would you mind?

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking maybe to get my name out there to go to major open city functions & holiday festivals and asking if people would like their photo taken and provide them with a buisness card saying proofs would be online soon if they would like to view them and sell them for a small price.

Has anyone tried this and did it work for you?
&& if you havent done this would you consider or think "cheesy"

20 views and nothing...
this isnt one of those that require a lengthy reply.

yes i tried it, no i havent, i might would try it...
sounds like a bad idea... might turn out to be an ok idea...

anything?

Congrats on the Wife thing!!

I haven't tried it but it works for some I've heard. Getting a web site that won't charge you an arm and half another appendage is tough to do unless you know someone who is a web master and can plug you into an online printing firm.

I also know people who have portable printers that print on site to good effect.

HTH

Disney does that. They sell prints of about of abut 1-3% of all the pics they make.

Mostly they are stolen off line, even at the low res they are displayed at.

...oh, so does Dole.

You should check local regulations and how they might affect you. Some cities might consider you a vendor of sorts and require a permit.

The closest I have seen to a successful business built around such a thing was an event photographer who had a self powered, self contained, trailer with LCD monitors for visits to view, computers, dye sub printers and an assistant to take orders and run prints. It was a very impressive setup which promotes a sense of professionalism that sold photos.

Christina, I shoot quite a bit of event photography, and this is how I do it.

I get paid two different ways. I am either paid a flat fee by the event organizers or I am paid by the people attending the event- on a strictly cash basis.

Forget posting the shots on-line- you will not make much money like that.

I will give you an example of each way that I shoot events.

I have an awards banquet coming up in February. I have shot this awards banquet for the last few years. I am paid by the organizer to come in and set up an on-loction studio and shoot photos of all the attendees- either as singles or as couples with their spouse. I then provide the photos on-site, right there at the event. For this particular event, I will shoot about 100-150 couples. I have two assistants with me- one to help me handle the people and the other to man the photo printers. I run two Epson printers that print directly from compact flash cards. There is no need to hook the printer up to a computer. Of course, I carry over a dozen cards with me. When I shoot about a dozen couples, I hand the memory card to the assistant and load another card in the camera. She installs the card directly into the printer and starts making the prints. The largest size print I make is 4x6, which, when they come out, are placed directly into a nice card-stock, fold-over sleeve. The attendees are told to come back before they leave and their souvenir photo will be ready for them to take home at the end of the banquet. I also shoot PR photos of the folks receiving their awards and also snapshots of folks partying a bit after dinner. Those shots I post on a website just for fun. I leave them up on the website for approximately one month. I keep all the original files for up to one year, but it is extremely rare when I have someone who wants a re-print from an event. That is why I would advise you to forget about posting them on-line and trying to sell them that way. It can be done, and I know some event shooters that sell that way, but I am happy with the way I do it. When I walk away from that event, I could really care less if I ever hear from any of those people wanting re-prints. I want to make all my money up front and not have to worry about the hassle.

The other way is very much like the one above, except I am paid directly by the customer themselves. I live in a rural town outside of Dallas. My hometown has a big celebration every July 4th. I set up a boothe in the town square with a patriotic backdrop, lights, etc and I use the same Epson printers. Once again, the biggest print size I make is 4x6. I only charge the customer 10.00 for the shoot (which is a little under market here), but I make up for it in volume. We always tell the customer that their print will be ready in 30 minutes or less and to stop back by to pick it up. Always get the money up front when you shoot the photo.

Those are just a couple of bare-bone examples. There is more detail that goes into the shoots and if you need more info, send me a PM.

Hope this helps.

I've tried that.. it works to an extent... It gets people to check out my stuff... And ask me to do events, such as weddings or engagment pictures..but.. they typically don't buy the picture i did orginally.. Why? most people have digital cameras with them.

The best way to honestly get your name out there.. is myspace. I get nearly all my business from that.

I've tried that.. it works to an extent... It gets people to check out my stuff... And ask me to do events, such as weddings or engagment pictures..but.. they typically don't buy the picture i did orginally.. Why? most people have digital cameras with them.

The best way to honestly get your name out there.. is myspace. I get nearly all my business from that.

You get business from myspace! How do you do that?

Rick... I am encouraged by that. I have only tried the sell at events once. I made zero dollars! And frankly I lost money (around 200 dollars) but I think I went about it wrong.

It was for a band competition and I was to take individual shots during competition. I had a friend (not a photographer) help me shoot it and my wife and daughter work the booth. I even bought a printer to print out proof sheets for the band directors. All photos, numbered with pricing... everything!

I got totally burned. I took (proofed out AFTER the bad shots were deleted) 2300 shots for 12 bands. I even came home wrote nice cover letters, printed proof cd's using folders with the individual bands shots in them... nothing!

I vowed "Never, freaking again!" and I have even turned down some of these kinds of things. But with your method... I might give it another whirl. You've peeked my interest.

Rick... I am encouraged by that. I have only tried the sell at events once. I made zero dollars! And frankly I lost money (around 200 dollars) but I think I went about it wrong.

It was for a band competition and I was to take individual shots during competition. I had a friend (not a photographer) help me shoot it and my wife and daughter work the booth. I even bought a printer to print out proof sheets for the band directors. All photos, numbered with pricing... everything!

I got totally burned. I took (proofed out AFTER the bad shots were deleted) 2300 shots for 12 bands. I even came home wrote nice cover letters, printed proof cd's using folders with the individual bands shots in them... nothing!

I vowed "Never, freaking again!" and I have even turned down some of these kinds of things. But with your method... I might give it another whirl. You've peeked my interest.

Wow your experience kind of scares me alittle of doing this kind of thing. I live in a town of 10,000 people, not very many events. There are a lot of photographers starving for attention. hmm.. So I wonder if I could make something like what Rick is talking about, work... I guess you never know until you try, right?!

You get business from myspace! How do you do that?

It's quite easy if you are good at making friends online.
People always laugh when I say that I meet people on Myspace. It's a perfectly legitimate way. You meet people just like you would in person, only less awkwardly.

I've had a few people ask for pics...and I've turned them down...but still. The opportunity is there.

You just need to be friendly, and make friends with people. Get on people's top friends lists, and take pictures of people who have lots of friends (myspace whores)...

The untapped resource that is Myspace is ridiculous.

It's quite easy if you are good at making friends online.
People always laugh when I say that I meet people on Myspace. It's a perfectly legitimate way. You meet people just like you would in person, only less awkwardly.

I've had a few people ask for pics...and I've turned them down...but still. The opportunity is there.

You just need to be friendly, and make friends with people. Get on people's top friends lists, and take pictures of people who have lots of friends (myspace whores)...

The untapped resource that is Myspace is ridiculous.

Lol I am pretty good at meeting people online. I guess I am a lot less intimidating online than in person.. lmao!
Myspace so far has been fun, but I haven't thought about using it as a marketing resource...

I do most of my business off myspace as well. It is awesome because with the work i do ( music photography ) almost every band has a myspace. That make introducing yourself easy as well as they can see the work you have done. Get on a few bands top friends list, and they will come to you.

I may just have to try it out.

Thought about it but havent actually tried it. I have been more considering sending pictures to the local television news. They run a regular snapshot of the day thing and show the photo online and television with your name attached. The only thing stopping me really is the concept of "Snapshot" of the day, to me it seems they would be more interested in the local kids playing in the snow or whatever as opposed to portraiture or landscapes.

but it's an idea......

Most reactions

Back