YO! I think I suck at using Off Camera Flash! You tell me?

ryan_caldero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So been reading alot of material and checking out some stuff online and I attempted to use my speedlight yesterday off camera again. My son was the model which he does not take direction for anything... I took one shot indoors with flash camera left at 45 degrees, the other 2 were taken outside with the sun beating down on us. crappy location with crappy conditions, but had to try. I took a bunch of shots, but these were what made the cut...You tell me what you think? Crap or tips, guidance, toss the camera, etc ... I think I suck...

1. - Shot indoors with flash camera left at quarter power - shot thru umbrella - manual. f5 - 1/250 sec - ISO 400 - 70mm
I think the some parts of his grill (face) are blown out, again he does not take direction well, but I love his hair!

IMG_0999 by ryan_caldero, on Flickr

2. Shot outdoors, cuz he was fed up indoors... shot thru umbrella - Flash at camera right at 45 degrees at quarter power which decreased shadows. f6.3 - 1/160 sec - ISO 400 - 80mm

IMG_1034 by ryan_caldero, on Flickr

3. shot under the carport cuz sun was too intense, natural light coming from the right and flash camera left at quarter power, shot thru umbrella at eye level to my son, my personal fav of the bunch cuz he was acting himself - silly!
f5 - 1/250 sec - ISO 400 - 50mm

IMG_1044 by ryan_caldero, on Flickr

hehe cute kid, #1 id prob try to position your brella a little higher to get hair detail, and perhaps put his side without the flash near a window for added fill. #2 looks great and it might just be my old eyes but it seems like his eyes might be a tad oof. im no pro with a flash either but my initial opinion for what its worth is that they're nice images.

Blown out is when all 3 color channel are at 255 - red=255, green=255, blue=255.

You want facial (grill) highlights between 235 and 245 in the red channel, assuming your white balance is corrected.

Shadows are good. No shadows usually isn't good. Try not to light from both the left and right sides, unless one of the lights delivers appreciably less light.

Fill light, by definition, is on the lens axis and usually above the camera. If a second light isn't on the lens axis, it's no longer fill light, just a second light.

Did you know that in #1 you have short light, and in #2 you have broad light?

Blown out is when all 3 color channel are at 255 - red=255, green=255, blue=255.

You want facial (grill) highlights between 235 and 245 in the red channel, assuming your white balance is corrected.

Shadows are good. No shadows usually isn't good. Try not to light from both the left and right sides, unless one of the lights delivers appreciably less light.

Fill light, by definition, is on the lens axis and usually above the camera. If a second light isn't on the lens axis, it's no longer fill light, just a second light.

Did you know that in #1 you have short light, and in #2 you have broad light?

thanks for the info... I had an idea of the lighting was broad and short....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back