WTF.....Sony NEX-5

Helen B said:
Why would a DSLR be better for shooting video anyway? Reflex viewing made sense for film movie cameras, but it doesn't make sense for video.

DSLR's have more interchangeable lenses

Not true. You would have a greater choice with the E-mount of the NEX because of its shorter FFD. One of the advantages of mirrorless over a DSLR.

as well as settings ;) for Canon Magic Lantern is always a great option especially with Mark II users

That's nothing to do with the NEX 5 being a mirrorless camera.

Helen B said:
Why would a DSLR be better for shooting video anyway? Reflex viewing made sense for film movie cameras, but it doesn't make sense for video.

It's an image quality vs ease of use thing. With my 24 f/1.4 I can get shots I would have even dreamed of getting with a comparable dedicated video camera at the same price as my 24 and my 60D.

It not at all convenient but meh....

That has nothing to do with it being a reflex camera, has it?

I thought you were referring to DSLR sized sensors being used to video in general, comparing DSLRs/DSLTs/mirrorless to dedicated 3 sensor video cameras.

I didn't know you were comparing mirrorless to DSLRs.

But honestly the difference between a mirrorless camera being used for video and a DSLR being used if the sensor sizes are the same is negligible.

if someone called me an Italian Stallion, they'd still only be half right.

nnnanaaaaa!

unpopular said:
if someone called me an Italian Stallion, they'd still only be half right.

nnnanaaaaa!

Lmfao!!!

It's an image quality vs ease of use thing. With my 24 f/1.4 I can get shots I would have even dreamed of getting with a comparable dedicated video camera at the same price as my 24 and my 60D.

It not at all convenient but meh....

I thought you were referring to DSLR sized sensors being used to video in general, comparing DSLRs/DSLTs/mirrorless to dedicated 3 sensor video cameras.

But honestly the difference between a mirrorless camera being used for video and a DSLR being used if the sensor sizes are the same is negligible.

My apologies, I had hoped that my specific reference to reflex viewing would indicate that I was referring to reflex viewing.

The difference between a DSLR and a mirrorless camera when shooting video is not negligible because of the FFD, as I mentioned earlier. The reflex viewing system of the DSLR is not used when shooting video, so it is no advantage. On the other hand, the lack of a mirror allows the FFD of the mirrorless camera to be shorter, and thus more lenses can be used. The NEX 5 can be used with more lenses than a DSLR with the same APS-C sized sensor.

If you think the NEX-5 is stupid wait til you see the a99. It's an SLT. The OMD E-M5 is one of if not the fastest focusing cameras on the planet and it has no mirror. My car doesn't have a dimmer switch on the floorboard but time marches on.

Last edited:

My apologies, I had hoped that my specific reference to reflex viewing would indicate that I was referring to reflex viewing.

The difference between a DSLR and a mirrorless camera when shooting video is not negligible because of the FFD, as I mentioned earlier. The reflex viewing system of the DSLR is not used when shooting video, so it is no advantage. On the other hand, the lack of a mirror allows the FFD of the mirrorless camera to be shorter, and thus more lenses can be used. The NEX 5 can be used with more lenses than a DSLR with the same APS-C sized sensor.

Which lenses are you referring to? Sony doesn't have just a huge array of lenses to choose from, but Canon and Nikon both have a more extensive collection not to mention all of the M42 mount lenses that can be used via an adapter. Basically, almost anything can be adapted to any camera if you look for an adapter on Ebay. And even then, a larger array of crappy lenses from the 70's doesn't really seem like a very good advantage.

3-4 Zeiss lenses is really all anyone ever needs for DSLR cinematic video. I still think that the difference is negligible in terms of the potential of the end-products, meaning that I can create (within a certain extent) the exact same footage with a mirrorless that I can with a DSLR if the sensor sizes are the same. There are certain advantages to both cameras in broader terms, but when referring to what the cameras are capable of I think the race is very close.

While a huge number of lenses in M42 are total junk, there are a number of very, very good ones. There is an adapter for about every mirrorless to use every lens, and there is even an adapter for Canon lenses that allow AF on the NEX, though I have no idea how well it works. But because AF isn't super fast pr accurate yet, who cares.

Focus Assist tends to be very good on an EVF. You use just about anything on an mirrorless, including Leica M, R, Hasselblad V, X, H, Contax C/Y, G and many other very high-end lenses. The FFD is a big advantage.

Sorry guys, I misread but this doesn't change the fact that my local Sears had it listed as one

You should take this up with the local Sears store, and specifically the person who wrote the copy.

Why are you posting on a forum? This has nothing to do with any of us.

While a huge number of lenses in M42 are total junk, there are a number of very, very good ones. There is an adapter for about every mirrorless to use every lens, and there is even an adapter for Canon lenses that allow AF on the NEX, though I have no idea how well it works. But because AF isn't super fast pr accurate yet, who cares.

Focus Assist tends to be very good on an EVF. You use just about anything on an mirrorless, including Leica M, R, Hasselblad V, X, H, Contax C/Y, G and many other very high-end lenses. The FFD is a big advantage.

Yeah I know there are some pretty good ones. I own an M42 Takumar 55mm SMC that has excellent image quality, but I was just saying that being able to use a lot of lenses isn't really as big an advantage as I see it. You don't (or at least I don't) need a plethora of very high end lenses that overlap each other in quality in order to make a video.

It's like saying that that the 250 GB iPod has a big advantage over the 120 GB version, even though I rarely see anybody fill up 250GB of space on an iPod.

As an objective advantage I could see it, but as a practical advantage that would actually make a difference in the product...I don't really believe that it's that great...

I see your point. But still, you can get a G Planar 35/2 for like $400. I think the advantage is you can pick and choose which lens fits your budget and performance requirements, rather than being stuck with whatever FFD you have to accommodate the mirror box.

I understand EOS though has a shorter FFD than other SLRs...

There are all the lenses for the Leica M and Leica screw mounts that will fit a mirrorless camera but not a reflex camera.

How many dedicated video cameras have reflex viewing? There is the Aaton Penelope, but what else?

According to Aaton, the Delta is the only dedicated digital cinema camera with an optical viewfinder. Of course, if you're renting an Aaton at a daily rate of greater than what most people would consider spending on a DSLR, you may as well rent the highest end lens to go on it. So it doesn't really matter much that you can't attach any-old-lens.

Most reactions

Back