What's new

WTB: Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 "AF-S" Only

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
49
Location
Arkansas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for this to be my next lens. I am hoping to buy by the end of January. I was just wondering if anyone out there has one they may want to get rid of or are wanting to upgrade. I could pay you more than the internet stores could for trade in value and you could sell it to me cheaper than they would re-sale it to me. It's a win-win.
 
FWIW - The AF version works just fine for me, there are a lot more of them, and they cost less.

Your body has a focus motor, doesn't it?
 
Yeah, but I have always heard, "oh it's so loud, oh it focuses so much slower" etc.
 
Not saying that kmh doesn't know his stuff, but in this situation I must disagree. The af-s version is much better and focuses faster and quieter.
 
When actually using the lens I haven't noticed any lack of speed or exuberant noise.
 
Thanks for the information guys (and the free bumps). Feel free to continue to bump while sharing your sharpest pics and the pics that make you love this lens.
 
Yeah, but I have always heard, "oh it's so loud, oh it focuses so much slower" etc.
How can it be loud? The AF version doesn't have a focus motor in it. Both the focus motor and the aperture motor are in the camera body. Neither version of the lens have VR, so no nosie from VR.

Ask yourself. Why did Nikon make so few of the AF-S, and why did they stop making it?
 
I was under the assumption that it focused similar to my 50 1.8D. That was was annoyingly loud.

Merry Christmas btw!


Edit: loudness maybe from the camera motor and not the lens itself.
 
Last edited:
I own the 80-200/2.8D. I was considering selling it to purchase the AF-S as well because of the focusing. I noticed the difference in my 50/1.8D and 35/1.8 AF-S in terms of noise and focusing speed. The difference is incredible. It was a similar difference between the Sigma 18-50/2.8 (non-hsm) and Nikon 18-70mm/3.5-5.6 AF-S. The focusing on the AF-S nikon was incredibly quiet and smooth. Sometimes, I had to turn the camera, focus on something that I knew was not on the same plane as the subject, turn the camera back, and focus again so I could see it focus. It seriously was that quiet.

The 80-200/2.8D may not have a focusing motor, but the focusing 'torque' I guess you'd call it is miserable sometimes. Also, the focus is very distinguishable on the rare occasion that it hunts. So, yes. I can see where you are coming from with saying it is louder. Once you've heard something with AF-S..or..not heard it I guess, you will learn to dislike every lens without it just that much more.

That being said, the lens produces amazing photos. Id lay my money to say they are probably exactly the same quality as the AF-S verison, and almost as sharp if not on-par with the legendary 70-200/2.8. I absolutely adore mine and upgrading to the AF-S version just wasnt monetarily feesible for me. When I do upgrade, it will be to the 70-200/2.8. If you have to get the VRI model, its still better and about the same price used as the 80-200/2.8 AF-S new. I cannot tell you what to do, but this is what I would do.

You should rent one for a day, or borrow one. Or even just go to a local camera shop that carries them and try it out first before you spend the money. It may not be worth the extra $300+ in the end.

Mark
 
Thanks, Mark. Good information there. I had not looked at the 70-200 due to the fact that i figured it was too recently new to be in my price range or what I am willing to save for a lens. (I tend to get a little impatient.) I just checked on KEH.com and you can get an EX grade 80-200 for ~$1K and you can get an equivalent 70-200 for ~$1.3K. So I guess you were right, it all depends on whether you want to spend the extra $300 for 10mm of zoom and VR. Most reviews I have read so the lenses to be pretty much the same optically. So thanks, Mark, for throwing another decision in the mix!!!:gah: LOL

Oh, and another reason I don't really want the AF-D is due to the non-removable tripod mount.
 
I rarely ever use the tripod mount, but I flip it up equivalent to the hot shoe and it doesnt get in the way at all.

Also, Id like to just suggest that buying BGN items from KEH is a very supported action. Akwardly stated, its accepted. KEH usually grades their items very low on the scale. More-so than most photographers would. That meaning that what you read as a BGN is actually what the EX or EX+ rating states in most cases. Sometimes leaving the BGN option open can save alot of money. I know...yet another option. (:

Mark
 
That will actually not be an option. I cannot bring myself to pay for something labeled BGN. It may be in decent shape but it is labeled BGN for a reason. I would be the one who ended up getting the actualy bargain grade lens.
 
Yeah, but I have always heard, "oh it's so loud, oh it focuses so much slower" etc.
How can it be loud? The AF version doesn't have a focus motor in it. Both the focus motor and the aperture motor are in the camera body. Neither version of the lens have VR, so no nosie from VR.

Ask yourself. Why did Nikon make so few of the AF-S, and why did they stop making it?

They stopped making it because they replaced it with the 70-200vr.
 
Is this what your looking for?
3ne3o13l95Y25T35P3acgb1cece0b66651779.jpg

Nikon 80-200 f2.8 telephoto

This one comes with a HN-28 lens hood (a $30 dollar value) and a Hoya UV filter (a $70 dollar value). It also comes in the box it came in when purchased new a few years ago, and a hard carrying case. It works and functions as good as if it just came out of the box.
[It will work on just about any model of Nikon camera body, but the auto focus will likely not work on the D40, D60, D3000, D3100 & D5000 cameras. You can use it on the D300 and took many stunning photos with it.


3ne3o13l95Y25T35P3acgb1cece0b66651779.jpg
 
Last edited:
Sorry, that is not what I'm looking for.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom