Yet Another "Which Tripod" Thread…but Please Read It ANYWAY

There is no such thing as a tiny tripod that fits in your pocket, expands to full standing height, and yet is remotely as sturdy as the mammoth ones.

Instead of trying to find one, I'd re-evaluate the goal here. Aren't you shooting birds mostly? Why do you NEED a tripod? Is it just to squeeze an extra stop of shutter speed without blur? If that's the case, could you maybe just get away with a monopod instead? Or something like a shoulder stock or harness to use your body as extra damping?

Also other outside the box possibilities... what environment are you in? Is your vehicle usually nearby (use that with a beanbag for stabilizing up high) or do you hike to location? Are there a lot of trees near you usually? If so, you could get a very sturdy tabletop tripod and just wedge it on a low branch for more stability than any full tripod could EVER offer while still costing 1/3 as much and taking up 1/4 the builk and weight.

Or would it be a possibility to bring a lightweight field STOOL with you, and then sit down with a 3 foot tripod? It's possible that a stool + half size tripod could together weigh less and fit into a bag better than your huge tripod does by itself. And still fine for your back, and more stability due to lower center of gravity etc. Bonus points: birds are less intimidated by you.

lambertpix said:
FWIW, my 190CXPro4 has flip locks, and it's carbon. One of the major selling points for me -- I tried twist locks on an Induro for a while and they about drove me batty. I think it would be ok if I always used the tripod straight up & down at full extension, but I do enough macro stuff and work on uneven ground that it was an issue for me. I still have the Induro as a backup, though.

FWIW--it's worth a LOT! FLip-locks are just sooooooooooooooooo much faster and easier and more-convenient. Especially when using the 'pod on uneven ground, or whenever there is a lot of height-changing that needs to be done. I actually feel that in some situations, the tripod becomes a MAJOR impediment to getting the best photos because the set-up and adjustment is so doggone slow and tedious, that the user can easily slip into the ,"Oh, this is good enough," mentality, and instead of re-positioning and re-leveling and all, will mentally just forego the needed effort...

But, in situations where the tripod is set up, at ONE height, and pretty much used that way, with very minimal height adjustments, in one or two locations for extended times, then it doesn't matter how the legs lock. Tripods are not just "one,specific thing"...there are times when stability is Job#1 (time exposures; multi-exposures;windy days,etc). There are times when IMMEDIATE and FAST height adjustment is Job #1 (portraiture, for example); times when pack-ability and light weight is Job #1 (long day hike outings, for example).

Sharon, I was thinking either the Vanguard Alta or the MeFoto as well. Vanguard has some carbon fiber ones that look really good. (At the time I got the aluminum one because I really didn't want to pay more for the CF one.) I want a CF one though.

My Vanguard came with a case that has a strap to put it over your shoulder.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a tiny tripod that fits in your pocket, expands to full standing height, and yet is remotely as sturdy as the mammoth ones.

Instead of trying to find one, I'd re-evaluate the goal here. Aren't you shooting birds mostly? Why do you NEED a tripod? Is it just to squeeze an extra stop of shutter speed without blur? If that's the case, could you maybe just get away with a monopod instead? Or something like a shoulder stock or harness to use your body as extra damping?

Gav…and I mean this in the nicest POSSIBLE way…but, did you even READ my post?

Whoever said ANYthing about a tiny tripod that would fit in my pocket, expand to full stand height and be as sturdy as the mammoth ones?
I said, "What I need is a much more lightweight, but still sturdy tripod for taking on hikes or when I'm traveling somewhere and don't want to have to include the big, heavy tripod in the luggage."
Now, I did also say, "
Then I have a "decent" Promaster tripod. It's much lighter than the Manfrotto, but still probably 5 lbs. or so, doesn't fold up terribly small and has plastic leg locks. It was a gift, so I use it, but it's not ideal."

I suppose I should have qualified that, as "terribly small" IS a pretty subjective term, but I was not referring to "small enough to fit in your pocket." I just know that there ARE *many* compact tripods that do in fact fold up MUCH smaller than the ones I have. I think the Promaster is still at about 24-26" folded.

And yes, I shoot a LOT of birds. But note in my OP that I specifically stated this would NOT usually be used with my birding lens, but rather with lenses like the 50mm f/1.4 and the 18-55mm kit lens and a wider-angle lens if I get one. That lens list would seem to suggest that my uses for this tripod would NOT include bird photography. I do actually do other things as well. :D
Besides, I do almost ALL my bird photography handheld. I did have a monopod, but it walked away from me, and I used it so rarely anyway that I've not yet replaced it.

Also other outside the box possibilities... what environment are you in? Is your vehicle usually nearby (use that with a beanbag for stabilizing up high) or do you hike to location? Are there a lot of trees near you usually? If so, you could get a very sturdy tabletop tripod and just wedge it on a low branch for more stability than any full tripod could EVER offer while still costing 1/3 as much and taking up 1/4 the builk and weight.

Or would it be a possibility to bring a lightweight field STOOL with you, and then sit down with a 3 foot tripod? It's possible that a stool + half size tripod could together weigh less and fit into a bag better than your huge tripod does by itself. And still fine for your back, and more stability due to lower center of gravity etc. Bonus points: birds are less intimidated by you.

Again, as I mentioned in the first post, I want this tripod SPECIFICALLY for two purposes--hiking, and traveling to places where taking the heavier, longer tripods are not an option. For the most part, I'll continue to use my heavy, but incredibly sturdy Manfrotto when I even use a tripod. And THAT is exactly why I also don't want to spend too much on this tripod, because I anticipate using it ONLY when taking the Manfrotto isn't an option.

[NOTE: Huh. This is not the FIRST written communication I've sent today that sounded harsh and snarky. The other was to my Boss this morning. :lol: Maybe I need to get the caffeine drip going or something…I don't MEAN to sound harsh and snarky, sometimes it just happens...]

Whoever said ANYthing about a tiny tripod that would fit in my pocket, expand to full stand height and be as sturdy as the mammoth ones?
Was it really necessary to write like 3 pages in response to me using a little dramatic license with my wording of "pocket size" ? Of course not literally your pocket, but even so much as fitting in a bag or backpack is not a characteristic of any truly sturdy full sized tripod I've seen. The fact remains still that a sturdy, lightweight, normal bag-sized, $200 tripod simply doesn't exist. Thus still stand by alternative suggestions.

And yes, I shoot a LOT of birds. But note in my OP that I specifically stated this would NOT usually be used with my birding lens, but rather with lenses like the 50mm f/1.4 and the 18-55mm kit lens and a wider-angle lens if I get one.
You just listed the lenses, you didn't say birding or not birding. While on the topic though, if not for birding, what types of things DO you plan on shooting with this tripod? That will make all the difference in the best options available. I understand it's for hiking. But what subjects / kinds of shots?

Was it really necessary to write like 3 pages in response to me using a little dramatic license with my wording of "pocket size" ? Of course not literally your pocket, but even so much as fitting in a bag or backpack is not a characteristic of any truly sturdy full sized tripod I've seen. The fact remains still that a sturdy, lightweight, normal bag-sized, $200 tripod simply doesn't exist. Thus still stand by alternative suggestions.

Probably not *necessary.* Just a special bonus. ;-) Actually, if you've read most of my threads, you'll know that FOR ME that wasn't even particularly lengthy… :lmao:
However, in my defense: In the same way that you didn't necessarily "get" from my lens list that birding wasn't the main point of this tripod, I truly didn't "get" that you did not mean, LITERALLY, pocket-sized. Well, no not literally. But I thought you were referring to those little tabletop type of tripods.

You are correct--you cannot get a tripod that is as sturdy as the big ones, lightweight, small AND under $200. I understand that, I accept that, and I probably should have acknowledged that from the get-go. With tripods, there is almost always compromise somewhere. If the lightweight, small and price options are what matter the most to you (as is the case here), then you ARE going to have to compromise somewhat on sturdiness, durability, and such. That doesn't bother me, as I have a good, sturdy tripod for most situations. When I travel or hike, I'd rather be able to get SOME of the shots I want even if I miss a few others because of a limitation of my packable, lightweight tripod.

You're also correct that I did not specifically say birding or not birding. But dang, I ain't anywhere NEAR good enough to go out birding with a 50mm lens! :D

What I plan to shoot with this tripod: Stuff. :D
Seriously, my biggest plans for it would include:
1. Longer exposures. I'll be going to the Caribbean in the not too distant future and would like to do some shoreline long-exposure shots (assuming I also end up picking up a VND filter in time to learn how to use it decently). I'll also be using it locally for hikes to waterfalls and the like, where I may want to use a longer exposure than what I can do handheld.
2. In addition to birds, my other two "main" areas of interest are in macro and abstract photography. Macro in particular is one I often end up not doing when out on a hike because I don't want to carry one of the bigger, heavier tripods I already have. I'm envisioning a number of opportunities for macro work in the Caribbean as well, and I REALLY don't want to have to lug a heavy tripod not only ON to the ship but then carry it around all day on excursions.

Portability favors 1)carbon fiber construction and 2)four-section legs, so I think the 3Pod Adorama is selling is really, a pretty decent choice for $150. I dunno...again though, for "me", I think flip-lock legs make a tripod like TEN times more easy and fast to use. I loathe twist-lock legs, but realize they are simple, reliable, and commonly used these days on MOST lightweight carbon fiber pods.

Lambertpix I think it is, has a blog with three reasonably-priced 'pods reviewed. I think for portability, the light weight factor and the compactness factors of a 4-leg 'pod make that the way to go, for this type of 'pod.

Okay, well now I definitaly AM recommending a tabletop tripod, then. Something like this
Amazon.com: Mefoto A0320Q00B DayTrip Tripod Kit (Blue): Camera & Photo

It doesn't seem like you need a full height tripod for any of the things you listed. Especially for very long 30 second+ exposures and such like a shoreline creamy effect, because in my experience a full height tripod any less than your huge manfrotto, or a wooden monstrosity doesn't cut it. The little bit of wobble and wind yielding will easily ruin the contrast between sharp rocks/piers and smooth water in that amount of time. So in addition to fitting better in luggage, the mini tripod is likely to perform very noticeably better than a budget full size tripod for those photos.

For macro, a lot of the stuff is near the ground or supporting surfaces anyway. Not everything, but enough of it to probably make the full size tripod not worth its drawbacks.

And, I'm not kidding: add another 3 ounce's worth of [1 or two lightweight tent stakes] + [about 6-8 feet of poly rope] + learning how to tie a tautline hitch = ta da! you can now tie your mini tripod fast to almost anything. Tiny thin railings, thin tree limbs, fence posts that wouldn't be large enough to hold the tripod on top but are large enough to brace against with a knot, upside down surfaces (legs stand like normal, rope pulls the center column up against the surface), etc.

Depends how much time you have to linger, but honestly, you can rig up a rope almost as quickly as you can screw and unscrew those extra 9-12 leg sections you would have to deal with in a compact full size tripod.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, well now I definitaly AM recommending a tabletop tripod, then. Something like this
Amazon.com: Mefoto A0320Q00B DayTrip Tripod Kit (Blue): Camera & Photo

It doesn't seem like you need a full height tripod for any of the things you listed. Especially for very long 30 second+ exposures and such like a shoreline creamy effect, because in my experience a full height tripod any less than your huge manfrotto, or a wooden monstrosity doesn't cut it. The little bit of wobble and wind yielding will easily ruin the contrast between sharp rocks/piers and smooth water in that amount of time. So in addition to fitting better in luggage, the mini tripod is likely to perform very noticeably better than a budget full size tripod for those photos.

For macro, a lot of the stuff is near the ground or supporting surfaces anyway. Not everything, but enough of it to probably make the full size tripod not worth its drawbacks.

And, I'm not kidding: add another 3 ounce's worth of [1 or two lightweight tent stakes] + [about 6-8 feet of poly rope] + learning how to tie a tautline hitch = ta da! you can now tie your mini tripod fast to almost anything. Tiny thin railings, thin tree limbs, fence posts that wouldn't be large enough to hold the tripod on top but are large enough to brace against with a knot, upside down surfaces (legs stand like normal, rope pulls the center column up against the surface), etc.

Depends how much time you have to linger, but honestly, you can rig up a rope almost as quickly as you can screw and unscrew those extra 9-12 leg sections you would have to deal with in a compact full size tripod.

Hmmm. I dunno, I see quite a few potential situations where a tabletop tripod wouldn't suffice, but I do see your point and will take it under consideration.

As for the rope and tautline hitch-- I had two boys in scouts, one an Eagle Scout. I was a Scout leader for over a decade, and personally mentored four boys besides my own from First Class to Eagle Scout rank. I *KNOW* how to tie my knots!! :D

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Portability favors 1)carbon fiber construction and 2)four-section legs, so I think the 3Pod Adorama is selling is really, a pretty decent choice for $150. I dunno...again though, for "me", I think flip-lock legs make a tripod like TEN times more easy and fast to use. I loathe twist-lock legs, but realize they are simple, reliable, and commonly used these days on MOST lightweight carbon fiber pods.

Lambertpix I think it is, has a blog with three reasonably-priced 'pods reviewed. I think for portability, the light weight factor and the compactness factors of a 4-leg 'pod make that the way to go, for this type of 'pod.

What to do…what to do…well, I know one thing. I know it's a good thing I've got time to think about all this before making a decision! I'm really still leaning toward the 3Pod, though one of the other choices linked here (can't remember which right off) is a strong contender.
But that twist-lock issue. Hmm. Now that I think about it, BOTH of my tripods have flip-lock legs. So moving FROM that to the twist-locks might just cause me to end up throwing a little Caribbean tantrum right there on the beach…certainly something to consider.
I need to look at the other choices again and see if there is one that I like as well as the 3Pod that has flip-lock legs. If not, the 3Pod may win out.

This might be a bit overkill but I think it would suit your needs perfectly.

Cartoni 0105 Omega Professional Tripod System O105 B&H Photo

LOL!!! Like Literally, that made me laugh out loud! Nice one, that caught me off guard!

That is like the perfect antithesis to everything I'm looking for in a tripod. :D

Gavjenks:
I like you travel size tripod suggestion. I was actually thinking of getting a full size one before but this size really makes more sense for my needs. Only question is what other brands/models are there for the travel size that are good? Id like to buy a used tripod (since thats almost always a better deal) and there just arent enough used ones from Mefoto on the market.

Ok Sharon, which did you get and are you happy, and why?
I am in search of a tripod and curious to your choice.
Nancy

I ended up buying the one I linked to in my OP, the 3Pod by Adorama for $150. The jury is still out on it, but overall I think it's going to serve decently for what I wanted.
However, remember that I already HAVE two good, sturdy tripods, they just were too heavy for carrying long distances, on a day hike or to easily stick inside my luggage on a trip.
So I was specifically looking for lightweight, but reasonably sturdy.

The 3Pod seems just a little more "shaky" than I'd like when it's set up and fully extended. However, once I get my camera on it, it seems to hold it okay, without sagging or shaking. The twist-lock legs are indeed a PITA, but I don't anticipate using this tripod under conditions where time will really be of the essence, so the extra time it takes to set up and take back down aren't that important. I'll probably look for a different head for it--the head it came with is sturdy enough, but it doesn't have a QR plate, and that annoys me.

My primary use for this tripod is to be able to toss it into a backpack for a day trip, or into a suitcase for travel, and it works great for that. It's relatively lightweight, and folds down small and FLAT. I mostly plan to use it for landscape photography, and I think it's going to be fine for that.

Most reactions

Back