Yay, Sport is Finally Starting Up

Tennis match yesterday.
I was a bit out of practice, but gradually things got going like they used to. And I got a few good shots.
I was at 18fps, and some shots I missed, were between frames. That tennis racket moves FAST.
Next time, I'm thinking of trying the HIGH rate 60fps. But that is first frame focus, then focus is locked, so they have to stay in about the same place, which does not always happen. The other cost is massive increase in number of images to cull through :eek:

Second swim meet, a few hundred frames during warm-up and 3,200 frame during the meet.
I think the basic problem is that there are 46 races x trying to shoot the start and a few shots of each swimmer = LOTS of frames.
I'm glad there is only one more swim meet, this Friday.

Then, right after the swim meet . . . at 7pm is the first football game of the season.
But only TWO home games, in this shortened season. :(
I plan to go to one of the road games, to shoot an additional game.

Once season two kicks in, it is going to be chaos, trying to do all those sports.
The only good thing is, DAY GAMES on Saturday, with plenty of sunlight. I can lower the ISO and crank up the shutter speed. :D

Last edited:
Shot my first football game since fall of 2019.
Boy was I rusty :(

The mirrorless EM1-mk2 did not work as well as my D7200. It may simply be learning issues, with first time using it for football.
But it was nice to be able to see the exposure in real time, especially since night games are difficult.

I cannot post pictures of the students (complicated reason), but I can point you to the schools athletic web page, which is public. Most of the sport pics are mine.

Understood. Looks like you have been very busy. I've been past that area many many times on trips to SFO and then down to Mountain View. Enjoy shooting again.

I cannot post pictures of the students (complicated reason), but I can point you to the schools athletic web page, which is public. Most of the sport pics are mine.

Understood. Looks like you have been very busy. I've been past that area many many times on trips to SFO and then down to Mountain View. Enjoy shooting again.

Too busy for an old fart like me. Since last year, I have been trying to limit myself to 2 days of shooting a week, and no sequential days, to give the old man time to recover.
Season 2 is going to be a bear, because it is so compressed.

@photoflyer
Got the pictures of the Varsity football game uploaded.
I'm not pleased with the results. :(
Not shooting field games since March of last year, just messed up my shooting. I missed several runs and passes that should have been easy tracking shots. And I did not have my normal JV game to warm up with, since I was off shooting the final swim meet at that time.

We have only ONE more home game :eek:, for a total only two home games. :(
So I plan to go to one of the road games, to shoot one more game, and bring it up to three games. With any luck, I will be back in form for the third and last game.

JV football today.
This time I used the Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4, and things went well. I was back to my old form.
I think it was a combination of the Nikon+70-200/4 and the prior game getting the kinks out.

I decided to not screw up a good thing, and will keep using the D7200 + 70-200/4 combo for the field sports (football, soccer and lacrosse).
I will use the Olympus for the other sports.

All this makes you wonder what the NEW normal will be....

Vaccination required, just like some of the other vaccinations which are required before coming to school.
It has to get down to the 9th graders for my high school.

Masks: I'm watching players in softball, baseball, cheer, and tennis all wearing masks.

Less participation in close contact sports:
  • Our football game this week with another high school, was only with their JV, and they only had 12 players on their team. They did not have a Varsity team this year. Is it the growing fear of concussion and Covid. Football players who are playing do not wear masks, on the sidelines they do wear masks.
  • We don't have Girls-JV-Lacrosse and Boys-Freshman-Soccer teams this year. Fear of Covid?
Indoor sports have not started, yet. So I don't know the fall out there. I expect wrestling will take a participation hit.

No congratulating the other team. Win or lose, that show of sportsmanship is something that I liked to see after the game.

Vaccination required, just like some of the other vaccinations which are required before coming to school.

Masks: I'm watching players in softball, baseball, cheer, and tennis all wearing masks.

• Our football game this week with another high school, was only with their JV, and they only had 12 players on their team. They did not have a Varsity team this year. Is it the growing fear of concussion and Covid. Football players who are playing do not wear masks, on the sidelines they do wear masks.
  • We don't have Girls-JV-Lacrosse and Boys-Freshman-Soccer teams this year. Fear of Covid?
Indoor sports have not started, yet. So I don't know the fall out there. I expect wrestling will take a participation hit.

No congratulating the other team. Win or lose, that show of sportsmanship is something that I liked to see after the game.

You folks are going to survive Covid and die of boredom. I and most around me try to be responsible and careful but .... wow!

You folks are going to survive Covid and die of boredom. I and most around me try to be responsible and careful but .... wow!

They are playing safe, and scared.
They don't want to go back into a lock-down, where all the sports are cancelled, like it was last year March through December.

I think once the vaccination gets down to the 9th graders, and the kids ARE vaccinated, then things can loosen up a lot more.

Right now, even though the government has said vaccinations are open down to 16 years, the availability is the problem.
Parents are not vaccinated, cuz until recently the cut off was 65. And now some places are cutting off at 50, due to limited supply of vaccines. And most parents are younger than 50. It's goina be a long haul, that hopefully won't have any BIG bumps.

Most reactions

Back