sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These aren't the best pictures I've ever taken, by any stretch. But they are the FIRST pictures I've ever gotten of a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron. We have several local spots where the Black-Crowned herons are pretty easy to find, but the Yellow-Crowned are much less common here. I'd never seen one, but finally saw where one had been spotted fairly close to me…and were NESTING, no less. As far as anyone seems to know, this is the first pair ever seen nesting in this area, so it's quite exciting!

Raj posted a photo of a juvenile Black-Crowned in his own thread, which got us talking about them. So here's the Yellow-Crowned variety:

1. Mama in nest
May3_8032editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

2. Papa Comes Home:
May3_8295editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

3. Love Nest:
May3_8300editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

What I can't figure out is: Where are they gonna find room in that little nest for baby herons?? They can barely get both of them in it! But Papa seems to spend the majority of his time a little farther out on the branch, standing watch.

As always, C&C, general comments and witty banter are welcome here!

Are those being shipped by pix with the DSLR.:lmao: Nice Shots.

Ha, good idea, send those as well to Raj and you might as well send a few of those gorgeous ones down here as well Sharon :) Nicely done.

All the best Sharon, they are beautiful.

Danny.

These aren't the best pictures I've ever taken, by any stretch. But they are the FIRST pictures I've ever gotten of a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron. We have several local spots where the Black-Crowned herons are pretty easy to find, but the Yellow-Crowned are much less common here. I'd never seen one, but finally saw where one had been spotted fairly close to me…and were NESTING, no less. As far as anyone seems to know, this is the first pair ever seen nesting in this area, so it's quite exciting!

Raj posted a photo of a juvenile Black-Crowned in his own thread, which got us talking about them. So here's the Yellow-Crowned variety:

What I can't figure out is: Where are they gonna find room in that little nest for baby herons?? They can barely get both of them in it! But Papa seems to spend the majority of his time a little farther out on the branch, standing watch.

Thanks for sharing these pics Sharon :)

I don't have any experience with these in particular, but in most birds the parents take turns to incubate the eggs. So only one of them would be there in the nest at a time, while the other will look for food. Off course there are exceptions to everything.

I would really appreciate it if Sharon could send a few live ones :lol:

Very nice. If it is OK with Raj, I'm going to enjoy these pics too.

Thanks for sharing these pics Sharon :)

I don't have any experience with these in particular, but in most birds the parents take turns to incubate the eggs. So only one of them would be there in the nest at a time, while the other will look for food. Off course there are exceptions to everything.

I would really appreciate it if Sharon could send a few live ones :lol:

Well, I stopped by the same spot yesterday after work. They were both still there, and I *tried* to get them to volunteer--told them it was a "chance of a lifetime" trip. A chance to get out and see the world without wearing the old wings out.
They just kinda looked at me like I was stupid. So did several people walking or biking past me at the time. :lmao:

Sorry, Raj, I guess you'll just have to do with PICTURES of the herons, and your own DSLR. ;-)

Oh, and I think you're right about the eggs. At least with the bigger birds I've seen (and most of the smaller ones too, now I think about it). Once the eggs are laid, one or the other bird is always in the nest, but rarely both. It was just seeing them both try to cram themselves into the nest that made me think about it. And, I don't know about these particular herons, but I know Great Blue Herons generally have 2-4 babies, and they grow quite quickly. So, if these babies get close to Mom & Dad's size before they fledge, and if there's two or more of them, it still looks like it could be mighty close quarters for a while. Maybe that's how they get motivated to fledge, when there's no room left in the nest to move!

Last edited:

Ha, good idea, send those as well to Raj and you might as well send a few of those gorgeous ones down here as well Sharon :) Nicely done.

All the best Sharon, they are beautiful.

Danny.

Thanks, Danny! I'm now on the hunt for some a little closer, or in flight. I keep hoping Papa Yellow-Crown will go on a fishing trip in the nearby pond, but so far, they are both always on the nest (or on the limb the nest is on, anyway).

Very nice. If it is OK with Raj, I'm going to enjoy these pics too.

Go ahead, baturn, it makes me happy for people to enjoy my pictures! Just…shhh…don't tell Raj I let you… :lol:

Well, I stopped by the same spot yesterday after work. They were both still there, and I *tried* to get them to volunteer--told them it was a "chance of a lifetime" trip. A chance to get out and see the world without wearing the old wings out.
They just kinda looked at me like I was stupid. So did several people walking or biking past me at the time. :lmao:

Sorry, Raj, I guess you'll just have to do with PICTURES of the herons, and your own DSLR. ;-)

lol, that's too funny. :lmao: You cracked me up alright! Okay, I guess I'll just leave them be for now, thank for trying though. :p

Very nice, My next purchase will be a nice telephoto.
What lens are you using for these?

Very nice, My next purchase will be a nice telephoto.
What lens are you using for these?

My guess would be the Sigma 150-500, I know she has one.

Yep, Sigma 150-500. Really great lens for the price. Its biggest pitfalls, imo, are:
1. The weight. But then, what lens with a 500mm reach *doesn't* have that issue? And you get used to it; I handhold over 95% of my bird shots with this lens.
2. Shooting in low light conditions. This is its BIGGEST problem, but again, the only option is spending a LOT (x2) more money on a faster lens if you want that kind of reach AND good performance in low light.

JDWiding: What kind of camera do you have? The new Tamron 150-600 is another option to consider, but it's only out in Canon mount (and hard to get even then, from what I hear). The Nikon mount should be "any day now"--but I'm starting to think that "day" will not come until I'm so old that I don't even remember what to do with a camera.
The Tamron won't be ANY better than the Sigma on the two items I mentioned, but it WILL give you an extra 100mm reach, with--from everything I've heard to date--just as good IQ.

Nikon d3200
I will be upgrading to an FX within the year, But def. going to stick with Nikon.
(lens collection is starting to get too big to make the switch now... lol )

[The Nikon mount should be "any day now"--but I'm starting to think that "day" will not come until I'm so old that I don't even remember what to do with a camera.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that "any day now", it might be run by the same people at "Someday Couriers" that delivered PR's camera LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back