What's new

Zoom Pan

The fact that the EXIF is not there leads towards an Photoshop edited image. Actually, now that I give it a second look, it is most certainly done in post processing.

Now I'm not impressed.

Not all photo hosting sites preserve exif data.

You're right. This image is hosted on Facebook, which does not preserve EXIF. I should have checked that first.

If he's doing what I think he's doing (adjusting the focal length with the shutter open), then he couldn't have possibly created these exact results. The giveaway is the snow falling in front of the train. All of the snow that isn't in front of the train is blurry, yet the snow flakes in front of the train are in focus, suggesting that those particular snowflakes are moving in the same direction and speed as the train, since that is the only way that they would be in focus if he was zooming out as the train moved towards him.

Yet........ if the train is moving, the front of it is sharp as well.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.
 
something else is that the train is in focus towards the back more so than the car next to it. seems to me that if it were done in camera- the car ought to be in focus more than it is, correct? and this result could be done fairly easily in ps using masking techniques. NOW IM REALLY CURIOUS:) lol
 
It must be PS. The whole tram is in focus - but the back of the tram is coming round the corner and would be travelling laterally relative to the camera and surely would be blurred as such?
 
Last edited:
Whichever method was chosen (the whole tram being in focus does suggest it was something done in post... a pity ... a true "zoomer" is a nice thing, but not easily pulled off) - this photo makes me feel sick to the stomach after a moment of looking at it closely. A tremendous effect, agreed, but not a positive one ... :pale:

;)
 
If focusing on the front of tram and zoomed out almost at the same speed of tram, can this effect be generated? :scratch:
 
Yes. It can. But then the other parts of the tram towards the back would have the same zooming effect on them as the rest of the street scene.
 
I'd say the shot was taking running backwards at the same speed of the tram. A highly skilled thing to do ;)
Good effect. Nice one.
 
The giveaway is the snow falling in front of the train.

{s}There is no falling snow. That's snow on the windshield.{/s}

Don't mind me, I'm just blind.
 
The giveaway is the snow falling in front of the train.

{s}There is no falling snow. That's snow on the windshield.{/s}

Don't mind me, I'm just blind.

No, there's definitely falling snow. Check to the left of the train. Most of it is just masked by the effect. I can assure you that it is.
 
After staring at these types of shots for a while my head starts to hurt lol
 
The giveaway is the snow falling in front of the train.

{s}There is no falling snow. That's snow on the windshield.{/s}

Don't mind me, I'm just blind.

No, there's definitely falling snow. Check to the left of the train. Most of it is just masked by the effect. I can assure you that it is.

Yes, considering that it's strikethroughed [Forum doesn't support strikethrough] and edited, I realized that before you told me... .
 
It seems to me the OP is on another train that is on the other tracks. This is a zoom and pan. Maybe the two trains were moving at the same speed making the pan much easier. The train is in focus from front to back due to a small aperture.


Fantastic shot anyway it was done. Great detail on the driver.
 
The fact that the EXIF is not there leads towards an Photoshop edited image. Actually, now that I give it a second look, it is most certainly done in post processing.

Now I'm not impressed.

Just curious how are you so sure?

I tried doing this with a train a few days ago, but didn't get the results I was hoping for. It is pretty hard to do it well I think.

If he's doing what I think he's doing (adjusting the focal length with the shutter open), then he couldn't have possibly created these exact results. The giveaway is the snow falling in front of the train. All of the snow that isn't in front of the train is blurry, yet the snow flakes in front of the train are in focus, suggesting that those particular snowflakes are moving in the same direction and speed as the train, since that is the only way that they would be in focus if he was zooming out as the train moved towards him.

The only snow I see clearly is on the train, not around it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom