What's new

WTB: ND filters (all strengths) GND filters (all strengths) CPL filter. Extention...

Well you know, I don't take well to being bullied around by someone. And I also don't plan on kissing up to somebody because I want something from them. I don't believe in that kind of thing :P I say " Treat others as you wish to be treated" If someone comes and disrespects me like that for no reason, I will not just fall on my back and say Hey there!.. I'm German, it's in our blood, we don't let that sort of thing just pass ;)
 
Nobody said you had to kiss up. Nobody expects you to kiss up. But you come in here as a new forum member and start taking offense at everything that gets said to you, and you absolutely and totally disrespect a long-standing member of the forum (who, by the way, in no way disrespected you or tried to bully you) while at the same time asking him to consider giving you a free lens? Seriously - you asked if there was a way to ban him from this thread! Do you honestly think that an attitude like this will help you get anywhere in this forum, let alone in life? Do you really think people are going to want to help someone out who walks around with the attitude you're displaying here?

As for Sparky's comment . . . you say you know you shouldn't get the cheapest of the cheap because it's not of a good quality while at the same time mentioning a $13 filter and its 5 star rating. Sparky comes in and says you can't expect a $25 filter to be as good as a $250 filter, and then you jump on him for being disrespectful. But you bringing up the $13, 5 star filter actually implies that you do think that the cheapest of the cheap is of a good quality! Otherwise, why else would you mention both the low low price and the high high star rating?

Look - for the most part, the folks on this site are very knowledgeable and very willing to share what they've learned in their years of doing photography, whether as a hobby or as a profession. And I'd venture to guess that they're pretty forgiving as well. I would suggest you adjust your attitude, re-examine your comments, and start over.
 
Last edited:
Nobody said you had to kiss up. Nobody expects you to kiss up. But you come in here as a new forum member and start taking offense at everything that gets said to you, and you absolutely and totally disrespect a long-standing member of the forum (who, by the way, in no way disrespected you or tried to bully you) while at the same time asking him to consider giving you a free lens? Seriously - you asked if there was a way to ban him from this thread! Do you honestly think that an attitude like this will help you get anywhere in this forum, let alone in life? Do you really think people are going to want to help someone out who walks around with the attitude you're displaying here?

As for Sparky's comment . . . you say you know you shouldn't get the cheapest of the cheap because it's not of a good quality while at the same time mentioning a $13 filter and its 5 star rating. Sparky comes in and says you can't expect a $25 filter to be as good as a $250 filter, and then you jump on him for being disrespectful. But you bringing up the $13, 5 star filter actually implies that you do think that the cheapest of the cheap is of a good quality! Otherwise, why else would you mention both the low low price and the high high star rating?

Look - for the most part, the folks on this site are very knowledgeable and very willing to share what they've learned in their years of doing photography, whether as a hobby or as a profession. And I'd venture to guess that they're pretty forgiving as well. I would suggest you adjust your attitude, re-examine your comments, and start over.
What you are saying here is mostly made of assumptions.. Here is why. 1:" But you come in here as a new forum member and start taking offense at everything that gets said to you, and you absolutely and totally disrespect a long-standing member of the forum" This is simply not true. Maybe this thread is the first thread you see from me, doesn't mean anything though. 2: "But you bringing up the $13, 5 star filter actually implies that you do think that the cheapest of the cheap is of a good quality!" This is another assumption. To you it implies that, but it's not what I said now is it? 5 star reviews just shows that it is not an absolute piece of crap. And if someone is unclear on what I mean when I say that, than someone should maybe ask what I mean't first? That being said. I may have overreacted a little bit to his first post, BUT half of it WAS sarcastic. And the reason I jumped back like that was because of the way he said it, which came across like he thinks I'm a total idiot. But every post of his after that is just plain out rude. It doesn't matter if you have 1 post, or 1 million posts. You don't go saying stuff like that. Especially NOT a new member who has no idea who you are. So my attitude here in this thread is 90% ok, I can admit maybe a post or 2 was uncalled for, but the rest are completely justifiable. And you are not making a good picture for yourself coming here and basically repeating the same incorrect thing 480sparky said, just in nicer words. It's really fantastic if someone wants to help, really is, but starting your first post in the thread with a short, rude, uninformative post.. then that's not a good start. on top of that, everybody jumps on the new guy because everyone loves the old guy because he's been here for a long time. I am only seeing favoritism. Ask a blind person and they will see what he said was wrong. Astronikon was of good help, he helped me with my choice on filters. that was help, not the rest of this stuff.
 
and on a different note .. a thread about ND filters and the various things you can do with them. I had a simplistic view of ND filters until this thread.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...d-filters-anyone-have-various-nds-photos.html

FWIW, I now use only 77mm filters and use a step up ring so that I can use my 72 and 67 lenses with them.
2 step up rings (for $6 each is alot cheaper than buying sets of B+W filters for each lens size). Except I do have a CPL for each lens size - 77, 67 & 55 as they are more specialized.

But those Lee & Cokin square filters are actually a much better idea overall for flexibility. There are cheaper knockoffs of them on the internet too.
My next step is to go to a square filter setup ... but the $$$ keeps me from jumping to it any time soon.
 
So, would you still recommend I get a step up filter even if I wont have my 58mm for very long anymore? I am reading the thread, very good info. on another note, if I buy the squares, it will also work when I buy G-ND filters no? Because those are square, and if I already use squares then I'll already have the mount, meaning i don't need to spend even more money for another one. At first sight this looks like a good deal: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Squa...411&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Lee+52mm+Gnd+filter But question, is it really? Or do you think they might be crappy?
 
I would recommend you get the biggest (probably 77mm) filters you can afford and use step up rings. Since step up rings are so much cheaper and have little if any effect on the quality of the photo, this will allow you to use your big filters with any lens that takes a filter. I have a B+H 10-stop filter at 77mm and then 52-77 and 67-77 step up rings so I can use the filter on all my lenses.

I can't answer your question about square filters as I don't have any experience with them. Sorry.
 
Last edited:
If you buy round filters the step-ups are fairly cheap - like $6 online (vs $40 for the german B+W). But in this instance I didn't buy a B+W because as long as there isn't light leakage around the perimeter than it's not something that the light goes through, it's just a mount thing. Thus a plastic vs brass step-up ring.

If you think you'll need the filters for the current lens then the step-up is a small price to pay to use filter especially, like me, you use a larger filter set like 77mm.
I have 77 because my UWA and 80-200 are 77mm B+Ws. But I also have a 72mm lens, a kit 67 (for my d7000), 62s and a few 52?

I was worried about buying filters (mucho $$$) of various sizes until someone mentioned the stepup rings. Because I wasn't "set" on my lens, changing with different ideas, etc.
I'm pretty sure the 77mm is the pro lens size thread and half my lenses are that now.
Nikon Lens to Filter Directory


Same with the Lee/Cokin square filters stuff. I'm thinking (to myself because of price)that I could possible get a cheaper Mount system (there is the lens mount to he lens and then the filter mount)., and then get higher Lee/Cokin quality filters to help keep the price down.

The advantage of the square filters is that you can rotate the filter to exactly how you need it in comparison to the scene.
But so far, I've tilted my camera (with CPL) and adjusted in post for that ... so there are options to everything. Though the squares are far more useful & flexible for landscapes etc.

That link you have has the adapter rings for various lens sizes

  • 9 Adapter Ring 49mm 52mm 55mm 58mm 62mm 67mm 72mm77mm and 82mm

then the adapters up to the filters

  • 2 Square Lens Hood's
  • 2 Filter Holder's

after that I would question the quality of the filters themselves. BUT, it's a start to learning how to use them.
Check the Lee/Cokin filters to see what size they are to make sure they are compatible. At some point you may use a GND alot and decide just to get a high quality GND.

Also ... anytime you do an exposure for say, more than 20 seconds, use the eyepiece cover or make one to prevent light from going into the camera via the eyepiece. Otherwise with light leakage you can get purple/green haze on all the images (don't ask how I know that) :)

So .. in short. Yes get a stepup ring for your 58 if you need to use filters with it.
and the filters probably are "crappy" but if the mount is solid it might be a good buy. And it is something to get started.

I'm just learning to use ND filters alot more. It's fun so far ... but the clouds haven't been cooperating as of lately as I want a cloud movement shot experiment :)
 
Last edited:
Man.. I thought I replied... Anyways, the ones I bought will have to go back, because now that I sold my little 52mm.. and I ordered the Nikon 18-70mm which takes 67mm filters.. Lol
 
Man.. I thought I replied... Anyways, the ones I bought will have to go back, because now that I sold my little 52mm.. and I ordered the Nikon 18-70mm which takes 67mm filters.. Lol


Personally, I'd recommend waiting and saving up. In my experience, with any type of product, if I jump the gun and buy cheap just 'cause I want something I'm almost always let down. It's lackluster. It doesn't perform to my hopes. It's bad quality. The list goes on. However, when I wait, save, research, and then buy smart, I am almost NEVER let down.

If you're not sure how heavily you want to invest (now, or later), then I'd suggest doing a ton of research, save for a while, and invest in something more useful. It doesn't have to be the LEE system or singh-ray, buy it could be a Cokin P system.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ity-filters-why-you-need-them-landscapes.html

See that thread. It somewhat explains ND and GND filters.

Cheers!
Jake
 
and on a different note .. a thread about ND filters and the various things you can do with them. I had a simplistic view of ND filters until this thread.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...d-filters-anyone-have-various-nds-photos.html

FWIW, I now use only 77mm filters and use a step up ring so that I can use my 72 and 67 lenses with them.
2 step up rings (for $6 each is alot cheaper than buying sets of B+W filters for each lens size). Except I do have a CPL for each lens size - 77, 67 & 55 as they are more specialized.

But those Lee & Cokin square filters are actually a much better idea overall for flexibility. There are cheaper knockoffs of them on the internet too.
My next step is to go to a square filter setup ... but the $$$ keeps me from jumping to it any time soon.

It's worth the investment. They'll make landscapes a million times easier, open you up to more creative and "artistic" shots, and just make you happy/feel like a BAMF. I know, it sounds foolish, but I feel just a tad more legit with a set of 100mm filters hanging off my lens.

Jake
 
My 2 cents,
As you know and has been said many times, If you're wanting a good setup save a little and get the best you can - if you're more interested in just finding out the benefits and how you can use them in your style of shooting then there's nothing really wrong with a getting a cheaper one to trial it.. Of course you must accept there may be issues and image degradation but from a hobby and learning level it will give you the idea of who often you're going to use it / them and if you think it's worth springing the extra $$ to get a decent one at this stage..
I picked up a cheap'ish GND filter, for me it does and OK job - but if I hit near max on (ND400) it I suffer "the X" on the images so its unusable at that level. The rest of the time it works for me and as I don't sell my pictures and am still very much learning, for now... it works just fine....
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom