A-Level Photography - In need of an SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by _Becka_, Aug 30, 2006.

1. _Becka_

_Becka_ TPF Noob!

I'm starting a Photography course in college in a few weeks time. We don't have to purchase a camera straight away but I thought it'd be best to get some ideas on what to get.

We need to have a 35mm SLR camera.
    I'm not that familiar with different cameras and all their specs but I would like some ideas on good cameras for a good price. I'm not looking for anything over £200.

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

2. Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not sure of the going rate, but you should be able to find a Pentax K-1000, or Canon AE-1 kit complete within your price range...

3. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have an olympus om-101 manual focus / powerfocus with ttl metering and a 35-70mm and a 70-200mm im thinking of selling

4. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nikon N-55, N-65if you can still find it, Nikon N-75, Canon film Rebel

all have the versatility of being totally manual or totally automatic with several steps in between they also have pop-up flashes and are extermely light so they can be used as just general snapshot cameras.

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do what I did and go the cheap way out on the body, but get a really slick lens.

My first SLR was a completly manual Nikon FE. This thing is a brick i tell you. So what if it's manual focus, it will still make the same image as a Nikon F6. if you buy an old, cheap body like that, you'll be able to afford glass like the 35-70mm f/2.8.

I used that combination for about 2 years and i had no problem with it.

6. _Becka_

_Becka_ TPF Noob!

7. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

It is a 35mm SLR for 35mm film, but it seems quite expensive - this one is on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-MZ-60_...ryZ15240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

B&H sell them in the states new for about £99 with the lens, and that one is used.

Ebay is a good place for low priced good quality film cameras, especially as more and more people turn to digital, there are some real bargains to be had.

Cheapest way is to go for the manual cameras with manual lenses if you want the best wuality for your money, as someone said the Canon AE-1 or similar as FD lenses are a fraction of the price of EF lenses for the modern cameras.

Then there are other makes - like an older pentax, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus etc etc

8. Zeabned

Zeabned TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some very good camera suggestions have been made to you in this thread. But before you choose, first make sure that the course instructors are not requiring (as they some times do) a manual-only camera. My daughter is taking a similar course in Miami Dade College and it requires a manual camera. My daughter chose the Pentax ZX-M, which is accepted by the course instructors as a manual camera when fitted with a manual only lens. Good luck with your course.

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Usually when instructors say "manual camera" they mean manual exposure. With the exception of a few weird, entry level SLRs from the late 80's/early 90's almost all auto-focus, 35mm SLRs can go manual exposure, and manual focus.

The Pentax ZX-M is a manual focus camera, with program, Av, Tv, and manual exposure. If you put an auto-focus lens on it, it's still manual focus.

10. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Really you should still stick to Nikon or Canon.

11. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, stick with either one becuase Nikon and Canon offer more lens variety.

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Name one lens that Canon or Nikon makes that allows for a photograph that you'd be unable to make with a lens from a different manufacturer.

Canon and Nikon have more lenses because they push the philosophy that photography is about the gear, and upgrading constantly. This attitude is great for Canon and Nikon stockholders, but pretty much useless for actual photography.