What's new

Yellow Filter

FoggyLens

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Messages
365
Reaction score
6
Location
Colorado
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All!

I have a question that might sound elementry.. lol. If I want to use a yellow filter for black and white should I shoot it in black and white or should I shoot in color and change to black and white in photoshop or does it matter?

Thank you!!! : )
 
You camera doesn't shoot in black and white, it shoots in color and then processes the non raw file black and white, A yellow filter is pretty much a useless item with digital. The same effect can be done in photoshop during post processing allowing you to ge the look that you want. The only real filters that can not be acheived in post processing are polarizers and nuteral density filters.
 
Haha I fell stupid now.. Thank you for answering my question!!! lol... I didnt think 1st that there is no mode to change to black and white on my Nikon like my point and shoot olympus.. lol... I use a polarizer a lot and thought it would be fun to try out a yellow filter for black and white.. Even tho yes I have more control in photoshop.. : ) Thanks again!
 
Shoot RAW for maximum number of values and i don't think it matters.

Hi All!

I have a question that might sound elementry.. lol. If I want to use a yellow filter for black and white should I shoot it in black and white or should I shoot in color and change to black and white in photoshop or does it matter?

Thank you!!! : )
 
I didnt think 1st that there is no mode to change to black and white on my Nikon like my point and shoot olympus.. lol...
Well actually there is a menu option to do Monochrome using your D3100 (page 154 of the users manual) but the image sensor still captures a color image before the camera converts it to monochrome. The in-camera monotone feature makes pretty low contrast photos.

Converting a full color photo to B&W with image editing software gives much better contrast control.
 
Thank you guys!
 
what studio 101 said. you can put your yellow filter on and shot in B&W but you will get far better results converting to B&W in PP. if your camera can set the contrast bump it up a bit with B&W in mind then when you convert the image you will get even better results.
 
Shoot RAW for full 12 or 14bit capture. Ignore any 'contrast' setting in-camera .. it's irrelevant.
 
You camera doesn't shoot in black and white, it shoots in color and then processes the non raw file black and white, A yellow filter is pretty much a useless item with digital. The same effect can be done in photoshop during post processing allowing you to ge the look that you want. The only real filters that can not be acheived in post processing are polarizers and nuteral density filters.

Mostly true, however if you use a strong yellow or red filter you can prevent the sky from blowing out, and it will turn out better then if you did it in post--there is only so much you can recover from a raw file.
 
You camera doesn't shoot in black and white, it shoots in color and then processes the non raw file black and white, A yellow filter is pretty much a useless item with digital. The same effect can be done in photoshop during post processing allowing you to ge the look that you want. The only real filters that can not be acheived in post processing are polarizers and nuteral density filters.

Mostly true, however if you use a strong yellow or red filter you can prevent the sky from blowing out, and it will turn out better then if you did it in post--there is only so much you can recover from a raw file.

Which can be done with ND filters or a polarizer without imparting a color cast to the photo.
 
Well with B&W film, filters are commonly used in B&W film photography to manipulate contrast.
A yellow filter will enhance the contrast between clouds and sky by darkening the latter. Orange and red filters will have a stronger effect. A deep green filter will darken the sky too but will lighten green foliage and will make it stand out against the sky.

Most cameras today have a Bayer filter in front of the image sensor and don't record color directly. Color is interpolated using an algorithm from the Bayer filter pattern in a process called demosaicing.

Before demosaicing in a Raw converter, the photograph the sensor captured is a grayscale image. So, it can be said that digital cameras only take B&W photos.
 
Ok.. So I have to admit I am a RAW virgin! I know i know.. Im scared.. lmao! Its such a big step in our relationship...lol... Maybe we can move forward this week. lol.
 
One key thing about RAW is that it won't matter if you set your camera to black and white. When you import the photo into the RAW converter, unless you use the one that came with the camera the settings will be ignored and you'll get yet another yellow image.

Thinking about it there may be another advantage to the use of a yellow filter. I've had some beers and I'm on the otherside of the world from my bedroom, so I don't have my engineers hat on, but I think you may get a noise advantage by applying the yellow filter to the lens and then converting the picture to black and white equally on all channels, vs recording in normal colour and then converting with 40% red, 60% green 0% blue. If I remember in a few weeks I'll see if the maths behind my silly beer-fueled idea makes sense :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom