Would you post something like this craigslist ad?

Not for $200 I wouldn't. I'm worth more then that.

That's cold...MK

I search the CL ads every day just to see if there are any deals on equipment, and every day there are ads like this. Almost all of the people posting are "new to photography" or "wanting to build my portfolio". I would never post an ad for my services in Craigslist.

CL is no differant then *bay, you can sell anything on it and theres almost always someone out there to purchase your item or services. Although prob new and very cheap, this may be what someone can afford to pay who is on a fixed budget... Everyone has to start somewhere....Just my two cents.

This is true. Perhaps I am a little over judgmental. All in all maybe I'm just put off by the casual nature of the ad it just doesn't sound professional to me. Even if the photographer is new and just looking for experience I would think they would want to work on their wording a little bit. The parenthetical stuff works if you're posting something casual sometimes (I know I over use it like I am right now) but in an ad for a business it seems really out of place.

Well as tight as money is for most people, they maybe on the right track. Say they get one or two sessions a day, then they make at least 1K a week for 10 hours work. Which maybe all they want. Sometimes it is better to make fast nickles over slow dimes.

It's just an ad on a place to put ads where people look for ads.

Not for $200 I wouldn't. I'm worth more then that.
But your spelling isn't :lol:

Maybe I'm way off base but it seems like an ad for someone that bought themselves a D40 and now thinks they're a professional, or am I just over judgemental?
Doubtful, since she says she uses Sony DSLRs ;)

In all seriousness, it could be either, but I don't we are in any position to judge. Dare I quote KR and say "Your Camera Doesn't Matter"? OK, I'm not that extreme, I think it matters to a degree, but you can get equally-great pictures with a D40 or a D3.

Maybe she's a great photographer, maybe she's an idiot who thinks her Sony DSLR will take magically good pictures with fists of ham. We'll never know.

Yeah, we all have to start somewhere and you cannot knock people for having the initial "big ideas". We all need to eat, good luck to them.

I'm not sure I even know what a professional photographer is? I see photographers like I see music. There are only two types, good and bad.

Not in a million years would I post this kind of ad. I like to think that I have taken the time to become competent BEFORE I start charging people money for anything I do.

Charging low = low quality results. Think about it for a moment. The good photographer is not going to charge $200 for a wedding, and to be honest, photography is not rocket science, and anyone with a strong desire and a good eye and someone that has taken the time to focus their self-edification can become better than any of these $200 "wanna-be 'togs". I see them as nothing more than people charging clients to be their guinea pigs as they learn and flail about in their learning process.

LEARN to be a proper photographer before charging people, devote yourself to the business and if you are good enough, you can add some substantial income to your current situation. Some of the better ones will become full-timers and some will make a handsome yearly income... but VERY few.

Photography is a business like any other and the business of photography, in the end, it has very little to do with pressing a shutter button.

Maybe because I have an attitude of desire to deliver excellence in anything I do, that I think this way. But I sure as hell would not want to hire one of these wanna-be's, why would I want to *BE* one of them??

Some people budgets are 200 dollars and they get what they pay for maybe they get more or less depending on the skill of the shooter who maybe is just starting or just likes some side money.. Im sure there are some who expect 2000 dollars worth for 200 also.. after a few of them jobs they will move on up in price and out of that list lol..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back