not new but not as old as you are making out. Electronic viewfinders have been around for much longer, as have interchangeable lenses but the combination is what makes the class up.

Viewfinder delay was noticeable with the earlier models, but with recent models is extremely hard to spot.

I've been shooting mainly mirrorless models for the last 5 years, their advantages for non action shooting have far outweighed the poorer battery life, changing a battery before it runs right down is easy. I can only remember one occasion when the battery (a cheap 3rd party model) died unexpectedly. I thought I'd failed to get a shot of the heron taking off (certainly missed the chance for some close in flight shots). On fitting a spare battery I found I had got the initial take of shot safely saved on the card - framing was a little tighter than I'd have liked but that's not the batteries fault :)

There are signs pointing to an increase in the mirrorless market. Not only are there new customers buying mirrorless cameras, but there is also a fair amount of switching going on. DSLR sales have dropped consistently over the past few years, whereas the mirrorless market is increasing slowly. Even Canon and Nikon have moved significant resources to the research, production and marketing of mirrorless cameras. Today's mirrorless cameras perform almost as well as DSLRs, better in some areas and worse in some other areas. All these factors point to the eventual dominance of mirrorless cameras.
However due to the huge amount of customers who are sticking on to their DSLRs, it is safe to say that it will take quite a while.

Mirrorless has already taken over DSLR in my house. ;)

Nikon Z6 shooter now, and loving it. YMMV, but I haven't had any particular issues with battery life. I don't get the run time I got with my D610 or D7200 but it is totally usable. I can shoot several hundred stills on a battery.

Having spent a huge amount of time, effort, GBP, gifts from b day,Christmas and anniversary to get my canon DSLR set up to the current point. There is no way that I can change. My system suits what I do. I have various cameras that are not DSLR and either have electric viewfinder of view on screen at the back but like the canon they are used for a reason. Eg camera trap/a night vision camera. Yep I know I am a fossil, I realised that when I found out that PS meant photoshop or a game concept and not a post script on a letter. And even more frightening that lol means laughter out loud or something and not
lens over leg, on tripods,

I realised that when I found out that PS meant photoshop or a game concept and not a post script on a letter. And even more frightening that lol means laughter out loud or something and not
lens over leg, on tripods,
I'm afraid there are a great many more abbreviations with multiple meanings - MF for manual focus and Medium Format is one that catches me out regularly.

WRT your existing Canon hardware there are adapters that will allow your lenses to work (with AF etc) on practically any mirrorless body.
Not suggesting you should change to mirrorless now - but it may be the best option by the time your current body needs a replacement.

Most reactions

Back