Yay another one of these question!!!!!!!!!!

JimmyO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so heres the deal. I went through this big long process of trying to get a sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for Nikon. Well it never really worked out but i was lucky enough to not lose my money and the guy is refunding all $470. Anyways im looking to get a new telephoto lens. I wanna keep it under 500 dollars, and the more zoom the better. I really dont care if it an old model (would actually prefer) but i want AF and i want the quality of a "pro" lens. So what would you guys suggest?

but i want AF and i want the quality of a "pro" lens. So what would you guys suggest?

Keep saving and buy the 80-200mm F2.8 Nikon lens,
You are only a few hundred short and it is a great lens

hey, bummer that it didn't work out w/that guy from Canada... if I'm not being too nosy, what ended up happening??

I can't make any telephoto recommendations unfortnetly

If you want something that will go to 200mm or longer and is "pro" quality you are unfortunatly not going to find it for $500. Maybe you'll find something used for $700 but $500 no way unless its coming from a friend. Keep saving up and get a new Sigma 70 to 200 2.8 its worth it. If you can wait save up $1600 and go for the Nikon

I agree with the 80-200 comment, you can find it used for about 500 or so. After I get the 50 1.4 its my next purchase.

... or keep on saving for the real thing.

The 80-200mm f/2.8 is perfectly real :p. I have something about spending $1500 extra just for VR, because in reality the focus isn't that much faster when used on a decent body and the optics are close to identical.

I highly recommend the 80-200 solution too. They can be had significantly cheaper than their new more expensive brother, but there is nothing wrong with it. It served the pro market for many years before someone decided to give it an extra 10mm and throw a VR unit in. It's an absolute dream to use to. The focus is smooth, by far the fastest AF lens I have even beating a few of my AF-S, and zoom ring is wonderfully damped. I would really suggest sitting on your cash a little longer and go straight for something like this.

Thanks!
Sounds like the 80-200mm is the one

One question guys. Is there any big difference between the models with the slide type zoom rather than a rotating zoom?

Yes the former is incredibly irritating to use :p, and will probably be much harder to find since that was the MkII release if I recall correctly and would now be discontinued.

Keep your eye out for a tamron 70-210mm 2.8, these often come up one bay and usually sell for $400 or less when auctioned (buy it now is usually $500 or so). I picked one up for $350:

502.0.jpg

I posted below, but try Biggs Photo in Charlotte. They have great deals on used equipment and work with you to get what you want. I have bought from them several times in store and over the internet.
Judge Sharpe

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think i might stay with sigma becuase i had already bought a 1.4x TC to use with the lens i was supposed to get. So now im looking for either a 70-200mm or a 100-300mm sigma.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back