Would mirrorless will take over DSLR very soon?

Mirrorless has already taken over DSLR in my house. ;)

Nikon Z6 shooter now, and loving it. YMMV, but I haven't had any particular issues with battery life. I don't get the run time I got with my D610 or D7200 but it is totally usable. I can shoot several hundred stills on a battery.
Agreed. I sold my 2.8 zooms and my former DF and D800 when I got the Z6. No looking back for me. Personal preference, you could say. I'm in love. Love the EVF and silent option.

Most politicians and celebrities want as much photo exposure as possible. Keeping their faces in front of the public is what they’re all about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

the "takeover" is almost complete

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

So you think there will be NO MORE shutter/mirror sounds at ANY press conferences, sporting events, etc.

Well, it AIN'T complete.
For every mirrorless camera that I see, I see (or hear) at least five dSLRs.
And I have yet to see a mirrorless for sale in Costco.

we will probably see MORE press conferences ..... but the revolution / evolution is HERE

Looks like Canon is still betting on the dSLR for the high end pros.
I just got a sales announcement of the new Canon 1DX-Mark 3, at a whopping $6,500.

Looks like Canon is still betting on the dSLR for the high end pros.
I just got a sales announcement of the new Canon 1DX-Mark 3, at a whopping $6,500.

That is my next one. Sold mine 5D III last month and going to get this one.

I still want to know what Canon is going to do with the mid/high end 1.6 crop market. The 7DII has not been updated with a III and it seems that rumour suggests there won't be a III. I really hope it just means we get new model line at the mid-high end iwth weather sealing and top end performance.

I have read through allot of post in this thread stating that it will take a long time, I’m not so sure about that. Sony has already taken the lead role in Japan on the FF market holding over 38% of market shares, it’s not the only market where that has happened. Yes dSLR is still the most sold on a global scale, but it’s dropping fast and it won’t take 10 years before Mirrorless FF cameras will be the dominant force, in fact with annual growth pr. Year then a very realistic scenario is closer to 5 years.

Sony has close to 25% global market shares, making them bigger than Nikon. And while the latter sees sales drop on a rapid scale, Sony is on the rise, at the time it very much look like they will be the biggest brand if this trend continues the next few years. Personally a 5 year horizon is realistic for Mirrorless to be the dominant force in gross unit sales. Especially as Canon and Nikon has entered the development and market.

However the overall camera market is suffering badly, Sony is one of the few sparks in the dark, and only Mirrorless somwhat holds its sales. This is why dSLR will die eventually, these products simply do not hold sales, Nikon had a drop of 26% in unit sales on the APS-C market, 14% on the FF market and 25% on fixed lens market. Canon only had a somewhat positive numbers on unit sales on the FF market, largely thanks to Mirrorless.

Last but not least Mirrorless FF encounter for approximately 60% of the Japanese FF market. This clearly indicate where it will end.

Last edited:
@malling, it will take a while to get the Mirrorless to the level of the 1Dx and the D5/6 for Professional sports and journalism. That being said, with the features in the 1Dx mark III, Canon appears to be heading in that direction. Probably not there yet but I could see the next iteration of the 1dx line being a mirrorless camera. When will that be? Most likely for the 2024 Olympic games. Make no mistake about it, this camera came out for that purpose this summer.

I look forward to seeing images with this camera and eventually owning one or two of them. But I am also excited about the possibilities of a Professional Mirrorless body as well. (I don't want to know what the R mount 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/2.8 is going to cost)

So some historical aspects here:
In the 1970's the "top End" SLR was the F. Canon followed along with many others.

The design was practical and efficient for film and essentially remained unchanged even up to today in general shape with the obvious exceptions of the grip and plastic "ergonomic bodies".

form follows function and the new mirrorless looks more akin tot he early 35mms of the 1950's.

As pointed out so many times in the past few weeks, disruptions in systems is normal. photography is no different.
there will be a call eventually for high end photography again as the iPhone fad (yes a fad) fades as people start to see the difference between their snapshots and pro set photo. It WILL happen!

But there will also be changes in the approach to photography and the means to make it.
form will follow function and until that point is reached, the call in the market is where the money is, and that at this point in time are cell phones.

I still want to know what Canon is going to do with the mid/high end 1.6 crop market. The 7DII has not been updated with a III and it seems that rumour suggests there won't be a III. I really hope it just means we get new model line at the mid-high end iwth weather sealing and top end performance.

I thought the 90D was the high end crop camera.
A scaling back/consolidation of the Canon APS-C dSLR line, in anticipation of migrating to the M50 et.al.

I thought the 90D was the high end crop camera.
A scaling back/consolidation of the Canon APS-C dSLR line, in anticipation of migrating to the M50 et.al.
IMO, this is the swan song of DSLRs.

Mirrorless is taking over, and moreover, because digital never really needed a shutter or mirror, its a logical progression.

For those of us who photography is just a hobby, there is no point lugging around heavy DSLR gear anymore.

The newly-announced Nikon D780 has introduced a hybrid type of focusing which takes a lot of the technology from the Z series mirrorless models and offers users two types of focusing both phase-detect and contrast detect and two types of viewing, so it will be interesting to see if this concept gains traction. If it does gain traction, it might be longer before manufacturers manage to migrate their user base to mirrorless. It's possible that we will see something as simple as a mirror flip up setting which will in effect turn a DSLR into a "mirrorless" Live View Camera.

The newly-announced Nikon D780 has introduced a hybrid type of focusing which takes a lot of the technology from the Z series mirrorless models and offers users two types of focusing both phase-detect and contrast detect and two types of viewing, so it will be interesting to see if this concept gains traction. If it does gain traction, it might be longer before manufacturers manage to migrate their user base to mirrorless. It's possible that we will see something as simple as a mirror flip up setting which will in effect turn a DSLR into a "mirrorless" Live View Camera.

Canon has already been doing this with the much better dual pixel af in a bunch of models including the new 1d, 5d and even the latest rebel -- Nikon is behind the curve here.

Canon is the go-to for video, so it's nice to see Nikon playing catch up to video shooters.

Unfortunately for Canon their dual pixel AF system has had a lot of problems. It remains to be seen how the Nikon AF system works in the real world, but I expect that we will be seeing the reports within a week from the leading websites. It's one thing to be first, and quite another thing to enter the market later but better. Samsung is a good example of this. For almost three decades now their goal has to been to let others open up Market segments, and then to see how the competitors have either failed or succeeded and to make a better product. A good example would be the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy series. Apple was first, and Samsung waited quite a while, but entered the market with an excellent line of products

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back