Yahoo may shut down Flickr, other unprofitable business units

I dumped flicker and 500px moved over to zenfolio no regrets.

Well Flickr is more of a social media, Zenfolio is more directed towards business, right?

Is anyone on PhotoCrowd? Seems to be picking up a little steam. I love the challenges they have.

You still care share and visitors can comment in the guest book.Its only business if your selling which is the same as flicker except its not free.

Well Flickr is more of a social media, Zenfolio is more directed towards business, right?

Is anyone on PhotoCrowd? Seems to be picking up a little steam. I love the challenges they have.

Wanting to move to Zenfolio for a while now, so what do think are the benefits regarding business (like you've mentioned) ?

IMO its more professional with it's layout or how you choose to customize your lay out and portfolio.I only use it for hosting and sharing so for $5.00 a month unlimited storage Is well worth it. You can grab the link or BBcode for sharing same as flicker so other then it being free I don't think you would be missing much.

IMO its more professional with it's layout or how you choose to customize your lay out and portfolio.I only use it for hosting and sharing so for $5.00 a month unlimited storage Is well worth it. You can grab the link or BBcode for sharing same as flicker so other then it being free I don't think you would be missing much.
Thanks for the advice, since I am trying to start a small business (regarding photography of course), advice like this are more than welcome!

You may want to think about building your own site but maybe others here can suggest which ones are good.Good luck with business and wish you well.

@nerwin or anyone else who knows the answer. How do you know that someone bought one of your photos? Couldn't they simply DL it and print it as they please? If they bought it through flickr did flickr give you a cut of the sale and is that part of being "pro" on flickr?

I have been a paying Pro level member for a few years now. Not because my photos are what I would consider to be on the level of a "pro" but because of the benefits that come with it. I have never sold anything. Never really will. I like the increased storage. As a father of an 18 month old, I load photos of her up so that grandparents and aunts/ uncles all over the country can see her grow up. I hate Facebook. I have an account but have not logged in in about a year. When I was attending university in England, it was a way for people to see what I was trying to describe to them.

As to your question, you can look at stats. I was looking and noticed that one random photo had 2k+ views. Looked into the stats and noticed that it had been taken by some random website and was actively being used. Yahoo/ Flickr helped me track it down and shut it off.

If Flickr shuts down, which I doubt it will, I will be very sad and have no idea where to go. I like the set up. I like the flow of it. I like the navigation. I like that it is linked to Snapfish for prints. Nothing else that I can think of does what it does and that is why I do not mind paying for it. I like to support the things I like. I buy full albums instead of just buying a single song. I buy film. I will continue to buy a year membership to Flickr.

I do not see why Flickr could not become the number one photo sharing site out there. It has name recognition, thousands of members. To cut it but keep other Yahoo garbage makes no sense to me.

I migrated to SmugMug and it's a lot better, cleaner - although the "community" aspect is lacking I find - but, for photo sharing / hosting, it's great!

Wanting to move to Zenfolio for a while now, so what do think are the benefits regarding business (like you've mentioned) ?
Well it's more streamlined for sales. You can select different print labs, set up private folders for clients, set up coupons and print packages for clients, it looks more professional, it's just more business-centered all around. Tons of benefits for the professional versus Flickr.

But Flickr is a much better social media site IMO.

But Flickr is a much better social media site IMO.

This is one reason why I love Flickr. I am planning a family trip to Newfoundland next summer. The ability to search 'Newfoundland' and see some sites I might want to build into the trip is fantastic.

Numbers like that always sound silly to me - 8 to 3 billion is insanely vast and yet billions are thrown around at that level! I mean if I had a website getting several billion for it sounds like a pretty good deal ;)

Numbers like that always sound silly to me - 8 to 3 billion is insanely vast and yet billions are thrown around at that level! I mean if I had a website getting several billion for it sounds like a pretty good deal ;)
Oh come now, who wouldn't pay billions of dollars for a whole bunch of electronic 0's & 1' floating around in a cloud. I mean it's not like they are buying a whole lot of real live physical stuff.

Most reactions

Back