X-Pro2 vs. X-E3

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, can you please help me figure out the difference between these two cameras? Looking for all input; input from @Gary A. , @jcdeboever , @SquarePeg , @Destin , would be very much appreciated!

It looks like major differences are:
  • X-Pro2 is weather sealed
  • X-Pro2 has hybrid viewfinder
Is that it? There has to be more? Is the body constructed of metal whereas the X-E3 is plastic? Any additional features that are in the X-Pro2 that aren't in the X-E3?

I've been debating Fuji for a while, and before I do anything, I want to wait and see what Olympus is bringing out in early 2019. But, I'm starting to get that itch, and the rangefinder style is intriguing to me. I've also looked into the Pen-F, but I just never pull the trigger on it.

The small WR primes aren't bad whatsoever, and are similarly sized:
50mm eq: Compact Camera Meter
35mm eq: Compact Camera Meter

The walkaround zoom is definitely bigger on Fuji than Olympus, but not that bad at all (the fast zoom looks kinda silly on the rangefinder cameras, though)...
Walkaround zoom: Compact Camera Meter

You just have to look at the features that are important to you. The xe3 does have 4k video and has a touch screen. Control buttons and dial layout are different. Both are excellent cameras, just boils down to features, size, weight. I own the Xpro 2 and it's a wonderful camera. I like having that optical viewfinder, very handy. I'm left eye dominant so my nose smashes up against the LCD. That's the only thing that I don't like but not a big deal. I hardly ever use the LCD anyway. I love the look of the Xpro 2, it is beautiful.

I don’t know much about the rangefinder style Fuji’s, so I can’t really offer much advice unfortunately.

I've had the XE2 ... it was a nice camera. When compared to the XP or XT, it was a step under in build quality. The XP2 will feel significantly larger than the XE3 ... and especially in the heft. It is built like a tank. The hybrid rangefinder is very expensive to implement. Some really like it ... some think it is merely cute. The XP2 is a lot better looking than the XE3. Looks are important to me. If you have your root in film ... you'll love the Fuji's and the manual controls. I shot MFT for a spell, Oly's ... are fine cameras, but the learning curve was way up there with all the menus. I really like what I get out of Fuji, very film-esque to my eye. Oly looked digital-ish to moi.

Last edited:
Me too. (Referring to Destins post) I’ve only used the xt2 so far. If either of those doesn’t have the EVF then I would cross it off my list. Like jc, I rarely if ever use the lcd anymore.

Thinking of coming over to the lighter side?

Thanks all! Any idea if an X-Pro3 is coming out? Not that I'm overly concerned with using old tech (my EM1 tech is from 2013), but I'd rather wait to see what would be included in the X-Pro3, if one is indeed coming out.

You just have to look at the features that are important to you. The xe3 does have 4k video and has a touch screen. Control buttons and dial layout are different. Both are excellent cameras, just boils down to features, size, weight. I own the Xpro 2 and it's a wonderful camera. I like having that optical viewfinder, very handy. I'm left eye dominant so my nose smashes up against the LCD. That's the only thing that I don't like but not a big deal. I hardly ever use the LCD anyway. I love the look of the Xpro 2, it is beautiful.
Thank you! Not a big fan of video, although I wish I would be at times with my little girl. So, video isn't really important to me.

Have you used larger/zoom/telephoto lenses with the XPro2? Do you find it awkward to use a large lens with a rangefinder body? Maybe need for a grip?

I don’t know much about the rangefinder style Fuji’s, so I can’t really offer much advice unfortunately.
Thanks for your response!

I've had the XE2 ... it was a nice camera. When compared to the XP or XT, it was a step under in build quality. The XP2 will feel significantly larger than the XE3 ... and it is especially the heft. It is built like a tank. The hybrid rangefinder is very expensive to implement. Some really like it ... some with think is is merely cute. The XP2 is a lot better looking than the XE3. Looks is important to me. If you have your root in film ... you'll love the Fuji's and the manual controls. I shot MFT for a spell, Oly's ... they are fine cameras, but the learning curve was way up there with all the menus. I really like what I get out of Fuji, very film-esque to my eye. Oly looked digital-ish to moi.
The hybrid rangefinder is pretty neat. I can see how it would help in certain situations, but it wouldn't necessarily be a selling feature for me. I do like the manual controls, something I didn't think I would have said just a few months ago.

The learning curve with Oly cameras... Yes, there definitely is one with the menus upon menus, haha. Just when I started to learn where everything is, I'm starting to think about changing systems. LOL.

That's it! That's whats been bugging me (I think). The Oly files do look "digital-ish". I didn't know how to describe it before, but I think that's it--"digital". In addition, sometimes the files that I got out of it looked a little "clinical" to me. Super sharp (depending on the lens), but not necessarily in a good way. I want a bit of personality that I don't seem to get with it.

I'm going to ask you the same thing I asked JC... have you used the XPro2 with larger/zoom/telephoto lenses? How was handling them together? Do you/have you/would you put on a 55-140 f/2.8 on the XPro2?

I'm worried I'd miss my grip on the EM1.

Me too. (Referring to Destins post) I’ve only used the xt2 so far. If either of those doesn’t have the EVF then I would cross it off my list. Like jc, I rarely if ever use the lcd anymore.

The XPro2 has a hybrid viewfinder, so I could use either EVF or hybrid OVF. That seems pretty neat to me, and I can see how it would really help with both timing of the shot and with composition.

I have been thinking of coming to the "lighter side" ;) for a while now, and I think it has to do with both GIG (grass is greener) and a little bit of what Gary had mentioned. The files from the Oly EM1 just look a little "digital", and I'd like a bit of personality.

Thanks all! Any idea if an X-Pro3 is coming out? Not that I'm overly concerned with using old tech (my EM1 tech is from 2013), but I'd rather wait to see what would be included in the X-Pro3, if one is indeed coming out.

Thank you! Not a big fan of video, although I wish I would be at times with my little girl. So, video isn't really important to me.

Have you used larger/zoom/telephoto lenses with the XPro2? Do you find it awkward to use a large lens with a rangefinder body? Maybe need for a grip?

Thanks for your response!

I've had the XE2 ... it was a nice camera. When compared to the XP or XT, it was a step under in build quality. The XP2 will feel significantly larger than the XE3 ... and it is especially the heft. It is built like a tank. The hybrid rangefinder is very expensive to implement. Some really like it ... some with think is is merely cute. The XP2 is a lot better looking than the XE3. Looks is important to me. If you have your root in film ... you'll love the Fuji's and the manual controls. I shot MFT for a spell, Oly's ... they are fine cameras, but the learning curve was way up there with all the menus. I really like what I get out of Fuji, very film-esque to my eye. Oly looked digital-ish to moi.
The hybrid rangefinder is pretty neat. I can see how it would help in certain situations, but it wouldn't necessarily be a selling feature for me. I do like the manual controls, something I didn't think I would have said just a few months ago.

The learning curve with Oly cameras... Yes, there definitely is one with the menus upon menus, haha. Just when I started to learn where everything is, I'm starting to think about changing systems. LOL.

That's it! That's whats been bugging me (I think). The Oly files do look "digital-ish". I didn't know how to describe it before, but I think that's it--"digital". In addition, sometimes the files that I got out of it looked a little "clinical" to me. Super sharp (depending on the lens), but not necessarily in a good way. I want a bit of personality that I don't seem to get with it.

I'm going to ask you the same thing I asked JC... have you used the XPro2 with larger/zoom/telephoto lenses? How was handling them together? Do you/have you/would you put on a 55-140 f/2.8 on the XPro2?

I'm worried I'd miss my grip on the EM1.

The XPro2 has a hybrid viewfinder, so I could use either EVF or hybrid OVF. That seems pretty neat to me, and I can see how it would really help with both timing of the shot and with composition.

I have been thinking of coming to the "lighter side" ;) for a while now, and I think it has to do with both GIG (grass is greener) and a little bit of what Gary had mentioned. The files from the Oly EM1 just look a little "digital", and I'd like a bit of personality.
I have used the bigger glass, including the 50-140 on it. It's a little awkward so I invert the tripod collar or use a monopod

I've used both the 50-140 and the 100-400 on the XP2. No problem with either ... but I'm not all that finicky with camera ergonomics. Pick up camera, focus, adjust the settings, release the shutter ... I have little concerns on how the camera feels. The longer and heavier the lens ... I just adjust my left hand until I find the balance point. But I do like the larger EVF of the XT2/XT3. The XT2/XT3 viewfinder is huge, bigger than the 5D, I absolutely love it. I do have a grip for the XP2. It is not a power grip, it just bulks up and rounds off the corners adding a bit of additional comfort.

XP2 Grip

The one battery XP2 also falls short for extended shooting when compared to the battery gripped, three battery XT2/XT3. But the XP2 is soooooo sexy. I'd rather shoot a XP2 with a dead battery than a live Canon or Nikon. :cool-98:

PS- Typically I shoot with two cameras, one camera equipped to go wide and the other to go long. I always toss the long lenses on the XT2 and wide on the XP2.

As a fellow hobbyist I totally understand this. As a fellow parent my advice is - force yourself to make some videos on a regular basis or designate the wife as the videographer and make sure she does it. I’m not a video person either but I do have some videos of Princess when she was a baby and toddler and now that she’s older, I cherish those. I wish I had taken more.

@jcdeboever and @Gary A. , thanks for the responses!

Good to know that it's possible, just need to change hand placement for center of gravity. I've been interested in rangefinder types for a while, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to go fully in that direction. Maybe the wife and I will take a trip up to NYC at some point to go to B&H, and I can hold them in person.

As a fellow hobbyist I totally understand this. As a fellow parent my advice is - force yourself to make some videos on a regular basis or designate the wife as the videographer and make sure she does it. I’m not a video person either but I do have some videos of Princess when she was a baby and toddler and now that she’s older, I cherish those. I wish I had taken more.
I find it so hard to take videos, and I think the reason is that I don't know what to do with them after I take them. I have the same problems with my photos, hahaha. When I do take video, it's with my phone. I guess a higher quality video (that's not in portrait orientation) would be good to have!

I find it so hard to take videos, and I think the reason is that I don't know what to do with them after I take them. I have the same problems with my photos, hahaha. When I do take video, it's with my phone. I guess a higher quality video (that's not in portrait orientation) would be good to have!
I feel yah

Most reactions

New Topics

Back