Yet another light question

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, well I've had a pretty productive week selling unused stuff on ebay, and would like to start looking at lights.

Ultimately, I think I would like a couple of AlienBees 800 strobes, a softbox, and background lights. Now since money definately is an object, I can't afford all my desires currently, so, I thought I would start with one of the AB800 or 400 like this:
http://www.alienbees.com/beginner.html

and gradually add lights as I can afford them assuming my interest in portraiture continues. So the first question would be is 800 too much or would 400 be adequate? Second, would anyone know if there is anything else I would need to use it w/ my Pentax ist DS or *ist35mm? Neither of them have a pc input to plug them into, so I assume I would need a hotshoe adapter. Is this correct, and is there any other cords that I would need to use it w/ my cameras? I don't want to order it, get it home, only to find I should've orderded some cord that I didn't.

If you could only afford one light to start, is this the route to go, or would you recommend something else?

Most reactions

Back