Young, irrational, and in Love.

Since the best result a photographer can possibly acheive is to convey emotion, wouldn't that make this the best photograph ever taken in the entire history of photography pretty much on that basis alone?

Assuming I'm willing to buy into that premise; I simply do not feel any emotion when I look at the photograph.

There is one very important component to the hypothesis that you have neglected: The viewer.

Here's my analysis:

1. Since the best result a photographer can possibly acheive is to convey emotion to the viewer, and
2. The viewer feels no emotion when viewing the photograph,
3. Therefore; the photograph has failed to convey emotion.

Most worthwhile art is that way; it "conveys emotion", or more precisely; elicits emotion in the viewer.
It elicits emotion in some viewers, and doesn't in others. Like all art. Just because some people don't have an emotional reaction does not make it a failure or prove that the image isn't worthwhile. I appreciate that it doesn't get a reaction out of you though; it's to be expected that some just don't appreciate it. I look at photos all the time that people go gaga over and just don't get it myself. It doesn't prove anything other than the fact that opinion is subjective, and nobody's opinion is solid fact.

Do I think this photo shows irrationality? YES! Because I believe young love is irrational.

There are some pretty famous plays, movies and songs to support this. ;)

Dan you are trying to explain love to a robot.
"Beep beep does not compute. Error error!" ;)

Most of us have had some crazy early emotions based around love. Who hasn't fallen head over heels over the wrong woman or man? Who hasn't put their heart on a platter only to have it smacked to the floor and stomped on. Love is many things and irrational is at the top of the list.

Do I think this photo shows irrationality? YES! Because I believe young love is irrational.

There are some pretty famous plays, movies and songs to support this. ;)

Dan you are trying to explain love to a robot.
"Beep beep does not compute. Error error!" ;)

Most of us have had some crazy early emotions based around love. Who hasn't fallen head over heels over the wrong woman or man? Who hasn't put their heart on a platter only to have it smacked to the floor and stomped on. Love is many things and irrational is at the top of the list.
Indeed. Honestly I think he's just more concerned with being right than anything else.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back