Would mirrorless will take over DSLR very soon?

That’s interesting, did not know current lenses could be used albeit via adapter
Thanks will rem that

That’s interesting, did not know current lenses could be used albeit via adapter
Thanks will rem that

NOT ALL dSLR lenses will work with ALL mirrorless bodies.
You have to look at your specific combination, to see if it is supported.
Example: As of when I did my research, there were NO adapters that would provide communication between any Nikon lens and a m4/3 camera.
This means that the Nikon lens is auto-nothing, on a m4/3 camera; no auto focus, no aperture control from the camera, no VR, no auto opening of the aperture, no nothing. You are essentially back to pre-1950s lens control.​

NOT ALL dSLR lenses will work with ALL mirrorless bodies.
You have to look at your specific combination, to see if it is supported.
Example: As of when I did my research, there were NO adapters that would provide communication between any Nikon lens and a m4/3 camera.
This means that the Nikon lens is auto-nothing, on a m4/3 camera; no auto focus, no aperture control from the camera, no VR, no auto opening of the aperture, no nothing. You are essentially back to pre-1950s lens control.​
Full manual operation (pre 60's) is AFAIK achievable with all DSLR lenses & nearly all SLR lenses (Minolta's Vectris mount is one of those that are not practical, due to being very low volume & fully electronic).
Try researching again, AF adapters for Nikon are starting to appear now. I think they're still first generation so not reliable but it's coming.
The OP uses Canon's EOS lenses which are I think supported by every mirrorless system other than Pentax's K-01 (which uses a SLR mount)

I imagen that by the time I am ready/forced to change that there will
A. No choice and have to go to current design whatever that is
B. There will be universal adapters
C. I will have won the big lottery and will buy a compleat new system prob med format.....not lightly to happen ....
Who know the next change in photography will be an implant in the eye that takes images and stores them
The eyeball mk2.2

Does anyone think that politicians and other celebrities will soon demand silent shooting at events? Right now, all you hear are the shutters clicking.

Does anyone think that politicians and other celebrities will soon demand silent shooting at events? Right now, all you hear are the shutters clicking.

The difference in sound between the D800 and D810 is substantial. I'm assuming because of the electronic front curtain.

There are few places that they can force the issue.
The White House is one, because they control the access. Play by the rules, or you don't get access.
Other than the WH, the politicians and celebrities can demand all they want, but the they won't get it. They would have to screen all the cameras, by someone who knew what they were looking at.
And when they put still and video cameras in the same place, the video cameras will pick up the shutter noise.

The White House is one, because they control the access. Play by the rules, or you don't get access.
Other than the WH, the politicians and celebrities can demand all they want, but the they won't get it. They would have to screen all the cameras, by someone who knew what they were looking at.
And when they put still and video cameras in the same place, the video cameras will pick up the shutter noise.

most of the new mirrorless camera models now have silent electronic shutters
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

most of the new mirrorless camera models now have silent electronic shutters

Does not matter.

There are probably a LOT more dSLRs in use by the press than mirrorless.
It will take years for the dSLRs to be replaced by mirrorless.

Unless you can control access, like the WH, where you can TELL the press that they will be be allowed access only if they use a "silent shutter" camera, it won't work. And the teeth is to stop the press conference, eject the photographer, revoke their press access, and even revoke the press access of their news agency. They follow the rules, or else they loose access.

When press of various news agencies and organizations come to a city, state, Hollywood or other press conference or event, how do you propose to control them?
Is the organization that wants publicity going to turn away the press?

Do you really expect a "screener" looking at cameras to know a mirrorless from a dSLR.
It may come down to "show me." "Turn on the camera and press the shutter."
It will be like TSA screening, with a massive log jam at the photographer's screening table.
Or will they stop the press conference, and kick out the photographers with the noisy cameras.
And will those photographers then complain about violation of "freedom of the press."

the "takeover" is almost complete

So you think there will be NO MORE shutter/mirror sounds at ANY press conferences, sporting events, etc.

Well, it AIN'T complete.
For every mirrorless camera that I see, I see (or hear) at least five dSLRs.
And I have yet to see a mirrorless for sale in Costco.

This is akin to the old V8 engine issues.
Mirrorless has some extremely high advantages over SLR's in general mostly and I think its deliberately so, the fact that you can mount almost any modern lens to one and have it work.
This is because of the extremely short focal distance and mounting distance where almost all slr lenses run the 44mm distance, every adapter is designed for the longer lens focal distance and thus almost all such can be mounted.
The only real exception are the shutter plan lenses like the Hassy's.

IMO SLR's are not long for the world. Given that you can mount any 35mm lens on any of the new Hassy/Fuji Mirrorless and not have vignetting is a huge plus.

As for the press corps issue, try nature photography, sporting events, WEDDINGS!!!

I see nothing but advantages witht eh only real disadvantage of the viewfinder issue.

Mirrorless has some extremely high advantages over SLR's in general mostly and I think its deliberately so, the fact that you can mount almost any modern lens to one and have it work.
. . .

As for the press corps issue, try nature photography, sporting events, WEDDINGS!!!

I see nothing but advantages witht eh only real disadvantage of the viewfinder issue.

". . . you can mount almost any modern lens to one and have it work"
One glaring exception, for me, you CANNOT use a current Nikon lens on a micro 4/3 camera (Olympus and Panasonic).
Last I looked, there were NO adapter that allowed communication between the lens and camera.
That means the lens is auto NOTHING; no auto focus, no ability to control the aperture from the camera, no VR, no auto opening aperture, and with the AF-P lens no ability to manually focus the lens (because the AF-P is focus-by-wire).
It is easier for me to use a 1970s manual lens on the Olympus, than a modern lens.
So while some combos work, other combos do NOT work.

There is another major issue, a comparatively short battery life, compared to a dSLR.
Depending on the camera/lens combo, it can be painfully short. 2-1/2 hours for one of my combinations, and even shorter for other camera/lens combos (from reviews). Yes, I can carry and do carry spare batteries, but for that one camera lens combo, I have to carry FIVE batteries, for a full day of shooting. And I have to pre-plan when to change batteries, so I don't go 'empty' in the middle of a shoot, which has happened. grrrrr :mad:
The basic problem is a mirrorless uses MORE power than a dSLR, but in order to keep the camera small, they did not use a LARGER battery.

Having said this.
#1, I just don't use other lens on my Olympus, problem solved.
#2, With technology advances, the power consumption might drop. But they could also put more power sucking stuff into the camera, off-setting the gain.
And the camera mfgs may finally bite the bullet and put larger batteries into the cameras.

. . .

". . . you can mount almost any modern lens to one and have it work"
One glaring exception, for me, you CANNOT use a current Nikon lens on a micro 4/3 camera (Olympus and Panasonic).
Last I looked, there were NO adapter that allowed communication between the lens and camera.
That means the lens is auto NOTHING; no auto focus, no ability to control the aperture from the camera, no VR, no auto opening aperture, and with the AF-P lens no ability to manually focus the lens (because the AF-P is focus-by-wire).
It is easier for me to use a 1970s manual lens on the Olympus, than a modern lens.
So while some combos work, other combos do NOT work.

There is another major issue, a comparatively short battery life, compared to a dSLR.
Depending on the camera/lens combo, it can be painfully short. 2-1/2 hours for one of my combinations, and even shorter for other camera/lens combos (from reviews). Yes, I can carry and do carry spare batteries, but for that one camera lens combo, I have to carry FIVE batteries, for a full day of shooting. And I have to pre-plan when to change batteries, so I don't go 'empty' in the middle of a shoot, which has happened. grrrrr :mad:
The basic problem is a mirrorless uses MORE power than a dSLR, but in order to keep the camera small, they did not use a LARGER battery.

Having said this.
#1, I just don't use other lens on my Olympus, problem solved.
#2, With technology advances, the power consumption might drop. But they could also put more power sucking stuff into the camera, off-setting the gain.
And the camera mfgs may finally bite the bullet and put larger batteries into the cameras.

I know there are always exceptions to the rule.
Fuji makes an adapter for the EOS lenses to communicate but batt. life will obviously be short.

But that's the current crop of things.
In time it may change.

Again, IMO with the new mirrorless hassy/Fuji MF cameras that allow the use of 35mm lenses, once I get that kind of cash to buy one, all bets are off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back