Adobe are SCUM

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by kap55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You guys should read some of your software agreements. You don't have any rights, they can revoke your usage of software at any time. I haven't read the adobe online stuff but it probably contains that same stuff.

Many companies prefer the "subscription" model as it generates a consistent monthly income. Which is much more sustainable for a company to budget and provide feedback to the investors. I think Adobe was one of the first "PC companies" to start moving to that model years back, mimicking the large software companies who may have monthly or annual maintenance fees (SAP, etc).

I don't like contracts myself. So I try to avoid them at all costs unless I read the agreement in detail. When I bought my house, they had to send me a copy of the agreement a few days before hand as I told them I was going to read every line before signing. And they didn't want a delay like that going through the signing process. I used to read all the contracts for an auto company too for the mgt reviews.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Just HAD to use a "Disagree" on your comment...the 48th time I have used it, in multiple years.

16,650 LIKES given by me...48 Disagrees given by me...

I stopped by the ADOBE site about 3 minutes ago...their terms of service are deceptive; if it were a fricking RADIO or TV commercial, they'd have government regulations forcing them to disclose that the "monthly plan" includes a HEFTY discontinuance charge.

I lost all respect for Adobe as a company when they tried to force a $50 a MONTH charge onto their millions and millions of Photoshop users; the hue and cry was soooooooooo extreme, from millions of users, that they cut their ransom demand from $50 a month for Photoshop...down to $9.95 a month for Lightroom and Photoshop.

From my POV, the bottom line? Try to rip off your entire customer base, then get shot down, and cut the cost FIVE fold and throw in another software product? Unconscionable. Highway robbery attempt.

SORRY...but , "Prepare to bend over and lube up!!" is the way Adobe treated all of its paying customers. Many of us will never forgive that sort of rude treatment. Ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

Derrel +1.

It all started with Windows locking you in, Apple does it. I updated to Windows 10, well, because I had too. Adobe's just continuing with the tradition of forever annuities for themselves without having to do too much. If you're in business, you write it off as part of doing business. But for average people, it stinks when you feel you're getting ripped off with huge on-going costs for a mature product that offers little in extras. It's like paying monthly alimony. :)

4. TreeofLifeStairs

TreeofLifeStairs No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I purchased cs5 and lr5 right before they went to their subscription model. Everything has worked great for me for years now but I went and had to buy a new camera and screw everything up. As has been mentioned already, they no longer support those older versions so now when I shoot raw I need to use their dng converter. :/ This is the first I’ve been effected by the whole thing. I knew the day would come but I was hoping it would have been a few more years still.

Now to the op’s point; I understand having a contract for the first year so that the company can be ensured a certain amount of profitability from a customer but generally after that the customer is charged month to month since the contract is fulfilled. I think most contracts are this way...cell phones, gym memberships, alarm companies and so on. I don’t think it’s a stretch for the op to have been led to believe that his/her membership with adobe would be any different. Yes, you are right, that the fine print should be read, but I completely understand his/her position on the matter. I’m also with Derrel in thinking that Adobe’s reason for this system is purely motivated by greed.

I’m wondering, now that you’ve canceled and have been charged the 50% of the remaining time. Do you get to use the software for 1/2 the time between now and your anniversary date?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Windows and Photoshop/Lightroom have VERY different business models. One is one-time payment while the other asks money from you constantly every single month.
    Also, Microsoft did it because it's not realistic to provide updates and fixes for xx old software. It's very unrealistic and it's actually good MS prefers to have a single version and update that instead of having multiple versions.

6. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So how does that make my statement wrong? If you don't like Adobe's practices, don't use them. You disagree with people needing to read contracts before they sign them? You disagree with people choosing not to use a service they don't agree with? You disagree with adobe not being the only company in the world to do this?
    Well, if that's how you feel, so be it.
    But the fact remains that for many many peopke, adobe cc is the best deal around.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

7. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    @Derrel my business law professor in college was a practicing attorney who taught classes on the side because he loved the law, he later became my friend and company attorney. His words still remain, if it isn't in writing it doesn't exist, so make damned sure you cover everything you need to in your contracts. He also said edit your contracts in 12 point, and print them in 6 point. While not making an effort to draw attention to penalty clauses might be distasteful to some, it certainly isn't illegal. I mean we are talking about adults who should be wearing their big boy/girl pants when considering any contract for service, be it photography, utility, cable, etc. Ignorance of the terms is not a valid excuse in a court room, unless the wording is so ambiguous that the meaning would be unclear to most people.

Unlike other contracts, service contracts are generally written such that you have to accept the terms or go elsewhere. If enough people refused to sign, the company would have no choice but to modify the terms. In Adobe's case that doesn't appear to be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Actually I believe the UK/EU did pass legislation against the practice of tiny/fine print in contracts. Whilst the information is still there its a clear attempt to be deceptive by printing information of a size which is difficult to read and which is only done to discourage reading.

Also many contracts are not actually legal. Software companies are notorious for having contracts which would not stand up in court; they got away with it because basically no one on either side ever really came to the table to challenge/enforce some aspects. Though its better now but it is a sign that computer law is lagging behind practice.

The other aspect is cost; for most people challenging bit company contracts isn't worth it in the short nor long run financially speaking.

That said an early contract termination clause (as cited in the original post of this thread) is pretty standard practice for many companies both small and large. One or two months rent; half the policy etc... are all pretty standard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd considered getting LR/PS but now that I know the details I never will. Rest assured your vengence is bearing fruit the more you let people know about what they're truly up to. It's bad enough they want you to pay yearly the price it used to be to just own it. I second the advice to contact your CC and report the fruadulent charges before canceling the card altogether if they won't cooperate.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  10. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    lmao. They didn't even try using spit, let alone lube!

This may have well been their marketing material:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah...the people that cannot do math...I wasted $240 with NO UPDATES to the software that had any value to me. So I went back to a purchased and owned copy of Lightroom, and earlier, purchased-and-owned versions of Photoshop.

BUYING a software application that does not rely on an internet connection and constant snooping on the customer is an easier way, and saves money in a very short amount of time.

Look...I was with Adobe Photoshop since version 2.1. Adobe Cretin Cloud promises "updates", but what it really does, for many people, is to suck money off of their bank card, every month, for long time frames.

The "best deal" is to BUY software, and to OWN it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!