Yousuf Karsh, an inspiration?

chiyeung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the reasons why I began to save for my own DSLR and perhaps learn portraiture was because of Yousuf Karsh. Looking at his portraits inspired me to learn about photography. Every image I looked at, I could see a story
For example : Yousuf Karsh / Photographer
The beard, the hat, the eyes, everything got to me.

What do you guys think of Karsh? Do you like his style?
How do you describe of style? Would there be any way to emulate his style?

Thank you for that link - it IS inspirational.

While it is clear that Karsh had a very high level of technical training, the attribute that made him especially effective was his ability to connect with his subject (something reinforced in him by his early mentor, Garo). Karsh photographed the inner person what emerged from behind the shell or wall that all of us construct. He coupled this ability to an extremely high level of technical skill, but the foundation was his ability to connect. The lesson for us is to take the time to understand our subject (whether inanimate or live), and use the photograph to reveal the essence, as opposed to showing us the surface we are used to seeing and expecting to see. The latter is a cliché, the former, a revelation.

One of my 25 favourite photos:
Yousuf Karsh / Photographer
Just curious; you were inspired to emulate Karsh so you saved for a DSLR? Karsh's approach to his subjects, his lighting techniques and his impecable composition are certainly not format dependent, but the look of most of his work screams large negatives. He also had a great printer (Ignas Gabalis). I assume that the stately vibe and timeless feel are almost enforced by his dedication to the 8x10 format.

WOW :thumbup:, he's as good of a story teller as a photographer

I guess I want a DSLR because of the options and the quality it has compared to a normal point and shoot. And also because it is more convenient for me than film.

Oh you're right, most of his pictures are 8x10!

My classic 6x9 plate camera + rollfilm back + darkroom set up + film scanner was quite a bit less than $200.

Most reactions

Back