WTF.....Sony NEX-5

swiftparkour94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got to mess with this camera in Sears. The labels say that it's a DSLR. I took the lens off and saw no reflex mirror! WTF is reflexing?!?! The shutter by chance? If so then that makes all my vintage Polaroids DSLR's!!! This is so stupid...somebody please tell me why they named it that unless I am missing something obvious thus making myself look like a complete idiot for posting this.

As a side note, this camera is AWFUL to operate. You can't change settings with a push of a button, you got to go through a menu or make multiple button pushes. Would it have killed them to make a little scroll wheel?? Piece of crap camera! If any of you ever plan on getting this, you're better off just getting a slightly better Canon T3 for around the same price. Who cares about the size, look, or feel difference, if you want performance the T3 is obviously the better choice and you'd have a wide range of lenses to choose from. Ok, I'm done raging :)

1) Sears doesn't have a mirrorless category.
2) Polaroid did make SLRs
3) The thumb wheel on the back acts similarly as the thumb wheel on a DSLR. I am not 100% sure why this was problematic for you. When I test drove the NEX-5 I didn't find it particularly cumbersome at all.
4) Why are you so agro about this? If the NEX isn't your thing, don't get one.

unpopular said:
1) Sears doesn't have a mirrorless category.
2) Polaroid did make SLRs
3) The thumb wheel on the back acts similarly as the thumb wheel on a DSLR. I am not 100% sure why this was problematic for you. When I test drove the NEX-5 I didn't find it particularly cumbersome at all.
4) Why are you so agro about this? If the NEX isn't your thing, don't get one.

The thing doesn't have a mirror, u misunderstood your question. When I mentioned the Polaroids I was referring to mine, sorry I wasn't clear about which models. if it doesn't have a mirror, what's reflexing? I was barely interested in it because I had an underground independent film project idea which I may be working on in the future so I'd need a DSLR that is extremely portable and easy to use. This camera is garbage to me, unless this is the wrong I'm talking about. I'm talking about the newest compact 'dslr' that Sony came out with. The thumb wheel sucked for me unless the settings were messes with on it. Remember, I took off the lens and didn't see a mirror. If there was a reflex mirror then it'd be there and in plain sight as any DSLR's is

it's a mirrorless, not an SLR. I don't really see what the big deal is. Sears mislabeled it, that's all.

unpopular said:
it's a mirrorless, not an SLR. I don't really see what the big deal is. Sears mislabeled it, that's all.

BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. IT'S NOT A DSLR.

unpopular said:

It even says so on their website...

unpopular said:

It even says so on their website...

No it doesn't. Sears puts the 1 series along with the DSLRs but it doesn't say its a DSLR under it's picture. They group it with the other interchangeable lens systems.

Why would a DSLR be better for shooting video anyway? Reflex viewing made sense for film movie cameras, but it doesn't make sense for video.

Helen B said:
Why would a DSLR be better for shooting video anyway? Reflex viewing made sense for film movie cameras, but it doesn't make sense for video.

It's an image quality vs ease of use thing. With my 24 f/1.4 I can get shots I would have even dreamed of getting with a comparable dedicated video camera at the same price as my 24 and my 60D.

It not at all convenient but meh....

Helen B said:

It's an image quality vs ease of use thing. With my 24 f/1.4 I can get shots I would have even dreamed of getting with a comparable dedicated video camera at the same price as my 24 and my 60D.

It not at all convenient but meh....

That has nothing to do with it being a reflex camera, has it?

Helen B said:

DSLR's have more interchangeable lenses as well as settings ;) for Canon Magic Lantern is always a great option especially with Mark II users

"It's all the performance of a DSLR in about half the size and half the weight."

Sorry guys, I misread but this doesn't change the fact that my local Sears had it listed as one

Most reactions

Back