Yashica FX-3 Super, mirror problem.

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by mila_olivera, Aug 2, 2012.

1. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Mila. I am back home and want to fix my Yashica. How is doing yours ? Mirror is holding OK ? Also, what did you used as the heat source ? Hair dryer ?

2. mila_olivera

mila_olivera TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since I fixed it last week it's doing perfectly, I shot one roll and I got really nice prints! The mirror haven't moved again. I used a hair dryer, and as you suggested I used B time setting whilst applying heat for about 1 minute then push it, then apply heat again and push it one more time. I used a glove (made of fabric) in order not to burn my fingers in case it was too hot.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank's for pointers.

4. IsleofWighter

IsleofWighter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had the same problem, and was astonished that I could find a solution, and that I could fix it myself. You are a SAINT for publishing this !!!!!!

5. randomray

randomray TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow!!! You people are life savers!!!
    I just got a Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 from ebay. It came in New-New Condition. Everything was dust free, clean, beautiful. Put batteries in, cycled camera, everything was good.
    focused out to infinity, and something sounded off. Same problem.
    It looks like there is at least 1-1.5 mm of space the mirror could slide back.
    Thanks for the fix!!!

6. Mrbassee

Mrbassee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried this with a FX 3 Super that i bought off of eBay and it worked like a charm, although i only heated the back side of the mirror for probably 10 seconds and was able to push the mirror back up into place. Really great work, very much appreciate you sharing this.

7. PAwan_sh

PAwan_sh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had the same problem. I had bought used , fungus infected Yashica 50mm ML F2.0 lens from eBay. Thoroughly cleaned it and encountered this issue on the first roll itself. Since I was using an old self serviced Yashica Fx3 camera, the suspicion first went to camera and then to the lens. I do not know how much time I spent in trying to set the lens so that it did not protrude out on the back side of the lens when focused to infinity. When it did not succeed, I started looking out for others facing the same problems and voila, I find this life saving forum. I indeed had the same problem of mirror protruding out. Used hair drier for heating the back side of the mirror while in B mode and pushed it back slowly in 2-3 iterations. Fixed the issue and now all seems to working great. Thanks guys.

• Like Like x 1
  8. halu

halu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do we have the same problem? Mine looks like this. The mirror is completely stuck upwards. It goes down whenever I pull the little lever (the one that looks like an arrow, located below. idk what it is called). It gets stuck sometimes, sometimes not at all. Any suggestion? Thank you!

Attached Files:

9. PAwan_sh

PAwan_sh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It seems it is a different problem. Mine was that the mirror had gotten displaced from its intended position and so it was getting stuck with lens while taking photo. Since the camera operation proceeds only when the mirror is fully up, it was not taking the picture in my case. The operation would complete if I took out the lens or focused on a nearer object(The back of the lens protrudes out a bit when focused to infinity).

Your case seems to be a sticky mirror or misaligned/bent metal getting lightly stuck. Fix could be to blow pressurized air etc and hope to remove any dust etc stopping the operation or may be completely open the camera, take the mirror box out, clean it with lighter fluid thoroughly.

I had done this completely some days back but unfortunately I have deleted all the pictures I took in the process. If you want to attempt it yourself, I can help where possible. It is not too difficult if you have the knack for it. Just remember to keep taking photos at each stage so you know how to re-assemble.

10. halu

halu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got it repaired before, well not totally repaired they just replaced the battery cap with a new cap, since the old cap was destroyed and can no longer be opened by a coin. Then after some time the mirror keeps on getting stuck, it wasn't a problem before I went to the shop. Do you think there is a connection why the mirror is getting stuck? Thanks

11. PAwan_sh

PAwan_sh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do not think there is a connection since the battery cap is totally separate from the mirror assembly. They're is no connection. Probably the repair shop messed up

12. PAwan_sh

PAwan_sh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Uploading yashica repair manual if it helps

Attached Files: