16 yr. old getting in to photography

maxwel9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys,
first off looks like you have a great forum going here!!
so heres the story:
I'm 16 years old and am wanting to into photography. My father got an olympus OM-1(don't know if that means anything to anyone) about 20 years ago, and took some classes on photography. So I have grown up my whole life with my dad always using his "cool camera" as I call it. The last couple of years I have begun to take interest in the camera. So I'm thinking maybe if I make enough money mowing lawns this summer that I will buy a digital slr, and I think I'm in the right place to find out about them. I'm just looking for something that i can use for the rest of my life(or atleast the next 10-15 years before technology gets better). So I was just looking for some suggestions on what to get, and also if anyone had any used setups that they were looking to get rid of or just any advice in general.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Max

Jumping straight up to a DSLR? That's a lot of bucks(lawns mowed) to shell out when you're just getting into it, but hey, more power to you. This coming from an also financially challenged teenager. :lol:

if you have the money spend 1000$ on E-bay for a Nikon D70 package......it's an awesome digi SLR that will last you for years......

well, everything depends on something.
you want to buy a Dslr, what kind of photography are you interested in, you could just go for a digital point and shoot, or a film slr, because of a few things, 1 DSLR's are pretty expensive (even the basic ones), Digital Point and shoot are a good way to go if you aren't interested in going over board (but you can't controll all the aspects of taking the photo, Film SLR (why go digital when you can buy a film SLR and if you start growing with it, meaning buying more godies like lenses ttl flash, etc. you can then when you have the money buy a same brand DSLR and use all the accesories with your new camera).
Hope it helps, also start searching for camera's and the prices to see also what you would like.
If you get enough money for any of the Two SLR's or the point and shoot, a good tripod allways helps specially with long exposures. so keep in mind of buying a tripod too.

quote]you could just go for a digital point and shoot[/quote]

Although digital point and shoots are good (the ones with some control) and useful (ive made some good stuff from mine) but you will get bored because of the lack of control.

Like said above, it depends what you want to do. if you want to do a lot of experimenting and shell out big bucks for the camera, card (and possibly the card reader if your camera doesn’t have a USB accessory)...and if you want to burn the images so you don’t lose them you'll need CDs and a burner. And to print you'll have to find a lab (I get mine for 60cents 4x6. i live in canada) to have them printed if you want that. I have my own personal photo albums that I show people of all the stuff I do and like.

I think you should jump into digital if you research it and know what a megapixel is (nothing under 3MP, promise?).

But getting a manual film SLR is good as well. I have that and I love it.

Film costs more of course and digital is good because you can see your images right away.

I wish I had a DSLR :( Film and digital are equally good in my opinion. It depends on how much money you want to spend.

I do a lot of experimenting with my camera.

When you are saying a digital SLR, do you mean one with a detachable lens? All SLR means is that you are composing with the same lens as you take the image with. A Polaroid instant camera is an SLR. Sorry to beat this to death, but I think there's a lot of misunderstanding around this term which can lead to bad choices. There is nothing inherent to an SLR that gives it any more features than any other camera. Many rangefinders have detatchable lenses, and many SLRs don't. It's a common misperception that you have to go up to something like a D70 to get a DSLR. What you are really doing is getting a DSLR with a detachable lens, and it uses the same lenses as existing film cameras. That is certainly a feature you have to pay a lot for, but you don't have to to get a DSLR.

hey guys thanks a lot for the responses:
I am thinking of getting the digital slr(with changable lenses) because I dont have access to a dark room, so I would end up taking all of my pictures to wal-mart. So I'm thinking if i can get the money that dslr would be much better. Ok after what you guys have said here is what I am looking for a digitasl slr with detachable lenses. I already have the card reader, some flashcards and a tripod that my parents own and I will be able to use, so all I really need is a good body and a couple lenses. Next question: will I be able to use the 3 lenses that my dad has for his old olympus on a new digital slr or not? and if I can will it be worth it?

thanks again guys

hey guys thanks a lot for the responses:
I am thinking of getting the digital slr(with changable lenses) because I dont have access to a dark room, so I would end up taking all of my pictures to wal-mart. So I'm thinking if i can get the money that dslr would be much better. Ok after what you guys have said here is what I am looking for a digitasl slr with detachable lenses. I already have the card reader, some flashcards and a tripod that my parents own and I will be able to use, so all I really need is a good body and a couple lenses. Next question: will I be able to use the 3 lenses that my dad has for his old olympus on a new digital slr or not? and if I can will it be worth it?

thanks again guys

I think it depends on the model. I don't know how that works (I'm more familiar with Canon cameras).

Make sure you do plenty of research, find a camera that can use those cards and lenses you have.

Goodluck! :) let us know what you decide :)

Why not just see if you can borrow your dads camera for starters? There's nothing it can't do that late model SLR's can do until you start getting into the goofy stuff when it comes to flashes and multiple exposures (though it might do multi exsposure, anyone?) I know it has DOF preview and mirror lockup which are sought after features. The Zuiko lenses that fit the OM's are top notch when it comes to sharpness. Granted the only thing you're missing is autofocus but that doesn't make a camera system better, only faster in certain situations.

Ebay is loaded with good deals on older cameras and lenses that are easily obtainable with money earned with summer jobs. Or I can sell you my mint condition Nikon 5005 for cheap :p

Max, In the mean time, why don't you ask your Dad if you can use his OM1? They're a decent camera and a good platform to learn the basics on.

ya I have been using my dad's camera for a couple years now, you know, trying to figure out hte basics. I rpobably don't NEED a top of the line d slr right now, so I figured I would check here and see if anyone had a deal on one that they weren't using anymore. So I will probably use my dad's for another year or so, and then look into a D70 package on ebay or something. Thanks for all your help guys. If you have any other coments feel free to leave them.

P.S. I should probably take a photography class or buy a couple books before I buy a $1,500 set up.

I definitely agree that learning the basics of using a camera is a good idea before spending $1500 on a camera outfit.

There are a lot of great books and some really good web sites for learning about exposure, etc.

I think the impression a lot of people have is that buying an expensive, cool camera automatically makes you take better pictures. But I have seen some photos taken with $5000+ equipment that I wouldn't line a brdcage with. The most important part of any camera system is the person behind the viewfinder, whether you're using the OM-1, a D70, or a $75 point&shoot. Having an eye for composition, and learning the basics of exposure will mean more to your photography than $1000's of equipment.

So, read up on the relationship between shutterspeed, aperture and film speed. Take an art class to develop your eye for background and placement of subject, etc. And practice, practice, practice.

Wal-Mart around here carries 4-packs of Polaroid 35mm film for about $6 and 2-day processing for single prints is $4 or less. That makes the final cost per roll developed less than $6. Buy a notebook and write down your exposure for each shot, as well as a description of the shot so you can look over your notes when you get the prints back and see what worked, what didn't. This is the best way to apply what you're learning from the photograhy books you're reading.

And think about a fixed-lens digital. I have an Olympus C-4000 in addition to my film equipment. It has nearly all the features my film equipment has: aperture control, shutterspeed control, flash exposure adjustment, spot-metering, ability to slow-sync the flash, exposure compensation, etc. And it cost me about $250. Add $50 for a larger memory card, and I can shoot hundreds of shots at once, upload, and see the results immediately. This speeds the learning curve a good bit.

There are nicer digitals available in the $4-500 range which have most of the controls of their more expensive cousins.

Hope some of this is helpful. :D

/end ramble

:/edit for speeling :wink:

I also am thinking of venturing into the DSLR world. I currently have a minolta maxxum 5 that I love dearly, but Ive found my own personal problem with film cameras is that you cant see your images immediately thru film (I think my problem may be more that im too impatient to wait the hour for the film to be developed)

One of the many pros to a good digital. Saying that I have been to look at many digital cameras, and found a lot of them to be a bit over my head. While Im thinking that nonetheless Ill prolly still buy a DSLR this summer, they seem to be a great investment if you are truely into photography.

Ive found that Costco has some pretty well priced DSLRs now, so you may wanna take a look there if your shopping round.

And BTW, as to walmart for prints, if your fussy like I am about your prints, I really wouldnt recommend walmart. At least the walmart where I used to get my prints done printed on cheap looking matte paper, so I would ask them first what they print on if your particular to glossy/semi gloss ect.

Just my 3 cents :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back