Zack Arias: Crop or Crap ?

If your any good 200 shots a battery is plenty it's only you dslr shooters that have to shoot thousands to get one average shot

Sooo full of B.S..

We can't all shoot grainy Rodinol-developed pictures of rocks and dogs on expired old B&W film...

If your any good 200 shots a battery is plenty it's only you dslr shooters that have to shoot thousands to get one average shot

Sooo full of B.S..

We can't all shoot grainy Rodinol-developed pictures of rocks and dogs on expired old B&W film...
Thats not all I shoot just what I post on here, I wouldn't waste my good stuff on here or post it on the Internet

Overread said:
I think if Sony wants to really use mirrorless to its fullest they've got to take the camera it self back to the drawing board and apply ergonomics to the design more so.

They could START with re-thinking the right hand grip, so it has a decent hand-hold for a grownup. Put a bit of a grip swell on there, and re-think the battery's size, weight, and capacity. It would not take that much re-engineering to incorporate a much bigger battery in the slight V-shape Nikon uses, which makes the battery a bit less-wide than it would otherwise be, and also sort of would create a natural outside curve for a handgrip...load the battery from the bottom up...done...triple the battery capacity in one, single pack..

...but that's the difference between a real, serious camera manufacturer that's been in business since the 1940's, and a TV set maker that bought some other company's cast-off intellectual property after it had already been sold off once before...

Overread said:
I think if Sony wants to really use mirrorless to its fullest they've got to take the camera it self back to the drawing board and apply ergonomics to the design more so.

They could START with re-thinking the right hand grip, so it has a decent hand-hold for a grownup. Put a bit of a grip swell on there, and re-think the battery's size, weight, and capacity. It would not take that much re-engineering to incorporate a much bigger battery in the slight V-shape Nikon uses, which makes the battery a bit less-wide than it would otherwise be, and also sort of would create a natural outside curve for a handgrip...load the battery from the bottom up...done...triple the battery capacity in one, single pack..

...but that's the difference between a real, serious camera manufacturer that's been in business since the 1940's, and a TV set maker that bought some other company's cast-off intellectual property after it had already been sold off once before...
I take size 11 gloves and have never had a problem with the grip on the A7 you can shoot one handed which you can't with a dslr

Overread said:

I take size 11 gloves and have never had a problem with the grip on the A7 you can shoot one handed which you can't with a dslr

I occasionally have to shoot my 7D one handed w/canon 70-200mm...not the handiest thing, but not really a problem either. Remember if you are going to exercise the arm muscles by lifting sacks of potatoes you have to put potatoes in the sack! ;)

Overread said:

I occasionally have to shoot my 7D one handed w/canon 70-200mm...not the handiest thing, but not really a problem either. Remember if you are going to exercise the arm muscles by lifting sacks of potatoes you have to put potatoes in the sack! ;)
I exercise 8 hours a day 5 days a week at work

The grip on the A7 is wayyyy too small for my hands...it's like they designed it for a woman. Maybe they did, for all I know. I used to sell cameras back in the early 1990's, and women have a decided preference for smaller, lighter cameras, and I know many in the Japan home market do as well; the Japan home market is where mirrorless sales have been pretty good since MILC cameras hit the market. I think the damned thing is simpy, too small...I cannot get a full grip on the A7..it needs to be made BIGGER, thicker, in the grip area, and have a slight amount of swell or tapering to it; the cheap, slab-type look is ergonomically rubbish.

LOL

This is why I don't follow big name photographers and their personal opinion about anything. You use whatever gear you feel comfortable with to get the job done, regardless of the opinion of some big shot photographer. :D

Its kind of strange that these photographers like Zack, Trey Ratcliff, David Hobby, etc use to all shoot with a full frame DSLR and now they have all switched to a compact mirrorless system. I just don't get how they can just stop using a full frame DSLR and go to a smaller sensor and then start trash talking DSLRs and saying they are paper weights. I know some use the Sony A7 cameras...but still. I mean are they like getting paid by like Sony and Fuji to get their cameras out there and convince people DSLR cameras are pointless?

They must love carrying multiple batteries in their pockets.
Well, I dont know Trey Ratcliff, but both Zack Arias and David Hobby are strobists, which are in their personal heaven with the X100 line of cameras, since those can flash sync up to 1/4000 sec (from f/5.6 on).

Zack Arias never said DSLRs are paper weights. I kind of doubt a professional photographer like David Hobby would say that, either, but I havent read much of that guy.

And for the record, I have 4 (original Nikon) batteries for my D750, which can yield me about 4000-5000 pictures in total.

Its kind of strange that these photographers like Zack, Trey Ratcliff, David Hobby, etc use to all shoot with a full frame DSLR and now they have all switched to a compact mirrorless system. I just don't get how they can just stop using a full frame DSLR and go to a smaller sensor and then start trash talking DSLRs and saying they are paper weights. I know some use the Sony A7 cameras...but still. I mean are they like getting paid by like Sony and Fuji to get their cameras out there and convince people DSLR cameras are pointless?

Well, I dont know Trey Ratcliff, but both Zack Arias and David Hobby are strobists, which are in their personal heaven with the X100 line of cameras, since those can flash sync up to 1/4000 sec (from f/5.6 on).

Zack Arias never said DSLRs are paper weights. I kind of doubt a professional photographer like David Hobby would say that, either, but I havent read much of that guy.

And for the record, I have 4 (original Nikon) batteries for my D750, which can yield me about 4000-5000 pictures in total.

Well Zack may have never said DSLRs are paper weights, but he did say they are dead. I think David Hobby has said something similar too.

Trey Ratcliff made a video saying DSLRs are paper weights or a door stop, I don't remember.

Just imagine how many batteries you'd need to use for Sony A7 to match your 4 Nikon batteries, I'm going to guess it would be somewhere around 20 batteries. Haha.

If I had a dollar for every time some industry type claimed something was "dead" i'd have enough dollars to buy extra sony batteries.

As I mentioned above, there are different cameras for different needs. As a predominantly street shooter I would choose a smaller size camera on any day (even cloudy), even if it means a couple of spare batteries in the bag.

I find a large DSLR to be cumbersome to carry around for hours, it is the best way to scare off your possible objects and in my view it just looks ugly and ridiculous on the street to be honest with you. When I see a guy with a large DSLR walking London streets shooting "stuff", I think he is either a tourist or does not quite know what he is doing.

As for an inconvenience of shooting with a small body, it is all a matter of practice, believe me. Human hands are the most adaptive instrument in the world. After a year of shooting mostly with Ricoh, FUJI XT-1 seemed huge :)

I rarely shoot more than 300 frames in a day, 50 to 100 shots is more likely, and a FUJI XT-1 battery lasts for over 300. I do carry some spare batteries though in my bag and do not see any problem whatsoever in changing it if needed. It takes 5 seconds. Tell me what is all the fuss about it? 300 shots per battery? 600? 1000? Practically it is irrelevant for an amateur. IRRELEVANT. Ask film shooters.

Now, if you are a professional sports photog covering Wimbledon or US Open for Reuters or Getty, where you need to shoot in 5-7 frame bursts every 30 sec. for hours non stop, then my XT-1 with its teeny weeny battery and pathetic small body would look even more ridiculous next to a usual de rigueur Canon OES 1D. I would be looked upon exactly the way I look at a DSLR street shooter (probably much worse). And a week battery would be seriously inadequate here, probably even costing you a good shot or two.

So, as I said different cameras for different needs.

Well Zack may have never said DSLRs are paper weights, but he did say they are dead. I think David Hobby has said something similar too.

Trey Ratcliff made a video saying DSLRs are paper weights or a door stop, I don't remember.

Just imagine how many batteries you'd need to use for Sony A7 to match your 4 Nikon batteries, I'm going to guess it would be somewhere around 20 batteries. Haha.
Why would you need to take 4000-5000 shots, would that be to get 5 good shots [emoji3] I have never had a problem with battery life with my A7 because I shoot it like my film Leicas I don't just point a machine gun

Most reactions

New Topics

Back