X4 on Phone Camera translates to what level zoom ?

Photog_Cam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

sorry for the very basic question.But if i am takng a certain shot with my phone with X4 magnification,what level of zoom approximately would i need with a camera lens to get about the same or a little bit more magnification from what i see? Would 85mm be enough or over 105mm? That is to capture the same view.
In fact i needed the X4 magnification so that the phone camera would capture what i was seeing or it would have been a wider angle shot.I am actually just wanting to capture about what i am seeing.

Thanks

Focal length and sensor size determine field of view. So we would know what format you're trying to compare your phone to.

Focal length and sensor size determine field of view. So we would know what format you're trying to compare your phone to.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.I am just wanting to take shots of what i see,that is, no magnification of the view or a wider angle of the view i see.But a 24-105mm lens would definitely cover the level of zoom i need so the shot is just what i see? That is if i saw the half of one hill on the left to the lighthouse on the right, say,i am trying to take the same landscape features with a camera,that is the same as what i see.I think a 24-105mm lens would do it,regardless of the sensor size? I will be using a cannon 60d Camera.

thanks

Are you simply wanting to duplicate the zoom range of your phone with a lens on a 60d? Then we'd also need to know the lens & sensor specs on the phone.

A 24-105 will have different FOVs between a crop and a full-frame DSLR sensor.

You have not given us enough information, but I think you could do it with the 24 to 105 mm at some point within the lens Zoom range, regardless of the sensor size your camera has

You have not given us enough information, but I think you could do it with the 24 to 105 mm at some point within the lens Zoom range, regardless of the sensor size your camera has
Hi,
Yes i have realised that i didnt,but it has been asnwered now.
Are you simply wanting to duplicate the zoom range of your phone with a lens on a 60d? Then we'd also need to know the lens & sensor specs on the phone.

A 24-105 will have different FOVs between a crop and a full-frame DSLR sensor.
hi,yes thanks for the replies in the forum.I was just trying to duplicate what i see with my eyes,so that the shot would be taken of what i see.

hi,yes thanks for the replies in the forum.I was just trying to duplicate what i see with my eyes,so that the shot would be taken of what i see.

So you're really asking what the FOV of of your eyes? 135° x 180°. Sounds like you need a fisheye.

What you see is not only what your eyes see, it's also how your brain interprets the signals, stitches images together and fills in the blanks. Your eyes also shoot video, not stills.

So even if you find a focal length similar to your eyes, the image will not match your perceived view.

Anyway, you need something really wide to get the same angle of view, but something close to 50 mm (on full frame) to get the same perspective.

What you see is not only what your eyes see, it's also how your brain interprets the signals, stitches images together and fills in the blanks. Your eyes also shoot video, not stills.

So even if you find a focal length similar to your eyes, the image will not match your perceived view.

Anyway, you need something really wide to get the same angle of view, but something close to 50 mm (on full frame) to get the same perspective.

Focal length has nothing to do with perspective. It's the same whether you're using a 4mm or 4000mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back