You do what you got to do to get the shot

This video disturbs me on levels I can't even begin to explain....

I was hoping he would fall...thin out the gene pool and all, ya know? That's purely idiotic in the biggest way. No safety? **** happens, I don't care how strong you are...look at what happened to Steve Irwin.

Maybe he did buy the farm...notice how the video doesn't show him climbing back up?...

I will have to get you to the top of a wind turbine. I don't mind heights but standing on top with only a safety harness is quite unnerving!

I'll pass. Runnah, have you seen the video of Joe McNally on the top of the building in Dubai? Link here

Childs play compared to this. I puckered in the few spots where they free climbed with no safety tethers.

That damn near gave me an anxiety attack just watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
- I once went into a serious mosh pit to get in the front line of a metal concert, just with a cheap point and shoot camera... I'm not trying this with an expensive DSLR.

- Shooting night streets shots in districts where the criminality rate is high, where you can get robbed easily.
Next winter I'm off to shoot some nice buildings, in a district where Police arrests photographers because they provokes robberies... instead of arresting the criminals...

This video disturbs me on levels I can't even begin to explain....

Screw that,thats just dumb.He has no consideration for the clean up crew that has to scrap him off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst I have done So far was walked through a Sumac bush and disturbed a bald face hornets nest.I got stung hard and a day or two later had a itchy red rash spreading like wildfire.

What I want to know is: What was "the shot" you got by going down there?
Or was the shot you were after the one of you down there on the ledge? If that was the case, seems like you could have left the camera gear at the top.

I'm not a risk taker. I'm especially not a risk taker when I have expensive camera gear with me. Add to that vision problems and balance problems, and yeah...I don't climb out on ledges or down steep banks or out on tree limbs for a shot.
My "risks" are more like getting really close to a stinging insect just for a good macro, or risking traipsing through high grass where you can't see if there's a snake...

Mostly, I just risk public humiliation when people see a slightly overweight, out-of-shape, past middle-age woman (who is also 6' tall with red hair, so not like I stand out or anything... :lmao: ) laying on the ground or kneeling in some contorted position...or trying to get UP after getting the shot. :lol:
Generally, they first look like they are considering calling 911--once they figure out that I'm just a crazy person with a camera, then they start trying to figure out what could have been so photo-worthy to make it worth putting myself in that position.

this is what i was after
IMG_1890 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
its nothing amazing but im in love with it:)

The Old Homestead:

$Old-Homestead.jpg

This shot nearly got me killed. I was in rural Maryland when I spotted this old house. Nobody was around, so I strayed about twenty feet onto the property to get the shot. Next thing I know, an old coot in a pickup truck comes careening over the hill behind the house and heads right toward me. The grass, being grass, didn't allow much traction and the fool couldn't stop very well. Had I not gotten quickly out of his way, I'd have been a goner. After he got the thing stopped, he regaled me with insults and told me to give him my camera. I said "I don't think so," proceeded to my car, and left the scene of the crime. I was sure the guy had a shotgun somewhere in that truck, but I didn't look back to find out.

flew in a huey helicopter, map of the earth, on a ride along with a bunch of national guard soldiers; may not sound too bad, but this was years ago, and the helicopter was piloted by a slightly ptsd'd pilot who'd flown in vietnam. And I really HATE flying!

It's either that, or wading out into fast-moving flood waters for a better angle on an ongoing water rescue of two kids who'd gotten washed away in their pickup and were plucked (safely) from the roof. On a side note, the photo earned me a Photo of the Week slot on MSNBC Week in Pictures.

If anyone's interested, here's a link: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19618538/displaymode/1107/s/2/
It's the seventh photo in the gallery.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back