Yahoo may shut down Flickr, other unprofitable business units

This is horrible news. I love flickr and have use them alot of in the past. I hope they don't go through with it.

I talked to Thomas Hawk about this and he isn't worried. If no one knows who Thomas Hawk is, he's a well known Flickr user and has 100k+ photos uploaded to Flickr. He also knows people who work at Flickr and he's telling me not to worry so maybe there is something we don't know.

I talked to Thomas Hawk about this and he isn't worried. If no one knows who Thomas Hawk is, he's a well known Flickr user and has 100k+ photos uploaded to Flickr. He also knows people who work at Flickr and he's telling me not to worry so maybe there is something we don't know.
yeah. Management always tells employees not to worry as there's going to be no change (at least until they walk away and strategise on the changes). They don't want employees to bolt the company then they wouldn't have the support staff for daily operations. It happens all the time.

I'm sure they forewarned all their other now closed offices => Yahoo Downsizes In Latin America, Closes Mexico And Argentina Operations

in Dubai who were given 4 months notice at the most ==> Goodbye, Dubai: Yahoo to Shutter Final Office in Mideast

or in China last year ==> Yahoo lays off hundreds as it shuts down operations in China

or India the previous year ==> Is it true that Yahoo! India is shutting down this year? - Quora

I was at a company too that had lay offs THAT DAY on a large swatch of people. Forewarning of zero seconds.

Last edited:
yeah. Management always tells employees not to worry as there's going to be no change (at least until they walk away and strategise on the changes). They don't want employees to bolt the company then they wouldn't have the support staff for daily operations. It happens all the time.

True. But I might as well continue to use Flickr and worry about it when or if it happens. But I'm still going to have a backup plan. I refuse to use 500px.

True. But I might as well continue to use Flickr and worry about it when or if it happens. But I'm still going to have a backup plan. I refuse to use 500px.
Yes we as users should have time to figure out what to do.

But employees who find out at the last day that they no longer have a job is just bad politics. But companies look out for themselves, not their employees.

But this is also a service ..
and Yahoo just shuttered (redirected) their Video service without forewarning ==> Yahoo Shuts Down Yahoo Screen

on demand streaming, which I think is the same as their Video Service ==> Yahoo shuts down streaming platform Yahoo Screen: Report | ZDNet

just a few days ago to Yahoo Games ==> After 13 Years, Yahoo Games Finally Folds

and last year ==> Yahoo is shutting down Maps, Pipes and a bunch of services you’ve probably never heard of

Yes we as users should have time to figure out what to do.

But employees who find out at the last day that they no longer have a job is just bad politics. But companies look out for themselves, not their employees.

But this is also a service ..
and Yahoo just shuttered (redirected) their Video service without forewarning ==> Yahoo Shuts Down Yahoo Screen

on demand streaming, which I think is the same as their Video Service ==> Yahoo shuts down streaming platform Yahoo Screen: Report | ZDNet

just a few days ago to Yahoo Games ==> After 13 Years, Yahoo Games Finally Folds

and last year ==> Yahoo is shutting down Maps, Pipes and a bunch of services you’ve probably never heard of

Well who knows..maybe they will change their mind and keep Flickr.

@astroNikon Are you still going to continue to use Flickr right now or are you going to complete stop using it and find an alternative? If so...do you have any idea where you might go if it was to get shut down?

@astroNikon Are you still going to continue to use Flickr right now or are you going to complete stop using it and find an alternative? If so...do you have any idea where you might go if it was to get shut down?
Actually our soccer teams use Shutterfly ... so all of my indoor soccer stuff is now on Shutterfly for more than just photos. But the calendering, email notifications, etc.

The ads wanting you to buy all the photos on coffee mugs, etc are annoying but it's still free.
Smugmug for private galleries.

Flickr for public stuff.
If Flickr were to end today I have all the JPEGs that I uploaded, and the RAWs anyways.
I haven't really figured out what to do.

If it's like the My Yahoo page, it was literally gone overnight. I used that for local news & sports websites etc. and had pages set up - all gone, no notice.

I'm getting my photos off Flickr... I don't know if they'll pull the plug or not or how fast it may/may not happen but I'm clearing out my page. Not that I have much on there, and I don't use it much anyway. For me it was photo sharing with other photographers and the only thing on there are copies anyway.

Are the teenagers into Tumblr? I thought it was Snapchat. Why does it matter, it changes so often what they're into, I don't think I'd put much into anything that's the latest thing with teens.

Yahoo has experienced strong headwinds, what are they, in a boat?? yeah I guess they are, and steering the wrong direction, taking on water and bailing as fast as they can. lol

I store my photos myself on my computer, on my external hardrive, and my negatives if it's film. And prints. And scan and save my own copies as needed. Why hand that over to a company?

I don't have anything set public - why do you need that? why allow anyone anywhere to have your pictures? I value my work, I control where it goes the best I can. I don't trust it to a here today, gone? or who knows what tomorrow website.

And I don't use sites like 500px because of the Terms - I don't usually have to read much before I find a dealbreaker. I can live without them more than those companies can live without me/us - the site users' pictures they depend on to stay in business.

If it's like the My Yahoo page, it was literally gone overnight. I used that for local news & sports websites etc. and had pages set up - all gone, no notice.

you didn't get the memo ?
lol

I love to share my photos online with the world because when I get comments about how my photo made their day or made them smile, that makes me smile. (and I don't smile much). If they are sitting on my hard drive or hanging on my wall where no one sees them..it doesn't do much for me.

I've been using Flickr along time..since it was in beta. Though my account says 2011 because I deleted my old account because if the poor user name I chose back then and couldn't change it. I've always loved Flickr and the community is pretty good. Lots of beautiful photos on Flickr, even made some friends and sold some prints because of Flickr.

I honestly think it would be a bad idea for Yahoo to shut down Flickr because Flickr continues to grow in popularity. Hopefully they just end up selling Flickr to a company who could make Flickr even better.

We shall see. But I don't think it will happen for a while. So we have plenty of time to figure out a plan B.

When it comes to services, companies are after active subscribers, and hopefully PAID subscribers.
Otherwise they look at revenue from product sales driven from web content.
otherwise they look at member lists for demographics for potential ad revenue.

I think the only thing Flickr has going for it is a growing member list for potential ad revenue.
Thus they may be thinking they could sell Flickr for the members, thus giving it limited resources to keep it going until a suitor is found (which they've apparently have been trying to do before).

Most reactions

Back