Zoom lens for D5100

chasmasb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I recently bought the D5100 and it came with the basic 18-55 lens. I very quickly learned that it is not enough :). I am looking to buy a good (not too expensive) zoom lens. I have been looking at the 70-300mm f4.5-6G af. What do you guys think about this lens?

The other other one i have seen around is the 70-300mm f/4.5-6g ED IF af-s vr but, that one is almost $600.

Do I really need the extra vr feature since my camera already have the VR function? Also, what is the ED for?

Thank you for all your help

The Vibration Reduction is not in the body; it is in the lens if it is there at all. I have the d5100 with the 18-200 VRII Nikon lens, and couldn't shoot handheld telephoto without the VR on.

Ah you are correct...I don't know what I was thinking. So, I really should spend the extra money and get the $600 one. I am completely new to photography but, ready to invest the time and money to learn this art.

What if I still get the cheaper version (The one without VR)....will that still work for a while until I get better?

Ah you are correct...I don't know what I was thinking. So, I really should spend the extra money and get the $600 one. I am completely new to photography but, ready to invest the time and money to learn this art.

What if I still get the cheaper version (The one without VR)....will that still work for a while until I get better?

You need to use a tripod to get a sharp image with the non vr.

If you shoot with a lens over 100mm VR is needed or a tripod for sure, Well I sure need one or the other. Do you really need a 300mm, what are you shooting?

Well since I am still learning I am shooting anything and everything. I do enjoy nature and portrait shooting more. I am taking a alaska cruise soon so I think I will need the 300mm for that.

chasmasb said:
Well since I am still learning I am shooting anything and everything. I do enjoy nature and portrait shooting more. I am taking a alaska cruise soon so I think I will need the 300mm for that.

You should buy the 55-300mm VR (it's cheaper I believe) and then get a fast prime like a 35 1.8g or a 50 1.8g. The primes are good for low light and portraits. I don't know much about the 70-300mm but the VR is awesome with the 55-300. I don't carry a tripod with me do the VR is essential.

A tripod is necessary for anything slower than the focal length being used. Meaning 1s/mm.
I don't know if the crop sensor changes the equation since the focal length stays the same just the FOV changes. So if you use a fast shutter speed, then you won't really use the VR. If you don't plan on upgrading to FX and want to save a few bucks, check out the 55-200 or 55-300.

so buy the 70-300 VR used.. can be found for $300-400... and it is a darn good value! Much better than the non VR version...

Thank you everyone for your input. I will take a look at the 55-300 option as well.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will take a look at the 55-300 option as well.
\

No matter what your choice is I think you still need something wider than 50mm what about the 18-200 VR?

The 70-300 is thought by many to be a much better lens than the 55-300. DxO Mark gives the 70-300 higher marks than the 55-300 in every category. I have the 70-300 and use it a lot. If I broke it today I'd turn around and buy another one exactly like it without a second thought.

I have the 18-55 VR and 70-300 VR and let me tell you the combo is highly highly capable. Both slow lenses but the image quality on both is great! I would go for the 70-300 VR as it's slightly better than the 55-300 and only costs slightly more. Better AF and build quality to name a few things it has over the 55-300 VR. Also the 70-300 VR can be used on full frame cameras and the 55-300 is a DX only lens.

As for VR, YES you do want VR in any telephoto lens you buy. VR is so helpful it can not be praised enough, VR is no excuse though not to use good handholding technique. The combo of VR and good handholding technique means sharp images at ridiculously slow shutter speeds.

If you want a fast prime, get the 50 1.8G to supplement it. The 35 1.8G is a decent lens, the 50 1.8G is a very very good lens. Better sharpness, bokeh and much less CA and distortion. I have the Sigma 50 1.4 and in my opinion this is one of the best fast primes you can buy.

Yeah I am definitely leaning more towards the 70-300. I don't think I will get the distance needed with the 18-200 (especially for my Alaska trip). I am going to see if I can find a refurbished or a used one. All this information is a bit overwhelming since I am just starting out...so I'm sorry if some of my questions or response sound novice.

PapaMatt said:
\

No matter what your choice is I think you still need something wider than 50mm what about the 18-200 VR?

But the OP already has the 18-55 lens so that focal length is already covered.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back