sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, this isn't "exactly" the typical "which tripod" thread, but it's pretty close.

The thing is, I *have* a tripod. Two actually: A perfectly good, incredibly sturdy older model Manfrotto one. But, it weighs a TON. No, not literally--it's just really heavy.
Then I have a "decent" Promaster tripod. It's much lighter than the Manfrotto, but still probably 5 lbs. or so, doesn't fold up terribly small and has plastic leg locks. It was a gift, so I use it, but it's not ideal.

What I need is a much more lightweight, but still sturdy tripod for taking on hikes or when I'm traveling somewhere and don't want to have to include the big, heavy tripod in the luggage.

I've got that big birding lens, the Sigma 150-500, but don't really see using it with this new tripod much. More often, I'd be using a gripped D7000 with a smaller lens, 50mm, 18-55mm kit lens, or a wide-angle lens if I ever get one.

When I'm at home (including driving to local places where I don't have far to walk), I'd still be using the solid, heavy Manfrotto. This new tripod would ONLY be for trips where I really want the tripod but just can't bring the heavy one along for whatever reason.

So…I don't want to spend a mint on this thing. I'd say $200 is my upper limit.

With those parameters in mind: What do you all think of THIS tripod? Not a brand I recognize, but it sounds pretty promising.

I have that exact vanguard tripod too which IS much lighter. Of course there's no super light and sturdy tripod, but this is definitely good for slinging on the shoulder and carrying.

Never heard of the brand; it looks like a Gitzo knock-off and seems decent, but a full-on CF tripod for $150 WITH head seems a little suspect to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of the brand; it looks like a Gitzo knock-off and seems decent, but a full-on CF tripod for $150 WITH head seems a little suspect to me.

Yep, you nailed it. The whole reason I posted it here. If this were a name brand, I'd be all over it. But this sounds a little too good to be true, and that almost ALWAYS means something ain't right. I'm guessing the head is crappy and I'd have to replace it, if I could only be sure the tripod itself was as good as it sounds.

Here are two light options you cannot go wrong with. I have the first one, and no problem at all for my D5200 (550g) + Tamron 70-200 2.8 (1.5kg).
The second one is also a Monopod as well.

MeFOTO BackPacker Travel Tripod (Titanium) A0350Q0T B&H Photo
- Load Capacity: 8.8 lb / 4.0 kg
- Weight: 2.6 lb / 1.2 kg

MeFOTO RoadTrip Travel Tripod Kit (Titanium) A1350Q1T B&H Photo
- Load capacity: 17.6 lb / 8.0 kg
- Weight: 3.6 lb / 1.6 kg

That first one looks REALLY promising; that might just be the ticket. However, it only expands to about 51". I'm 6' tall--51" seems pretty short, especially given that I have back issues, and a lot of bending over can really do me in. Since you HAVE that one, what do you think? Would that be much of an issue?

That one looks fairly promising as well, and I *do* like Manfrotto; thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This one sold already but used you could probably find something in this price range if you look long enough, especialy if you have a head already that you like and isn't too heavy

Vanguard Alta 284ct Tripod with Manfrotto 498 Head Excellent Condition 026196330806 | eBay

Yeah, I've been searching ebay and Craigslist as well, and I do still have some time to hunt for one, but I need to make a decision by at least the beginning of May as I will need one by the end of May, and want plenty of time to get it and test it thoroughly, decide if I need a different head for it, that kind of thing.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

It would if sold by anybody but Adorama...this looks like the latest MIC replacement for Adorama's Flashpoint tripod line...a skillfully-executed knock-off of "Brand A"'s (err, brand M? Brand G?) offering, at a price people will pay. I thought the same thing when I ordered a lightweight, MIC, Flashpoint-brand carbon fiber pod from Adorama...I payed $99 for it on sale with free shipping, but no ballhead, no head of any kind...oh my gosh...what I got was DECENT! Wayyy decent! I think 3POD is their new "house" offering, without the need for them to pay extra for Adorama-centric branding/labelling.

You can see that there are like, 12 leg locks to work around, right? THAT is why I went with a slightly longer, 3-section 'pod...fewer legs to unlock,pull out,lock, and fewer legs to monkey with when major height changes are needed. I am used to the old Bogen 3051, the "automatic tripod" with the squeeze-triggers and the "automatic, 1-second lock and adjust all three legs" capability...to "me", twist-lock legs are a royal PITA...very sloooooooow and annoying to adjust. I'd rather have flip-lock legs, like Manfrotto's newer 099xb or whatever it is they call it. But flip-locks are more of an aluminum tripod thing. Screw-lock legs are simple, and they DO work, albeit slowly.

As far as that model you are looking at Sharon; it's probably better-made than most people would expect for the price, and is a good value, which is what Adorama really strives for with their "house brand" stuff...good, inexpensive stuff for regular folks. Is it a Gitzo at $799. NO. And if somebody steals it, you will not cry all the way home either as if it were a Gitzo, with a $399 magnesium-alloy ball head on top. China has the systems set up to make decent stuff CHEAP these days, and I think the better MIC knock-off stuff is worth its lowish price point.

Last edited:
That first one looks REALLY promising; that might just be the ticket. However, it only expands to about 51". I'm 6' tall--51" seems pretty short, especially given that I have back issues, and a lot of bending over can really do me in. Since you HAVE that one, what do you think? Would that be much of an issue?

I had the same concern before having it, and it ended up not being an issue for me at all. I really do not complain about it.

For you reference, I am 1.7m tall (5.6 ft tall), while:
- Its maximum height without column extended: 45.7" / 1.16 m / 3.8 ft
- Its maximum height with column extended: 51.2" / 1.3 m / 4.3 ft

And it folds to only 12.6" / 32 cm, what is really really good, as it fits in all my backpacks really nicely. Ideal for travel.

See this review here in the forum, about it, with several extra photos and comments:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...8-mefoto-backpacker-travel-tripod-review.html

The second option I shared with you has a maximum height with column extended of 61.6" / 1.56 m / 5.1 ft. But its folded length is of 15.4" / 39.1 cm, a bit more than the first one.

Someone at our last photo meetup had one of those MeFOTO tripods, and I was *really* impressed with its light weight & compact folded size. I didn't use it, so I can't comment (much) on sturdiness, but just picking it up & handling it, it seemed sufficiently well-built to serve well in travel duty. I know that's not really much of a review, but from what little I saw, I liked it.

It would if sold by anybody but Adorama...this looks like the latest MIC replacement for Adorama's Flashpoint tripod line...a skillfully-executed knock-off of "Brand A"'s (err, brand M? Brand G?) offering, at a price people will pay. I thought the same thing when I ordered a lightweight, MIC, Flashpoint-brand carbon fiber pod from Adorama...I payed $99 for it on sale with free shipping, but no ballhead, no head of any kind...oh my gosh...what I got was DECENT! Wayyy decent! I think 3POD is their new "house" offering, without the need for them to pay extra for Adorama-centric branding/labelling.

You can see that there are like, 12 leg locks to work around, right? THAT is why I went with a slightly longer, 3-section 'pod...fewer legs to unlock,pull out,lock, and fewer legs to monkey with when major height changes are needed. I am used to the old Bogen 3051, the "automatic tripod" with the squeeze-triggers and the "automatic, 1-second lock and adjust all three legs" capability...to "me", twist-lock legs are a royal PITA...very sloooooooow and annoying to adjust. I'd rather have flip-lock legs, like Manfrotto's newer 099xb or whatever it is they call it. But flip-locks are more of an aluminum tripod thing. Screw-lock legs are simple, and they DO work, albeit slowly.

As far as that model you are looking at Sharon; it's probably better-made than most people would expect for the price, and is a good value, which is what Adorama really strives for with their "house brand" stuff...good, inexpensive stuff for regular folks. Is it a Gitzo at $799. NO. And if somebody steals it, you will not cry all the way home either as if it were a Gitzo, with a $399 magnesium-alloy ball head on top. China has the systems set up to make decent stuff CHEAP these days, and I think the better MIC knock-off stuff is worth its lowish price point.

Yeah, after doing a little more research on this, you're right Derrel--3Pod is the replacement line for Adorama's Flashpoint. I had the opportunity to test out someone's Flashpoint tripod not long ago, and was impressed enough that I'd decided to buy one, only to find out it wasn't available anymore. So, knowing that, I'm even more tempted to give this one a go.

I agree, the twist-lock legs are a pain in the sit-upon--but. I think that for what I'd mostly be using this tripod for, I could probably live with that. The lightweight body and really small folded size may just offset those twist-lock legs.

I'm leaning toward going ahead and buying this. Since it's Adorama, I can always buy it, see whether it fits my needs and if not, return it and still have time to turn around and buy one of the other tripods mentioned.

...to "me", twist-lock legs are a royal PITA...very sloooooooow and annoying to adjust. I'd rather have flip-lock legs, like Manfrotto's newer 099xb or whatever it is they call it. But flip-locks are more of an aluminum tripod thing. Screw-lock legs are simple, and they DO work, albeit slowly.

FWIW, my 190CXPro4 has flip locks, and it's carbon. One of the major selling points for me -- I tried twist locks on an Induro for a while and they about drove me batty. I think it would be ok if I always used the tripod straight up & down at full extension, but I do enough macro stuff and work on uneven ground that it was an issue for me. I still have the Induro as a backup, though.

I have the Manfrotto MK394-PQ Photo Kit QR MK394-PQ and like it a lot. It's light and sturdy but I'm not sure how it will fair with the 150-500 Sigma. With my D5100 and my 70-300 VR it's rock solid.

Most reactions

Back