wow, what luck, new lens!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Pure, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When speaking of glass, the term "Pro" defines high quality. And it make no difference, DX, FX, MX or what ever. As long as the image circle from the glass will cover the sensor it's what ever works! I shot DX for over 6 years and never bought a DX lens. All full frame glass. This thread is a little amusing, the debate should be directed to the OP's question/statement and not the definetion of Pro glass as related to the sensor size.

So Pure, don't worry about the crop factor, these are great Pro quality lenses and worth the price. The SB-900 is available at B&H for 399.00 right now, so I would hold off on that.

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have to decide what you want, of course, however, just consider that:

1. I know quite a few D200 and D300 users that use this lens and are ecstatic with it.

2. Being capable of FF is *no* detriment. Indeed it is an advantage so if/when you go FF in the future, you already have the best glass on the market available.

3. If you let it slip by, the time you want to get these 2 lenses, it will be over $3200 to get them BNIB!

4. If you get both, sell one, that one lens could come out for you to something like $700-$900 instead of $~1600.

5. Top of the line Nikkor glass never loses a lot of value. I paid $1600Cdn for my Nikkor 70-200 and can get that *easily* today (a year later), becuase they went up since I bought it.

6. You can sell it and make money off it easily enough.

In the end, no one knows how passionate you are about photography, no one knows what direction you want to take your photography, no one can make the decision *but* you. No matter how good a deal, no matter how nice the results are, if it is not in your price range or not the direction you want to go... don't spend the money on it. :)

Edit: Now a SB-900 is tossed in. Interesting. Well, I had a chance to read the posts since this one and there is a lot of sincere advice on this thread. Do what you think is possible (I like the advice on no CC no loans :) ) and don't go overboard.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    There are some lenses that are pro labled, but that doesnt mean there aren't pro quality lenses that aren't officialy "pro"..
    Canon has a few EF-S lenses that are of excellent quality, they are crop body lenses... Canon doesnt give them a "L" but they are very nice! (some, not all lol..)

4. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've read all of your responses, and basically I'm going to buy the 24-70 from him for a decent price. He let me know anyway that one of his buddies is going to buy his 14-24 for like $1250 or something. So he's saving the 24-70 for me.

About the speedlight, do you guys think I should spend the $80 more for the 900 or get the 800?

5. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    *IF* you can afford it... there I will suggest the SB-800 for a couple reasons:

- Obviously it is less money
    - It accommodates DX and FF cameras wonderfully (I know from experience now)
    - It is only slightly less powerful than the SB-900 (less than a 1/4 stop)
    - It is lighter/smaller, though the SB-800 cannot be called a small flash
    - Besides a little more zoom to handle FX cameras, It does all the rest exactly the same as the SB-900.

Congrats on deciding to pick up a helluva lens for a fantastic price. No matter what, even if you decide later to sell it, you can always make money with it, but I really doubt you will, once you take a day to get used to it, and see how good it is, you will barely be able to even take it off your camera... lol

6. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    good choice with the 24-70. IF you dont like it sell it...

I have an Sb-800 and its awesome. I dont know what the difference b/t the 800 and 900 are though.

7. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Real life using both... very little in the end, and in his case... about $80... lol

8. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd rather get the 800 and not have to carry that huge flash around.

Right now I have an 18-55 crap glass and an 80-200, but the 80-200mm is too narrow for all around shooting, and this is going to be an amazing all around/walk around piece of glass.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like you are making the right choice - I definatly agree 80-200 is just too long for walkaround - I spent a weeks holiday with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS - fantastic lens, but it was my shortest focal range and it was just too long most of the time!
    All you are lacking in is a true wideangle lens, but unless landscapes are your main thing (which by reading here they don't seem to be) then I think you can hold off and save for a landscape lens later

10. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I mean my 18-55 is sharp, but the 14-24 would be nice :p

But if only I had epic amounts of cash....wheres Bill Gates when you need him?

11. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He is retired now. But hey Warren Buffet is still around, albeit he is in tears at this moment with all this Wall street chart against his expertize lately. He has lost few billions you know. Be kind to these people.

Since you still have a job you can prove yourself to be good person now - by donating your to be lens purchase to remedy his loss. What do you think, good idea? :D

12. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Eh a few billion out of his $50 or so billion is nothing.

Besides if they gave me $50,000 it'd still be like 1/1000000000 of their fortunes, pocket change.