Yorktown at 4am - Please Critique

BlakKrauStudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was hoping to catch a bit of lightning this morning at 4am, but I'm just not that good, I guess. :(

Instead, I ended up with the following photos from the York River Waterfront in Yorktown, VA.

BKS_7902.png

BKS_7908.png

BKS_7910.png

BKS_7911.png

BKS_7923.png

I had a few problems with lens flair, and had to edit quite a bit out, especially on #4. Still didn't get all of it, but my editting skills are pretty poor. Hard to get around all the rigging and such. Anyway, I think the flair is coming from the UV filter I was using. Thoughts?

I also couldn't seem to get a white balance that worked for me. Even though the lights across the bridge are naturally yellow, I chose to change them to more of a white/blue, which proved difficult. I have a few "custom" white balance presets saved, but none seemed to work. I just did each photo on it's own, to see which looked best afterwords.

Feel free to critique. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Any kind of filter screwed to the front of the lens body adds an air gap, and the air gap promotes reflections (flare) between the back of the filter and the front lens element.

Lens flare is caused by bright light sources in or near the image frame. A lens hood's main function is to help prevent lens flare caused by bright light sources near the image frame.

Digital image sensors have a UV filter in front of them. UV filters used for 'protection' cause more problems than they solve.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I do have a lens hood, but I guess I need to lose the filter. Man... seems like Photography Lesson #1 was to use a UV filter, because replacing that is cheaper than replacing the lens. :( Bah.

I used to live in Newport News...I have not been to that area of Yorktown in about 9 years. You captured it well as I instantly recognized and identified. Sure there are minor flaws in them as pointed out, but as far as a nice photo for those who have been there, you did well. Not sure about what it does for those who have not been there as it hit me emotionally having stood in the exact same spots as you and seen what you shot. I was in that area for 5 or 6 years and have many memories of taking the kids there on our regular outings. Thanks for sharing.

I used to live in Newport News...I have not been to that area of Yorktown in about 9 years. You captured it well as I instantly recognized and identified. Sure there are minor flaws in them as pointed out, but as far as a nice photo for those who have been there, you did well. Not sure about what it does for those who have not been there as it hit me emotionally having stood in the exact same spots as you and seen what you shot. I was in that area for 5 or 6 years and have many memories of taking the kids there on our regular outings. Thanks for sharing.

Well, since my goal with my photos is to relay how I feel, or to jog someone's memory about what they experienced with something, I guess I can call this a win. :)

This area hasn't changed much since you were here... other than more traffic, more houses being built, and more tourists in the summer. :p

I also noticed my thread was moved to the location I guess it belongs in. Sorry 'bout that.

I have eaten in that place in shot 3 many times, that one is spot on, good framing as I know what surrounds it.

That boat in 4, do you know if thats there for the 4th? sometimes they bring in the old and new sailboats for the fireworks...seeing that image reminded me of a 4th of July venture out there one year.

I have eaten in that place in shot 3 many times, that one is spot on, good framing as I know what surrounds it.

That boat in 4, do you know if thats there for the 4th? sometimes they bring in the old and new sailboats for the fireworks...seeing that image reminded me of a 4th of July venture out there one year.

The boat is Serenity. Along with Alliance, it's one of two schooners that are regularly docked at Yorktown.

As a general rule, I avoid Yorktown starting around the morning of the 3rd. Traffic gets atrocious, people are rude, and being that I'm often on my motorbike, there's a special level of danger regarding inattentive drivers that I'd rather avoid. :( I love living in an area with so much rich history in regards to our country, but occasionally there are downsides.

That restaurant has changed names about 4 times in the past 10 years. :p They still have good food though. I often stop there after a Sunday ride and grab a bite to eat outside and people watch. They have a killer Reuben Sammich. :thumbup:

yup, everyone loves the reuben, funny how even though it changed names, maybe owners?, it's still known for its reuben.

I wanted to say I recognized that boat, but didn't wanna sound dumb as there are probly many like it. If it's one of those two ya mention, then yeah it's probly the same one.

Yeah I only been once on the 4th, for the reasons you mentioned. I hate crowds.

Most reactions

Back