A&S mode?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by redtippmann, Jul 28, 2009.

1. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    well I have been shooting in manual mode for a while and never bothered with the shutter and aperture priority mode. I just used it and I was just wondering if its considered cheating (like putting it in auto mode). Also is there any downside with using these modes? thanks!

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cheating?

No such thing... if you get the photo you want that's all that matters. For me, if I find myself in Manual mode and constantly adjusting the exposure to be perfect I just switch to Aperture Priority - it will do this for me automatically. Same goes for Shutter Priority, however I don't use that as often.

The only time I usually stay in manual is if I'm trying to do something a little more creative with my exposure.

I hope that makes sense.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you look at a photo hanging on the wall...do you ask what mode it was taken in? Well, maybe YOU do...but most people won't.

Really, it just doesn't matter. There is little difference between shooting in manual and shooting in other modes while adjusting the EC (exposure compensation). A shot taken at F8 & 1/125 with an ISO of 100 will be the same in any mode.

4. kric2schaam626

kric2schaam626 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am horrible at making my manual mode "work" on my D80! How do you set it?

5. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could you explain a little more?

If I understand your question correctly, set the camera to M (manual mode) and start changing the shutter speed or aperture. If you look in the viewfinder you will see the exposure meter, the 'correct' exposure will be had once the arrow is in the middle. Adjust either until this happens and you will have a properly exposed image.

Proper 'creatively' exposed images are done by adjusting these values higher or lower than what the camera 'thinks' is correct.

Check out a book called Understanding Exposure, or search it on YouTube - it's a nice resource.

6. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Only the end result matters. It does not matter how you get to the end result.;)

7. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not a big fan of auto modes other then handing the camera off to someone else and then I usually put it into Program mode. Maybe its me, but Nikon F100 was more reliable in PAS then newer digitals.
    ...eeeh to each his own:meh:...