alright im ready for a macro LENS!

electrickiisses

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
but i need help. i don't really know what i should be looking for.

i really would love to take photos of eyes, water on plants, bugs and what not...REALLY CLOSE UP!

i have heard sigma has great macro lenses but is that anything else that would be a little cheaper but work pretty much the same.

really just any advice would work for me cause i really would love to buy one.

please and thanks!

:hug::

My_Tiny_Treasure_by_SmallMi.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/view/37512126/

Thank you to SMALLMI.DEVIANTART.COM

look at those finger PRINTS!! I want that!

You can go to something like a Sigma 105mm macro f2.8 about $350. Alternatively you can buy a set of diopter lenses that screw onto the front of your favorite lens. These work great, not as good as a macro lens, but certainly great to begin with. Mindou they will also set you back about $150.

I suggest a 105mm, that way you don't have to get quite so close to your subject. I have a 60mm Nikon I picked up through e-bay - great lens. I also have a set of diopter lenses and sometimetimes I have used the two together.

i've got the sigma 105 f2.8, and its sharp and fast, but i find myself wanting more distance between myself and my subjects. If i had to do it again, and had more money to spend, i'd get a 150mm f2.8 or 180mm f3.5 from either sigma or canon probably.

yes i actually have 3 of those but they of course don't work as well as a real macro lens.

what the difference between a 105 mm macro and a 55 mm macro?
Like i said before i don't know what exactly to look for and why to look for them and why certain mm are better than others. I'm clueless on actual macro lenses.

thank you for your input though.

means alot! :)

henryhurrry said:
You can go to something like a Sigma 105mm macro f2.8 about $350. Alternatively you can buy a set of diopter lenses that screw onto the front of your favorite lens. These work great, not as good as a macro lens, but certainly great to begin with. Mindou they will also set you back about $150.

I suggest a 105mm, that way you don't have to get quite so close to your subject. I have a 60mm Nikon I picked up through e-bay - great lens. I also have a set of diopter lenses and sometimetimes I have used the two together.

electrickiisses said:
yes i actually have 3 of those but they of course don't work as well as a real macro lens.

what the difference between a 105 mm macro and a 55 mm macro?
Like i said before i don't know what exactly to look for and why to look for them and why certain mm are better than others. I'm clueless on actual macro lenses.

thank you for your input though.

means alot! :)

I was talking about a 150mm macro and a 180mm macro. Macro lenses usually come in 50-60mm lengths, and 100mm and 150-180mm focal lengths. All of these should be able to go down to 1:1 ratios. The difference in them is as I stated. You can get farther away from your subjects, but obviously the DOF decreases with the longer focal lengths.

ahh alright so then this macro on ebay should do a pretty good job then?

all i want is to be able to do close up shots of eyes and just really close detail photographs.

thank you :)

looks like its manual focus and kinda old, why don't you try for something newer and faster with AF?

I just ordred a reverising ring for some lenses. A friend has some stunning shots using it, might want to give one a try. I will post some pics with it this week :). I have also heard great things about the Nikon 105 vr, suppose to be great for macro shots. hmmm dont know what your shooting with?

yes, i would also recommend the nikon 105mm f2.8 with VR...supposed to be very sharp

i don't have that kinda of money though. haha

so do you think that lens i showed you on ebay would be alright?

i do not have ea problem w/a manual focus macro.

i just want to know if it will do the trick, being able to get great close up detail.

electrickiisses said:
im looking for something that will get me REALLY CLOSE!

A 50mm lens and 65mm of extension tubes will get you closer than 1:1, which is more magnification than any macro lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back