x2 180 strobes vs x1 300 strobe and sb600 flash ?

philipb1383

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking at getting some lighting ( beginners ) I see some kits that are 180s x2 this seems to weak to me. I was looking at a 300w and using it with my sb600 flash. Does this sound practical ?

I would much rather have TWO matched 150 watt-second monolights than one, 300 watt-second monolight and a speedlight. 150 to 180 watt-seconds when used with a 7 inch reflector and an umbrella or softbox is ample for using with today's d-slr's, which have excellent image quality at ISO settings from 200 to 400.

I think you'll find that a 150 to 180 watt-second monolight is more-powerful than your SB 600, which I would consider to be around 65 watt-seconds roughly, compared to a monolight using a 7 inch reflector. So, take heart, a 150 to 180 watt-second studio monolight is more powerful than you might expect; I have a lot of studio lighting gear that uses the pack-and-heads style of a central power pack and independent flash heads, and I often divide 400 watt-seconds through 4 light heads,and that is enough for many portrait uses. I have a JTL 300 watt-second monolight, and I almost NEVER use it at full power--it delivers too much output for my uses. I really would encourage you to buy two identical, somewhat lower-powered flashes rather than one 300 and one speedlight.

I think it is really nice if the reflectors on the monolight can be fitted with a honeycomb grid attachment and or barn doors. Not essential, but a very nice feature.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back