Yashica FX-3 Super, mirror problem.

mila_olivera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello people!

I recently bought a Yashica FX-3 with its Yashica ML 50mm 1.9 lens and a Kalimar 28mm 2.8 wide angle lens.
The thing is that there's a problem with the mirror, without the lens the mirror works perfectly, but with lens put on and set further away than about seven feet on the focussing scale, the shutter cycle refuses to complete: the mirror flips up, the shutter runs, and then the mirror stays up; but if the lens set closer than seven feet then the shutter cycle completes without problem.
I discovered that this is caused by the mirror, which has shifted slightly downward. I have read that judicious use of a blow dryer may allow you to soften the adhesive enough to allow you to carefully nudge the mirror back into proper position, but I'm not sure about doing that... Have you ever heard of that before? Would it work?
Because I just can't afford a technical service right now and I'd like to knwo if there's any possibility of fixing it myself.

Thank you!
Mialgros

Best to just buy another body that is working.

The thing is that there's a problem with the mirror,
Same here. Mirror goes up, but don't want to go down. Half a twist of the lens releases it. Looks like you've got even worse case. Fixing it will cost probably 3-4 times the price of another body as the whole mirror box has to be disassembled. What is worst you just confirmed for me, that this is a generic problem with Yashica bodies from that era, I have FX-103.

The thing is that there's a problem with the mirror,
Same here. Mirror goes up, but don't want to go down. Half a twist of the lens releases it. Looks like you've got even worse case. Fixing it will cost probably 3-4 times the price of another body as the whole mirror box has to be disassembled. What is worst you just confirmed for me, that this is a generic problem with Yashica bodies from that era, I have FX-103.

It releases too if I give the lens a half twist. I can still use it but I won't be able to focus things farther than 2 meters.

That's really bad. In my case the mirror sticks out about 1 mm. I just wonder how far out is your mirror, from what you are saying your camera cannot raise the mirror up when focusing at more, then 2 meters. When you raise the mirror with your finger up (no lens off course) it should be flush with the pentaprism housing, how much yours is protruding forward ? There is one more problem, the foam which is parallel to pentaprism, the mirror damper, is sticky and holds the mirror sometimes to. This is all frustrating as ML lenses by rumor are Carl Zeiss (for Contax) which didn't pass Zeiss QC. At the time of FX cameras Yashica was making them under license for Contax.
You know, I am looking at this mirror box and indeed, maybe heating would help. The shutter is titanium so 60-70C should be OK. and still it gonna be behind the mirror and it should be done using hair dryer with some narrow nozzle and slow speed of the air. If your case is so bad why not to try before you will get rid of it.

That's really bad. In my case the mirror sticks out about 1 mm. I just wonder how far out is your mirror, from what you are saying your camera cannot raise the mirror up when focusing at more, then 2 meters. When you raise the mirror with your finger up (no lens off course) it should be flush with the pentaprism housing, how much yours is protruding forward ? There is one more problem, the foam which is parallel to pentaprism, the mirror damper, is sticky and holds the mirror sometimes to. This is all frustrating as ML lenses by rumor are Carl Zeiss (for Contax) which didn't pass Zeiss QC. At the time of FX cameras Yashica was making them under license for Contax.
You know, I am looking at this mirror box and indeed, maybe heating would help. The shutter is titanium so 60-70C should be OK. and still it gonna be behind the mirror and it should be done using hair dryer with some narrow nozzle and slow speed of the air. If your case is so bad why not to try before you will get rid of it.

In my case it's a little more, maybe 3 or 4 mm... but it does always raise, its problem it's going down again. This only happens when focusing at more than 2 meters. From 2 meters to 0.50 everything works perfectly. Another detail to add is that when focusing at more than 2 mts , not only the mirror stays up, but the shutter won't move either. This happens with the Yashica lens. With the Kalimar it's different because sometimes the mirror completes its cycle and sometimes don't, but shutter will always work. Plus, to make the mirror go down I just have to give the lens a half-twist and ta-da! Whatever, I can use both lenses, it'll be a little tricky but I'm okay with that. About the foam, there was that sticky thing but I removed it in order to replace it so it's nothing to do with stickyness.
Interesting thing about the Carl Zeiss thing by the way.
About the heating, where should I point the hot wind? To the bottom of the mirror or to its very face, because I've heard that its quite delicate to the point of not even touching it.

I think the mirror is strong enough, at first I pushed the mirror back into the metal framing. Lot of force and it did not break. I don't know which side should be heated. The underside seems logical, metal is a better conductor of heat. But close by is the shutter, delicate thing, maybe should be kept open by using B time setting ?
3mm is a lot, it's possible, that mirror is not travelling all the way up and because of that shutter is not firing.

I think the mirror is strong enough, at first I pushed the mirror back into the metal framing. Lot of force and it did not break. I don't know which side should be heated. The underside seems logical, metal is a better conductor of heat. But close by is the shutter, delicate thing, maybe should be kept open by using B time setting ?
3mm is a lot, it's possible, that mirror is not travelling all the way up and because of that shutter is not firing.

Yes, anyway the underside it's covered by some kind of black rough fabric. But well, just fabric, it won't get burned. Using B time setting it's a great idea.
Whatever, I will try it right now, I'm so eager to use this lovely camera!
Thank you for all your answers Timor!

This rough surface underside is antiglare covering. The other surfaces in the mirror box are also matt.
Keep me posted how it went. Good luck.

This rough surface underside is antiglare covering. The other surfaces in the mirror box are also matt.
Keep me posted how it went. Good luck.
I'm almost jumping from joy!! I just did it and it worked perfectly! You don't need much heating, applying it for around one minute or to will be enough to push the mirror back to its place! I now waiting for it to get cool so I can try how it works with the lens.

Hey hey ! :thumbup:. I gonna do the same after I'll be back home.

Hi Mila. I am back home and want to fix my Yashica. How is doing yours ? Mirror is holding OK ? Also, what did you used as the heat source ? Hair dryer ?

Hi Mila. I am back home and want to fix my Yashica. How is doing yours ? Mirror is holding OK ? Also, what did you used as the heat source ? Hair dryer ?
Since I fixed it last week it's doing perfectly, I shot one roll and I got really nice prints! The mirror haven't moved again. I used a hair dryer, and as you suggested I used B time setting whilst applying heat for about 1 minute then push it, then apply heat again and push it one more time. I used a glove (made of fabric) in order not to burn my fingers in case it was too hot.

Last edited:
Thank's for pointers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back