Hell F- NO!
There are only two things I own that I don't let anyone on the planet touch. My camera and my laptop. I had relatives visit here not too long ago who wanted to use my computer whenever they came over from the hotel so they could check their email and web searches and so forth and who once they saw that I had a better digital than their little pocket cameras wanted to borrow my Fuji while they were here.
NO was absolutely my answer on both counts.
There are a lot of things I'll lend a friend or family member, but my best tech gear definitely isn't going anywhere, or being used by anyone else but me. If I want my own picture taken, well that's what a shutter release cable and the tripod are for. Usually that's not a problem though as I really don't like being on the model side of the camera and rarely will go there. If I am at a party or something I'll gladly take all the candid shots that are necessary to keep people happy, but I'm definitely the photographer, not ever the subject, and no one ever touches my camera. My friends and family they all know that to mess with my gear sans my permission is to pretty much risk dismemberment.
Might as well ask me to borrow my undies to wear for all the good it will do you!
Wow what a *****... no offense, but seriously - you don't let family check their email on your laptop? You'd rather set up a tripod, frig around with timers and trying to get the focus right on a self portrait rather than just hand the camera to someone for 10 seconds while you're watching? Only in america I guess.... you'd probably end up suing your family if they put a scratch on your laptop I guess
Oh gee, how rare, you must have nice, polite people in your family you can actually trust with all your most personal stuff and info! :lmao:
FYI, mine you CAN'T!
We're not really a close bunch and they rarely visit. When they do they usually come with a bit more of an agenda than merely hanging out with us. They rarely leave without trying to take half the house with them and they don't hesitate to pry in places they have no business in besides.
You know just because people share the same blood doesn't mean it's necessarily prudent to give people access to your personal computer and all your files. In my family that's a bit saying you're going to be gone for the weekend, showing the kids the keys to the liquor cabinet and expecting them not to throw a party the moment your back is turned.
Even if I could trust them to use my laptop for "just" email and the internet they would not replace it or my camera if they did break either. They'd just say "Ooops!" and that would be all the apology I'd ever get. Been there, done that, with far less important stuff I'm sad to say.
I actually only have ONE camera, my Fuji. It's not a toy. It's the first really serious camera I've ever owned to date and the only digital one I've ever owned that wasn't some kind of under $50 pre-owned pawn shop pocket type camera that didn't come with any manual settings and the like. The day I finally bought it, my first really GOOD camera? I felt like I had suddenly gone from riding the bus to acquiring the keys to a Porsche! Yeah, I take very good care of my toys and I don't let other folks use them!
When I have a decent DSLR with all the settings that I could ever dream of and all the proper lenses that I could ever wish for then they can borrow the Fuji with my blessing. Heck I'll GIVE them the Fuji and tell them to go for it. But if something should happen to this camera, right now, it would be a good 2 years at least before I could replace it and I just can't go there, risk that.
Not all of us can afford laptops and good cameras on a whim. Mine are admittedly pretty low end for a serious shutterbug, but they're all I've got. This camera was the best one I could afford when I bought it. My laptop is a cheap one, but it wasn't for me.
I can't just go out and replace those things if people break them.
Better I am a b- than a heartbroken wanna be photographer sans gear!