Your Opinion Please!

tinacolada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ittybittyportraits.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well here is my story; I am hoping to make a small business out of photography after being asked by many people to take their children’s pictures. I decided to order some lights and give it a whirl but now have found out that my lights are great but my camera (Sony 5.0mp Cyber-Shot) isn’t going to cut it. The flash strobes and there is no way to sync my lights that I know of. So now I am faced with a problem of investing more and hoping to make my money back out of it or just trying to make due with what I have. I was hoping for a little advice on how you all got started. I will attach some pictures of my daughter that I have taken at home with what lighting was available. I want to do maternity, children’s and family portraits. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Tina
DSC02829.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/tinacolada4u/DSC02829.jpg

I think your photography is very good. I also believe you have a very good shot indeed to make a business go of it.
Photography however, isn't any different that any other business. There is often a substantial start up cost. Upgrading your camera is only one of the many things you are going to need to get things going. However, it's definately where I would put my money first.
It's not that the camera you have is bad, because it isn't. You just don't have tons of options with it. Obviously you are doing quite well without the tons of options, but a professional camera does more than just offer options and quality photo ability, it also serves to LOOK professional. It helps to add to an air of professionalism. For instance, a banker could do his job quite well in shorts and a t-shirt, but you wouldn't afford him much confidence, would you?
So, bite the bullet, and go for it. All the other stuff can wait. You'll need it eventually, but for now, it can wait.
Best of luck to you!
Cindy

Just what I needed to hear. I actually have bought some props and backgrounds... etc. Working on a web page. My husband is about to pack up and leave. It takes SO MUCH TIME but I think it will be worth it. I will add the cameral onto the list of purchase lists. Any suggestions on what camera to use? I see lots of people liking the D50's and D70's.
Thanks again, tina

I'm a Canon girl myself, so I don't know much about Nikon. The 20D is definately good and is moderately priced........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back