You are not a Photographer

Gaerek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Removed by popular demand. I'm sorry for anyone who was offended by the link I posted.

Last edited:
As someone who is a photographer, I found that site rather mean-spirited. Yes; there is such thing as bad photography... but singling people out for ridicule is rarely an effective teaching method.

Hard to single people out when they redact the names of the business. This is simply a list of people who shouldn't be taking people's $20 and giving them a CD with photos. Keep in mind, these people put themselves out there. They're using these photos to try to drum up business. I'm not a pro, but I know if I did a photoshoot with someone, and they turned my daughter into a technicolor butterfly, I'd be asking for my money back and walking out.

Besides, there's some people here who might learn a few things from the mistakes of other.

I think one needs to know their limits. For example, i know i can't take good pictures of people, therefore i stick with taking pictures of things. I know i'm not professional, hell, i'm not even a good hobbyist. I enjoy what i do and try to satisfy myselfwhile getting a little better each time i take pictures, which admittedly isn't often enough to really learn much...:blushing:

Really?...

Funny, I got hired to do a photo flight a month ago and the Pro Photographer didn't wait for two seconds to go by before he had to tell me he was a pilot too and how awesome he was... The funny thing is, the more he opened his mouth about flying airplanes (trying to tell me how to fly the plane & the rules & regs so he can get his shot) the more he revealed how much of an aviation tool bag he really was.... I sure a hell hope he sticks to photography and stays out of an airplane...

Maybe I should start a website about dumbass photographers who try to tell the professionals they hire how to do their jobs????

It just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that no matter how awesome these "professional" photographers are who created this website. There are probably at least a dozen other things in life that they, themselves, completely and utterly suck at as well.

I think one needs to know their limits. For example, i know i can't take good pictures of people, therefore i stick with taking pictures of things. I know i'm not professional, hell, i'm not even a good hobbyist. I enjoy what i do and try to satisfy myselfwhile getting a little better each time i take pictures, which admittedly isn't often enough to really learn much...:blushing:

And that's the issue. People think that two weeks with a DSLR, some strobes, a cool background and PSE means they're ready to sell photos.

Really?...

Funny, I got hired to do a photo flight a month ago and the Pro Photographer didn't wait for two seconds to go by before he had to tell me he was a pilot too and how awesome he was... The funny thing is, the more he opened his mouth about flying airplanes (trying to tell me how to fly the plane & the rules & regs so he can get his shot) the more he revealed how much of an aviation tool bag he really was.... I sure a hell hope he sticks to photography and stays out of an airplane...

Maybe I should start a website about dumbass photographers who try to tell the professionals they hire how to do their jobs????

It just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that no matter how awesome these "professional" photographers are who created this website. There are probably at least a dozen other things in life that they, themselves, completely and utterly suck at as well.

I hope you were trying to be ironic. You just did the EXACT same thing that you're complaining about. Funny, eh? :er:

I'm a total noob and, to borrow Otahyoni's phrase, I'm not even a good hobbyist. Nevertheless, that website makes me feel so much better out about what I've been doing, so far. Well, some of it anyway. The stuff I didn't delete immediately for massive suckage. :)

I hope you were trying to be ironic. You just did the EXACT same thing that you're complaining about. Funny, eh? :er:

There are people who complain and then there are people who complain about people who complain lol.

[

No ***t sherlock...

I just thought I'd share that little nugget of experience I had with one of the "photo pros".

I just can't see why everyone wastes sooo much time worrying about what other people are doing. And doing poorly, for that matter. It seems to me that time energy would be better put to use to advance yourself or help others get better.

[

No ***t sherlock...

I just thought I'd share that little nugget of experience I had with one of the "photo pros".

I just can't see why everyone wastes sooo much time worrying about what other people are doing. And doing poorly, for that matter. It seems to me that time energy would be better put to use to advance yourself or help others get better.

That would be ideal, but no one does that, because there is more to life than yourself. It would be impossible to gauge yourself if you didn't compare yourself directly to your peers.

TwoTwoLeft said:
No ***t sherlock...

I suppose we shouldn't compare ourselves to others then? Is that what I'm getting from you? You have the same self righteous attitude that the creators of that website have and you fail to recognize it.

Website: Look at all this pro fauxtographers and their crappy pics!

Twotwoleft: I don't understand why people worry so much about what other people are doing poorly. BTW, here's my own
story of someone doing something poorly! Enjoy!

If you're going to be against something, you should make sure you're not guilty of doing the same thing. That's called hypocrisy.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But when you sit here wasting time you could be using to better yourself, by telling people they're wasting time they could be using to better themselves, your point kinda gets lost, amirite?

I was referring to the website originally posted...

I don't get why some people put all that time and energy into that website just for the sole purpose to bag on other photographers. Seems like that time could be better spent. For example; Like carrying on your own personal crusade in online forums, and whining about which photographers should be allowed to charge for their services... Yes, that was sarcasm.

I was just sharing a story how these pro photographers arent perfect either. We were shooting an air-to-air, in the photo ship had the utility door off the back. We didn't have a harness so to move around the back with the doors off you have to wear an emergency parachute. The photog complained it was too restrictive and removed it half way through the flight...Aparently rules didn't apply to him. Then he kept wanting the subject aircraft closer, and to "slip in". Because, they "do it all the time.." I knew the pilot flying the other plane was good but had very little formation experience. I didn't want him that close to us. "Nothing a longer lens couldn't handle", I was thinking but didn't actually TELL him.

I really don't see how any of that is being self-ritous or hypocritical. This wasn't my first rodeo and I handled the situation was professionally as I could. No were do I go walking around claiming to be a badass. Putting people down just by the sole purpose of because I feel they deserve it...

Last edited:
I was referring to the website originally posted...

I don't get why some people put all that time and energy into that website just for the sole purpose to bag on other photographers. Seems like that time could be better spent. For example; Like carrying on your own personal crusade in online forums, and whining about which photographers should be allowed to charge for their services... Yes, that was sarcasm.

I see. So wasting your time in your own way is ok, but wasting your time with that website, not ok. I get it. :roll:

I implore you, not to do anything, or watch anything, or support anything that bags on anyone at all. Hey, you're bagging on me right now! Seems like that time could be better spent, eh?

Besides, in the end, I posted this for two reasons. First, it entertained me. I personally couldn't believe what people were pushing off as professional photography. Go about 5 or 6 pages in to see the blurry engagement photo, and try to find the sharp part of the image! Secondly, it serves to show people what not to do, and what not to get caught up in. If this prevents one person from making technicolor butterflys, white vignette, poor use of shallow DoF, or spot/selective coloring, then my job is done, and I've made the photography world a slightly better place.

God forbid we criticize anyone. Wouldn't want to hurt any feelings!

Oh, and to comment on the part of your quote I bolded. You referred to the website, but you wasted your time doing the EXACT SAME THING. How can you not understand the irony there. You are NO BETTER than the people who put that website together. Get off your high horse, realize you're just like the rest of us, and get a freakin sense of humor.

It's funny how you get so defensive over everything.

so yeah I have a site with some photos that show my progress as a photographer, I sure hope nobody mocks me but if they do .. oh well! They obviously feel insecure then.

Link?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back