10 reasons why a Pro Photographer left Nikon...

Hi, Joe (Ysarex). Sony outlet when it was still around was OK but didn't suck. Calumet rentals have Sony lenses. I've had two of my Sony bodies repaired by Sony and so far have been working great. (They cost less to fix by Sony than a local and well-known camera repair shop in NYC.) Whether or not you're exaggerating, I think "laughable joke" is uncalled for. We have, after all, clients who would disagree.

Photographers_by_Augustas_Didzgalvis.jpg
Pro's do shoot other things than sports the Sony A7 is perfect for documentary photography

And 90% of documentary photographers are using Sony now, right? Or is that 9%? Or is that .9%? The fact remains that no matter what the specialty, given the odd exception, pros don't use Sony.

The A7 is a great camera. When I downsized last year I considered the A7 as well as the a6000.

Now I'mma have to come to Schiller's and check everything out...I've been meaning to get over there, just difficult to make the time. (I've actually talked to Ed Crim about some of the Saturday classes but have yet to carve out time in an overloaded schedule...I will though!)

Say hi to Ed for me.

Joe

Hi, Joe.

Hmm, I'm starting to think we have a different definition of "pro".

Hi, Joe (Ysarex). Sony outlet when it was still around was OK but didn't suck. Calumet rentals have Sony lenses. I've had two of my Sony bodies repaired by Sony and so far have been working great. (They cost less to fix by Sony than a local and well-known camera repair shop in NYC.) Whether or not you're exaggerating, I think "laughable joke" is uncalled for. We have, after all, clients who would disagree.

Wow look at all those unique perspectives! Oh wait... That's 20 photographers taking the same shot... Yeah... Creative...

In all fairness, he did back up what he said with photos: the little A6000 did a good job with desperate-looking Ehtiophians who sat or stood there and stared blankly into the camera. But I've seen the autofocus tests on the A6000, and the lenses and focus system are not up to what d-slrs can provide for sports or action and nature work. Lenses that are in the f/5~6.3 range are kind of a sticking point in some of the mirrorless systems, so what many people would end up needing is another entirely different system.

But for social photography, like the Ethiopians sitting around and looking helpless, any camera is going to be up to the task of focusing and metering those shots. If a person needs a light, small, compact camera for walkaround shooting of mostly still or slow-moving stuff, I think the mirrorless options make a lot of sense.

My issue with Sony is the four different lens mounts within a 10 year period. I'm just not down with that kind of a company, one that treats me as a credit card number. I really DO NOT have any faith in Sony ever sticking with ANYTHING to its true fruition.
Sony has some great ideas and their sensors are the best. But, like Derrel posted, 4 lens mounts in 10 years? Sony just doesn't stay with anything long enough to develop it into a system pro's or even serious amateurs have any faith in.

Wow look at all those unique perspectives! Oh wait... That's 20 photographers taking the same shot... Yeah... Creative...
Oftentimes there are designated areas for photographers, and only those designated areas.

Oftentimes there are designated areas for photographers, and only those designated areas.

I know. I just don't agree with it. It makes it seem so disenfranchised from ART. But that's my artistic touchy-feely view, I guess.

Hi, Joe.

Here, for example, is what I'm working on now as we speak so to speak for an architectural firm. When the architect said I was "very professional", I would have to take him at his word and consider myself a professional. But I think when he said that, he wasn't really referring to my gear but rather to the way I conduct myself in business.

fnbnts.jpg

Sony A550, Tamron 10-24mm, remote shutter release cable from eBay, and Triopo tripod from PhotoPlus Expo in NYC.

Hi, Joe.

Here, for example, is what I'm working on now as we speak so to speak for an architectural firm. When the architect said I was "very professional", I would have to take him at his word and consider myself a professional. But I think when he said that, he wasn't really referring to my gear but rather to the way I conduct myself in business.

fnbnts.jpg

Sony A550, Tamron 10-24mm, remote shutter release cable from eBay, and Triopo tripod from PhotoPlus Expo in NYC.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me here. Are you telling me that your primary source of income, your livelihood is derived from the photographs you take and sell? Is that the case? Then you're a professional photographer. If your primary income source is not taking and selling photographs then you're not a professional photographer. If you're a professional photographer and you use a Sony camera then you're an exception to the rule. Exceptions don't change rules. I said this: "The massive majority of pro photographers don't and won't use Sony cameras." That's a fact. If you're an exception, that's still a fact.

In all fairness, he did back up what he said with photos: the little A6000 did a good job with desperate-looking Ehtiophians who sat or stood there and stared blankly into the camera. But I've seen the autofocus tests on the A6000, and the lenses and focus system are not up to what d-slrs can provide for sports or action and nature work. Lenses that are in the f/5~6.3 range are kind of a sticking point in some of the mirrorless systems, so what many people would end up needing is another entirely different system.

But for social photography, like the Ethiopians sitting around and looking helpless, any camera is going to be up to the task of focusing and metering those shots. If a person needs a light, small, compact camera for walkaround shooting of mostly still or slow-moving stuff, I think the mirrorless options make a lot of sense.

My issue with Sony is the four different lens mounts within a 10 year period. I'm just not down with that kind of a company, one that treats me as a credit card number. I really DO NOT have any faith in Sony ever sticking with ANYTHING to its true fruition.
Sony has some great ideas and their sensors are the best. But, like Derrel posted, 4 lens mounts in 10 years? Sony just doesn't stay with anything long enough to develop it into a system pro's or even serious amateurs have any faith in.
There are thousands of manual focus lenses that can be used and the best there is Leica there are pro's using Leica that are manual focus, I don't miss a shot because of manual focus

Manual focus lenses work pretty well on static or slow-moving stuff, like the dogs or cats lounging about, or horses jumping over equestrian jumps, where all one needs to do is PRE-focus, and wait, and click.

In the video, the only photos we saw were of starving Ethiopian people, staring ahead at yet another American who had traveled to their country to photograph their plight. Those images could have been shot with any one of 200 cameras. They were unremarkable photos in every way.

Not a lot of real challenges being overcome in ANY of these three types of scenarios.

We have a chap at are club who thinks he is the world's best wildlife photographer uses a Nikon D4's +600f4 I shot him down when I showed him the shots from the lad from New Zealand who posts on here with his Nex7 and Canon 500 fd manual focus lens

We (me included) are all like a group of little boys standing with our "sticks" in our hands shouting who's is better, who's is bigger.
At the end of the day who cares, if you are a pro and you do a job for someone and the customer is happy with the results he or she will not care if it was done with a Sony or a Nikon or a Canon or what ever.
If your camera and accesories deliver the goods then thats what matters.
I used to own a Sony camera and was happy with it, I now own a Nikon and I am very happy with it.
May I remind everybody here (as if you dont know) it really is about the photographer, the skills the photographer brings, the equipment is just the tool to deliver but the true magic is the person and not the equipment.

Interesting little piece from Thom Hogan:

A Nail in the DX Coffin? | byThom | Thom Hogan

This is one thing that seems like long time DSLR's struggle with -

Thing is, how would Nikon get someone like Bob Krist back? It’s a long list. Better video with an EVF instead of an LCD.

Seems like a lot of you guys don't want to let go of OVF's but EVF's are so much more convenient.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back