Yay, Sport is Finally Starting Up

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by ac12, Feb 9, 2021.

1. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the boost.

2. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    JV football today.
    This time I used the Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4, and things went well. I was back to my old form.
    I think it was a combination of the Nikon+70-200/4 and the prior game getting the kinks out.

I decided to not screw up a good thing, and will keep using the D7200 + 70-200/4 combo for the field sports (football, soccer and lacrosse).
    I will use the Olympus for the other sports.

3. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All this makes you wonder what the NEW normal will be....

4. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Vaccination required, just like some of the other vaccinations which are required before coming to school.
    It has to get down to the 9th graders for my high school.

Masks: I'm watching players in softball, baseball, cheer, and tennis all wearing masks.

Less participation in close contact sports:
    • Our football game this week with another high school, was only with their JV, and they only had 12 players on their team. They did not have a Varsity team this year. Is it the growing fear of concussion and Covid. Football players who are playing do not wear masks, on the sidelines they do wear masks.
    • We don't have Girls-JV-Lacrosse and Boys-Freshman-Soccer teams this year. Fear of Covid?
    Indoor sports have not started, yet. So I don't know the fall out there. I expect wrestling will take a participation hit.

No congratulating the other team. Win or lose, that show of sportsmanship is something that I liked to see after the game.

5. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You folks are going to survive Covid and die of boredom. I and most around me try to be responsible and careful but .... wow!

6. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are playing safe, and scared.
    They don't want to go back into a lock-down, where all the sports are cancelled, like it was last year March through December.

I think once the vaccination gets down to the 9th graders, and the kids ARE vaccinated, then things can loosen up a lot more.

Right now, even though the government has said vaccinations are open down to 16 years, the availability is the problem.
    Parents are not vaccinated, cuz until recently the cut off was 65. And now some places are cutting off at 50, due to limited supply of vaccines. And most parents are younger than 50. It's goina be a long haul, that hopefully won't have any BIG bumps.

7. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Here in Arlington, a population of 220,000, not a single person under 39 has died of Covid. The risk is real but not for the kids and not even for most of their parents. The risk is for the older adults with whom they come in contact. I was on a conference call with the head football coach of my college alma mater and he was proud of what they had done to "protect the kids." I almost jumped in and said I wasn't worried about the kids, I was worried about him. It is very tricky. The older 2nd degree contacts are at most risk.

8. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree, the kids are likely to be the carriers, spread to other kids, then it goes home to the parents/grandparents.
    At the same time, we don't know what the new variants will do. If it will affect the young more than the older variants.

9. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    We finished our football season.
    Only THREE games for the varsity team. And of that, only ONE at home.

Sigh. Such is this year. At least they had a season.
    Some sport teams at our school and other schools were not even formed.

It is nearing the end of April, with less than a month and a half left in the school year, and the school districts have yet to approve playing gym sports (basketball and volleyball). There is some discussion if those sports, if they start, will continue past the end of the school year.

10. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit

The last football game of the season/year was an away game.
    Once the sun went down, the field lighting stunk.
    The field lighting was 1 to 1-1/2 stops LESS that at our home field :(:eek:
    My exposure was ISO 12800, 1/500 sec, f/4 (wide open). And it was still underexposed. I had to do PP on a lot of the pics. I probably should have been down at 1/250 sec. :eek:
    If there is a next time, I will bring the school's 70-200/2.8 instead of my f/4 lens.​

Now that I know the lighting there, it has been recorded in my notes, so we don't forget.

This raised the question of what is the field lighting like at some of the other schools?