a few portraits from the summer

Yes soft is an opinion, but don't make yourself feel good by saying "opinion". Portraits generally have softer lighting, sometimes softer focus but mostly softer lighting. the focus is usually not that soft. Don't turn around and say "opinion" when you don't get the critique you like. Oh and if you are setting your camera to portrait mode thats your first mistake. You should only be shooting manual to gain the most control of your camera.

well incase u didn't know, when shooting in manual mode on the d80 you have the option in the main menue between things like more vivid, vidid, portrait, ect. i don't use them, but i was using the portrait setting as an example that usually portraits have a softer look to them. thanks for tryn to sound smart tho.

Im not trying to sound smart at all. Even though on the D80 u can still set everything MANUALLY. Im saying, don't take someones critique and blow it off because u generalize everything you don't like into "opinion" when you dont get the responce you feel you should get. Because pretty much everything said in this forum could be put down as opinion. please don't patronize me because Im right, oh I forgot its all just opinion.

Im not trying to sound smart at all. Even though on the D80 u can still set everything MANUALLY. Im saying, don't take someones critique and blow it off because u generalize everything you don't like into "opinion" when you dont get the responce you feel you should get. Because pretty much everything said in this forum could be put down as opinion. please don't patronize me because Im right, oh I forgot its all just opinion.

lol

I think you did a really good job. Of course you do need some better light to help with the shadows (Hey, I have been there too :)) I think #2 is really good just like something you would see in a magazine.

Excellent camera work. I am intrigued by the subjects and their environment. Great light. Only crit I have is that homeboy's hands in the second frame are slightly stiff. Personally; hands are very important in portraiture be sure to give them extra attention. Again the slight fill of a reflector would open those pesky shadows. If you go that route investigate white, silver and gold colors and buy large sizes. Then you will need someone to hold it. So take that into consideration. Fill flash may or may not kill the mood of the light. Buy a good flash because it will always come in handy. That is a whole other story.

Not a fan of no post processing, but getting it close out of the camera is everyones goal. Again; that is a whole other story.

Love & Bass

#3 is not a keeper at all, IMO.

The branch at his head is a shot killer for one. Make sure you're checking the edges in your viewfinder.

It seems noisy to me. Since you said there was no PP, that tells me you had the ISO cranked up. I would suggest using a tripod and keeping the ISO down so you can use the longer shutters without having to handhold.

Model certainly doesn't look like he is into being photographed at all.

#1 doesn't really trip my trigger. I don't really have much to say about it good or bad. Maybe a different angle or gesture, I dunno. But I will say that the puffy shirt makes her look knocked up. If she is knocked up, that is dandy, but if she isn't, I doubt she would care for the shot much. ;)

#2 is good to go. It does remind me of a clothing ad as others have already mentioned. Considering that sentiment, it might be getting to be a worn out style and will loose favor soon. Left hand seems a tad awkward, but that is a minor niggle to me. Most of the power is in the posture and facial expression in this shot for me.

By the way, don't climb someone's tree when they give you a critique that you yourself asked for (by virtue of posting in this forum) simply because you disagree with their findings. If you don't want honest feedback, stick to the gallery forums. That person took time to review your work, form an honest opinion and type out their thoughts for your consideration.

Fresh eyes and a different perspective are two of the most valuable tools a photographer has, and they only way to use those tools are by showing your work and seeking opinion.

If someone tells you that your work resembles a hat full of smashed buttholes, but then tells you why, smile, nod, say, "Thank You." and consider their opinions based on the individual rather than what the individual had to say.

If Larry the Cable guy told me that he really enjoyed my nudes, I would appreciate the comment but lend it little credence, but if Jaques Sturgis told me they needed work, I would be crushed and rushing to the drawing board.

The branch at his head is a shot killer for one. Make sure you're checking the edges in your viewfinder.

It seems noisy to me. Since you said there was no PP, that tells me you had the ISO cranked up. I would suggest using a tripod and keeping the ISO down so you can use the longer shutters without having to handhold.

Model certainly doesn't look like he is into being photographed at all.

#1 doesn't really trip my trigger. I don't really have much to say about it good or bad. Maybe a different angle or gesture, I dunno. But I will say that the puffy shirt makes her look knocked up. If she is knocked up, that is dandy, but if she isn't, I doubt she would care for the shot much. ;)

#2 is good to go. It does remind me of a clothing ad as others have already mentioned. Considering that sentiment, it might be getting to be a worn out style and will loose favor soon. Left hand seems a tad awkward, but that is a minor niggle to me. Most of the power is in the posture and facial expression in this shot for me.

By the way, don't climb someone's tree when they give you a critique that you yourself asked for (by virtue of posting in this forum) simply because you disagree with their findings. If you don't want honest feedback, stick to the gallery forums. That person took time to review your work, form an honest opinion and type out their thoughts for your consideration.

Fresh eyes and a different perspective are two of the most valuable tools a photographer has, and they only way to use those tools are by showing your work and seeking opinion.

If someone tells you that your work resembles a hat full of smashed buttholes, but then tells you why, smile, nod, say, "Thank You." and consider their opinions based on the individual rather than what the individual had to say.

If Larry the Cable guy told me that he really enjoyed my nudes, I would appreciate the comment but lend it little credence, but if Jaques Sturgis told me they needed work, I would be crushed and rushing to the drawing board.

thank you for the advice, also a5i or whatever, i wasn't tryn to blow off your critic, sorry you took it the wrong way and we had to start an argument. I value everyones opinion, whether or not it doesn't seem that way as i am not too good with words.

1st photo there needs to be some more detail in the face, the sunlight took that away, I didn't think there was anything captivating about the pose. maybe if she was lying back in the grass, or had a different expression, but I found it boring.

2nd Photo I liked this photo, except for two things. Firstly Is a shot I would look at taking myself, and consider making a large print. I think it is a good pose, aside from the stiff hands, maybe more relaxed would be better. I think it would be more interesting if the background wasn't so stale. Lastly again, the face in greater detail would have made it such a better shot. However I do think the idea behind the shot is a good one.

3rd Photo I don't like at all, its not in great detail, and I think the rock makes the picture look so uninspiring. I was thinking the guy in the photo just doesn't seem to fit in.

THANK YOU

thank you for the advice, also a5i or whatever, i wasn't tryn to blow off your critic, sorry you took it the wrong way and we had to start an argument. I value everyones opinion, whether or not it doesn't seem that way as i am not too good with words.
its all good

too soft is an opinion, some people like soft portraits. quote]

Perhaps but slightly out-of-focus is not an opinion and only a few inexperienced amateurs like soft portraits. Try reading some books on portraiture and you will find what I say is true.

skieur

Way too many comments above me to actually read them, so I'll just talk with the fear of sounding like a broken record. I think the first one is the best, but that might be because I don't like looking at guys as much as girls, and yeah, maybe that's sexist. But I do think it's the best of the three technicaly. I'm curious as to whether the shot would be better if you cropped her lower half out. Concentrated on her pretty face a bit more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back