Your thoughts on the nikon 80-200

ive heard the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF version auto focuses slow, would it be too slow for sports?

I have no problem shooting sports with my 80-200. I notice you have the 50mm f/1.8. For comparison, the 80-200 AF is just about as fast as the AF on my 50mm f/1.4. Just get it, you'll be happy I assure you.

Last edited:
The focus speed is fine in brightly lit areas. Inside (an arena for example) you're going to have to trade up ISO speed for quality. However out in bright light where its easy to focus, you shouldn't have any problem.

yeah the 1.8 seems really fast for me, and now I just need to sell the 55-200

EDIT: so is there any difference between the AF and AF-D that would be worth the little extra price?

This look like the one (the local seller already sold his): KEH Camera: Nikon Auto Focus - Zoom Lenses - 80-200 F2.8 D MACRO ED (77) WITH HOOD, CAPS, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

That is the push pull version, which is the version before the 2-ring one. I balk a bit at the cost, but the optics are the same as the 2-ring. Also, if you're like me, the 80-200 will be the lens you use the most when out roaming.

The D difference is largely meaningless in the grand scheme of things and shouldn't be a factor in your purchase. If you have the cash for the BGN one on KEH - go ahead and get it.

I never used KEH, so do they have high standards? I was going to get the EX one but if there is little difference the BGN one would be great.

I would want the get the D one because wouldn't it have better 3-D matrix metering?

All the D does is add distance information to the camera. Useful? Yes. Vital? No. The metering system on these cameras will do just fine without it. Do not let that factor into your choice of lens.

As for KEH's rating system, if they list something as BGN it's probably what most sellers on forums list things as "Excellent". Plus I swear they have a return policy if you aren't satisfied with the condition of the product.

There were two models made before the two-ring AF-D model. The original AF model was made from 1988 to 1992. The AF-D model was introduced in 1993. If you want 3-D Matrix metering, you'll want a D-compatible lens. I have owned two of the first version, the pre-D model. The biggest difference in operation is that the *original* AF model has a funky, three-position AF limiter which is a ring mounted on the front of the lens barrel,and it must be pulled forward and twisted to set the AF limiter.

The first two versions of this 80-200 AF lens have very SLOW autofocusing, even on a professional level D1 or D2 series body.

A BGN lens from KEH is in rough cosmetic shape,and might have scratches on the glass, and it *will* be rough-looking. A KEH BGN lens is in no way shape or form an 'excellent' condition lens from other vendors. Other vendors use the term Ug or Ugly for what KEH calls BGN. A BGN lens from KEH has always seen extended, heavy, significant use,and will look well-worn. KEH has a conservative grading system, but a BGN 80-200 AF (pre-D) will be a 21 to 17 year old lens, no matter what. On a 21 to 17 year old zoom lens, a BGN sample is not what you want to buy.

And, if you want a lens for active sports shooting, the original two 80-200 AF-D screwdriver lenses are simply not the best choices. Why? AF and AF-D uses a screw driven mechanism where AF is determined by trial and error; those who know about the AF-S protocol know that it uses a software program that can analyze the incoming AF data and can predict the exact,specific AF point,which is something the AF and AF-D protocolc can NOT do. The Nikon AF-S protocol has been revised many times,and it arrives at the correct focus point based on data analysis and has predictive AF capability; the older,screwdriver protocol has no predictive capabilities, and is purely trial-and-error focus,delivered through a series of shafts and cams in the lens. Source for this? Nikon technical guru Thom Hogan's writings describing why AF-S and screwdriver focusing have wildly different field performance characteristics.

The D2h has a high-torque AF motor in it, but the first two versions of this lens, the one-ring or push-pull lenses have very slow AF, on any Nikon body.

so what would a good lens be? (for around the same price)

A KEH BGN lens is in no way shape or form an 'excellent' condition lens from other vendors.

Reread what I wrote.

so what would a good lens be? (for around the same price)

The lens you're already looking at. This shouldn't be a hard choice, but I know it is. There are a lot of words in the previous posters reply and for surely words equates knowledge (somewhere). But for what you are trying to do, the difference is negligiable. It really is. If you are unsure, just hop on FredMiranda.com and look at the reviews of the 80-200 (all versions are mixed in but you'll be able to tell who has what lens), or simply do a search on Flickr.com to see what people are accomplishing DESPITE the supposed physical limitations of the lens is.

KEH.com's very own definition of a BGN lens:

"Bargain" Shows more than average wear. May have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. Glass may have marks and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality*."

When you get to the brass finish on a Nikkor lens, it has been used and used HARD. When you buy a 16-element lens that has "dents", "dings/and or brassing", you are buying a lens that has been used hard, or carelessly, or both.

ANDS sounds like a 29-year old know it all. I know you, the original poster, are very young, and are looking for sound advice. You're not going to get that from ANDS. He's young, but he acts like he's been around the block. There is absolutely no sense in handicapping yourself with a 21- to 17-year old, outdated, beat-up 80-200 One Ring zoom if you want it for sports shooting. Nikon abandoned the design more than a decade ago. The price is low, and the technology dates to the late 1980's. Again, this is an OLD lens design and one thing I have learned about buying used gear is, "buy condition". Old, worn, brassy, dinged-up 20+ year old zooms? Not a good value; since the design is so old, excellent examples do not cost much more than thrashers. Once again, "buy condition".

"Bargain" Shows more than average wear. May have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. Glass may have marks and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality*." ANDS sure knows what he's talking about if he states that is what others try to use as their criteria describing an "excellent" lens! Not.

Last edited:
As for KEH's rating system, if they list something as BGN it's probably what most sellers on forums list things as "Excellent".

Bolded to help you out.

As for KEH's rating system, if they list something as BGN it's probably what most sellers on forums list things as "Excellent".

Bolded to help you out.

Seriously doubt that, even if you say probably, indicating that you don't really know.

I have seen KEH's stuff, and BGN means BGN, not excellent. They are honest sellers, and describe their items as such.

Sorry.

My brain hurts :drool:

But thanks to both ANDS! and derrel

I will take both of your advice. I extrapolated (see I know big words) from your posts that I should get a Good condition (EX from KEH)80-200 f/2.8 AF-D from HERE

Now I just need to figure out how to pay for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back