85mm 1.5 or Zoom?

ravindram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to add 1 more lens to my collection (if 2 is a collection). Currently i have a 35mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.8. I am looking to do more portraits (half and full body). I was looking at the 85mm 1.8 but a lot of people say it will be too close to the 50mm. I am also looking at telephoto lenses. I would like to keep the price down get get the best IQ for my money. I have a D90 BTW. Any help would be great. Thanks

I have heard NOTHING but good things about the 85 mm, its supposed to be the best portrait lens.

sbakewell1101 said:
I have heard NOTHING but good things about the 85 mm, its supposed to be the best portrait lens.

85 1.4 is suppose to be the best.

I just returned the 85 f1.8 because it wasn't the one I ordered but it's a pretty nice lens. I would get it if your interested in portaits!

The 50mm gives a field of view like a 75mm. The 85 would give more like ~135mm on DX. As suggested recently in a thread, there is 2.8/80-200 zoom which is good. Older versions, second-hand can be found. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D (new)

I just returned the 85 f1.8 because it wasn't the one I ordered but it's a pretty nice lens. I would get it if your interested in portaits!
Really? What did you order/get?

dots said:
Really? What did you order/get?

I actually ordered the 85 f/3.5 macro. I really liked the 85 1.8 but its manual focus on my camera and I wanted a macro. Oh yeah, the lens I received cost less money than the one I ordered!

3.5/85 macro ..sounds interesting.. I'm going to google The Rockwell and read about it

85mm is a bit long on a DX sensor, you just need room to shoot it which can be an issue indoors sometimes.

I haven't used the 1.8 but I do own the 1.4D and it's a spectacular portrait lens, I have read quite a bit on the 1.8 and hear it's quality is equal to the 1.4D.

The 85 1.4D is a fantastic portrait lens, but not the best in my mind! The AF-S G is better from the tests I have seen, the new Nikkor 1.4 seems to be a real improvement.

The 85 1.8 is definitely not the best portrait lens in any respect, in my opinion its good for shooting scenes as it's very sharp across the frame. That's not to say the 85mm 1.8 can not make great portraits, we all know it can. But it is old hat technology now with dreadful bokeh and tons of purple fringing. Which was enough for me to simply sell it a week after I bought one! I simply felt it was a waste of money, specially as I felt my 70-300 VR easily matched it at similar apertures.

Luvn' the 70-200 VRII zoom on my DX body.

Not that I shoot it zoomed all the way every time I actuate the shutter.

Luvn' the 70-200 VRII zoom on my DX body.

Not that I shoot it zoomed all the way every time I actuate the shutter.

There's no denying that 2Wheel, give me a 70-200 VR over a 85 1.8 any day of the week, as long as your man enough for the weight and the price then your a sure fire winner! Oh I do wish I could afford one! haha

The 85 1.4D is a fantastic portrait lens, but not the best in my mind! The AF-S G is better from the tests I have seen, the new Nikkor 1.4 seems to be a real improvement.

The 85 1.8 is definitely not the best portrait lens in any respect, in my opinion its good for shooting scenes as it's very sharp across the frame. That's not to say the 85mm 1.8 can not make great portraits, we all know it can. But it is old hat technology now with dreadful bokeh and tons of purple fringing. Which was enough for me to simply sell it a week after I bought one! I simply felt it was a waste of money, specially as I felt my 70-300 VR easily matched it at similar apertures.

Correct, the G is supposed to a a bit better. I bought this before the G came out and I really only shoot it in controlled situations where I don't need the nano coat to deal with flare. The D version is still a contender, it's nice and sharp and has not let me down yet.

Correct, the G is supposed to a a bit better. I bought this before the G came out and I really only shoot it in controlled situations where I don't need the nano coat to deal with flare. The D version is still a contender, it's nice and sharp and has not let me down yet.

Yeah no doubt about it Blair, I am splitting hairs here! The G version just sorts out the minor flaws the D version had. As you clearly know yourself, the 85 1.4 D produces incredible portrait results! It's been used worldwide by pros for years for a reason.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back