WOW! Unique Style

Voski89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here, but I am not a newbie to photography.
I'm by no means a professional, but I do take it very seriously as a hobby.

Anyhow, there has been a certain 'look' or style that I've been striving to achieve for the longest time, yet I have no idea of how to achieve it.

The photographer I am trying to emulate is Evan Hunt (click name for portfolio).
Take a look at his 'People' subcategory under his Portfolio tab.

My guess is that he's using some sort of combination of dodging, burning, and perhaps some sort of Photoshop actions.
Obviously, he's lighting his subjects in such a way that (a) creates the effect in his photos, but (b) enhances the quality of his post-production work.

Anyone have ideas, tutorials, or resources as to how to emulate this effect?

-V-

To start off, his style is mainly achieved with offsite flashes. Like multiple 580 EXII's with probably soft boxes set up with the correct settings. Then he does add a lot of vignette to the photo, it's in the effects stuff (can't remember what it's called.) His stuff seems a little cartoonish though, probably a combination from high contrast and other settings, although I couldn't tell you what his exact paths were to getting this. I've never tried it because I prefer realistic photographs.

google luisart

Hmmm, interesting. Anyone able to confirm this?

The series of off-camera flashes + diffusers/softboxes seems probable. If anyone has any more technical advice or links to resources, tutorials, that would be great!

I don't believe he's using a simple vignette filter; it looks as though he is using a lot of dodging or burning, though. Nevertheless, the high contrast look is something I wish to emulate. It does come across as a bit cartoonish, but something in th effect resonates with me.

EDIT: I just Googled LucisArt, and it definitely looks relevant to what I've been looking for. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
my guess would be lots (LOTS) of exposures with and without models. there are some that the flashes were probably in the frame but with a "starter" shot he probably edits that out. i am assuming this by how soft his shadows are (if they're even the original shadows).

he seems pretty good at photography and even better at PP and things of the sort.

Looks like a bit HDR

Yeah,

I wouldn't call t/his technique unique much anymore - I've see a lot of this likes over the past 20 years or so. It's very good to be sure!

Thanks for sharing the link! :thumbup:

It's pretty simple lighting and a lot of unsharp masking in post.

Most reactions

Back